Flooring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooring.

Is it possible for a very young crested gecko to die because of using moss flooring (like jungle bed)?
    I know everyone says that paper towels work &I was just wondering if the gecko was very young could it die from eating the flooring?

Yes any reptile can die from eating the floor or other material, it is called impaction.
    John Barkowski
    1.0.0 Ice/Sandfire Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Comment

Ok. So do you think that I should use paper towels instead?
      &how long would it take a gecko to die from that?

Comment

I recommend paper towel over anything, It all depends on how much they ate, and how old they are and the health of the gecko.
        John Barkowski
        0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
        0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
        Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Comment

Well my brother just got his second gecko from a breeder who we have always bought reptiles from. It was 2months old and in great health, but about 11 hours after it had arrived it died and we can't figure out why.
          This was the first time we had anything shipped instead of driving up.

Comment

I would have a necropsy done if you are really intrested in the death, did you contact the breeder? What is your setup?
            John Barkowski
            0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
            0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua

Comment

I've known the breeder for years. I don't know if maybe the FedEx were rough with the package or what.
              He had some branches for climbing and a little hollow log thing for hiding with the jungle bed flooring.
              He's going up later next week to get a new one but I was just curious.

Comment

&it's not the first crested gecko he has had.

Comment

i use a rubbery shelf liner cut to size. it looks nicer than papertowels, and easy to clean. no impactions.
                  ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
                  1.0.0 appaloosa horse
                  1.1.0 jack Russells
                  1. husband

Comment

Where can you get those?

Comment

walmart, Target, cvs, etc.. look for shelf liner. then you'll find the rubbery ones. not the type with holes in it, but the flat and rubbery ones. they last for years, easy to clean.
                      ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
                      1.0.0 appaloosa horse
                      1.1.0 jack Russells
                      1. husband

Comment

Awesome, thank you so much!

Comment

For young geckos I use nothing but paper towels. It helps to put my mind at ease because I can be assured they aren't eating their substrate when they go to take a dive for a cricket. Paper towels also allow for me to monitor their waste levels and it will also absorb water and help keep a small container moist. Small or inexperienced cresteds are incredibly clumsy when it comes to hunting for insects, and will normally miss the first few times during feeding. (if they are fed insects at all) It's quite possible for them to miss and ingest some of their substrate. Normally they will spit it out, but sometimes they aren't always so lucky. It takes a lot of substrate for a gecko to become impacted, but with little guys it's a lot easier for it to happen quickly.

With older geckos, I'm a fan of naturalistic tanks. This isn't to say the play-it-safe options are inferior, I just like the way it looks better and it allows me to simulate their habitat easier with live plants and keep the geckos required humidity levels up at all times.

If later on you chose to go this way, I recommend using organic potting soil, with no chemical ingredients or perilite balls added in. If a gecko swallows a perilite ball they can either choke or get impacted from just these. I also shy away from coconut fiber or the reptile marketed version "bed-a-beast," because I find as it gets dry, it's particles get fluffy and loose and would be much easier for a reptile to accidently swallow. Dirt or beddings that hold in more moisture and stay compacted to the bottom of the tank are better to use and pose less of a risk of impaction.

Using live plants makes it easier to clean a naturalistic enclosure, just because plants will absorb most of the waste into their roots. Ideally if you get a bioactive tank going, you should never have to change your substrate and it will never develop a foul odor. The dirt has to be tilled/stirred every few days to send the waste to the bottom to ferment and break down where the plants will absorb the nitrates. This keeps the tank clean and the plants thriving.

Naturalistic enclosures are from my standpoint, safe to use with crested geckos. There is always a small risk for impaction, but if it is set up correctly, it lowers that risk. I think you should use whatever you feel the most comfortable with however. I just like to offer more options.

If your brother's gecko died after 11 hours, it probably wouldn't have been impaction related. Impaction kills an animal very slowly and it would have been showing signs of paralysis before then. How was the animal shipped? What was the outside temps from the breeders location to your own? Was it shipped with a hot or cold pack? How did the animal look upon arrival? Knowing these things may help to figure out out what happened, although only a necropsy performed by an experienced vet can say for sure.
                          Last edited by CrestedLove27; 06-24-2007, 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling
                          ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Comment

Thanks a lot.
                            It was shipped FedEx overnight. It was probably about mid 70's. He won't ship if it's too hot in either cities, &we live in the same state so it probably wasn't much of a difference in the temps. I don't know what you mean by hot or cold packs, but he looked fine when it first arrived but then it started acting funny a few hours later.
                            I'm taking him to up to the breeders house on Thursday to get a new one.

Comment

Oh and he looked awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X