Crestie vs Garg...environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crestie vs Garg...environment

So, as I slowly get closer to completion of my Vivarium, I'm still debating a Crestie vs Garg. From my research, they both require about the same environment.
    Some pros that have me leaning towards a Garg
    1. Drops tail, regrows
    2. Sticky feets!
    3. Doesn't require live food 100% of the time.
    #3 is a big thing, as the woman of the house isn't keen on having bins of live bugs around. She's ok with Isopods and Springtails for cleanup, but crickets, worms, etc just hanging around aren't a plus. Plus, this saves on gut loading, dusting, and handling in case I'm not around to.
    So with #3, am I certainly better off with a Garg (little "bug"jello cups?)

I absolutely love my gargoyle gecko. She's an absolute sweetie, and eats her pangea diet like a pig. When it comes to bugs, just in my own experience, my garg is not a big bug eater. I keep a small colony of roaches for my chewie, but my garg never had any interest in bugs of any kind.

So, honestly, I think you'll be fine with a garg or crestie (but mostly garg, I'm biased). So long as you have the gecko on a complete diet and it's not losing weight, I think not having bugs won't be a big problem.
    1.0.0 M. Chahoua {Tiamat}
    1.0 Fluffy Cardigan Welsh Corgi {Rigby}

Comment

I have one of each, and the care is pretty much the same. I had heard that gargs are usually a little more tolerant of handling; neither my crestie nor garg like being handled though, so both are display animals for the most part, but both have good temperaments. Neither of mine care for bugs of any kind, and do well on Pangea. I do buy the flavors with bugs though! Both the cresties and gargs have sticky feets! Good luck with whatever you decide, I'm interested to see what you bring home!
      Last edited by TAD; 05-24-2020, 09:10 PM.
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Originally posted by Duders View Post
        When it comes to bugs, just in my own experience, my garg is not a big bug eater.
        This is something I've heard and read repeatedly, hence my post. Thank you

Originally posted by TAD View Post
        I had heard that gargs are usually a little more tolerant of handling; neither my crestie nor garg like being handled though.
        I've heard, read, researched the same. In all actuality. it seems Cresties are maybe about 5% more skittish. I'm more concerned about live food...the less, the better.

Originally posted by TAD View Post
        Both the cresties and gargs have sticky feets!
        No, Cresties have little claws. Not sticky feets like we've been lead to believe (Geico). If I'm wrong, I ask someone to guide me. I could've sworn cresties weren't sticky foots.

Comment

Cresties indeed have sticky feet with little claws. They use the sticky part of their feet to climb on smooth surfaces (like leaves in nature and glass, walls, etc. in captivity) and the claws to climb on rough surfaces (like bark in nature and people's clothing in captivity). For the record, gargs have claws, too.
          3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Also, the Geico gecko is based on a day gecko (no particular species), not anything from New Caledonia.

Adult cresties are mostly not into bugs, either, though when they're young and growing quickly, they're pretty into bugs. I'm not sure about whether this is the same for gargs.
            3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm getting closer to finishing my Viv, and therfore closer to getting one. I've decided I'm going to get a Garg. If you get a chance, check out my custom Viv build thread. It's been slow progress, but mostly because I want to make sure I'm going down the right path.

Comment

I think your new garg will love his tank!
                Eileen
                TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
                Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
                X