No announcement yet.

Anybody shipping with FedEx!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat rate boxes mean end of day, not early am, which you shouldnt be using USPS anyway, they are aweful. DHL has a small animal waiver form, and if the package is LOST, they pay up to 150$. for expensive animals, you should just use delta dash.

Comment

Originally posted by monster View Post
      now i'm at a loss here. i'm still somewhat new to the actual shipping of the animals, i was told many many many times that the insurance purchased was only for the $$ of the shipment and does not cover the declaired value of the item inside, be it live reptile or grandma's china. (so then what's the point of the declaired value price if it's exempt from live shipments??)
      i was on the phone today with both USPS & UPS over an hour going in circles with diffrent Rep's.
      one lady even suggested to me that i just ship them in a flate rate box.:-?
      Nope, insurance purchased, as long as you declare it; does cover material goods. I've had to file several claims today despite adequate packing unfortunately...
      -Harold
      CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Alan View Post
        A physics expert I am not, but I am having an extremely hard time understanding why a moisture source within a non-airtight container would cause the temperature within that container to be higher then the ambient temperature in the shipping box. If I'm reading your post correctly, you're contending that if the ambient within the shipping container is 80F, the temperature within a deli up with a moist paper towel will be greater then 80F.

I don't believe this to be the case, but I'd certainly be open to some kind of "Myth Busters" kind of experiment to prove it one way or the other. I don't believe that increasing the humidity in a deli cup will have any bearing on the temperature within that cup.

I plan on remaining a moist paper towel kind of guy until I can be convinced that this "increased humidity causes increased temperature" thing can be proven.
        Perhaps I should have clarified this and stayed away from physics! For me, it is more of a comfort issue. I use dry because the paper towel maintains form and prevents the gecko from being bounced around too much. That's the main reason. The comfort to me is that the animal isn't moist when the temps get on the cool side or the warm side. Perhaps it doesn't alter temps but it does (to humans, as posted earlier) make the temps FEEL hotter or colder. Something about water molecules, etc etc.

I'd like to point out that every animal I have ever shipped or received has been on dry paper towel with no issues whatsoever. I do not ship nor ask to receive any animals when temps could be "fatal". It's a method that works for me and other reputable breeders (it was actually a beloved forum member that convinced me that it was the way to go and I trust her implicitly). No hard feelings anywhere, do what works for you and use whatever shipping method you trust.

Myth Busters.... I love that show!
        Mike
        www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Haroldo View Post
          Nope, insurance purchased, as long as you declare it; does cover material goods. I've had to file several claims today despite adequate packing unfortunately...
          Yeah, my claim was just approved through UPS. They don't guarantee live arrival, but they do guarantee a time. Since they didn't meet their obligation to me for a contracted, timed delivery, they are responsible for damaging the contents of my package (i.e., killing the gecko). Had they delivered on time and it was dead, that would've been my fault but since they were late, they're liable for the insured value of the package. You may have to prove value (i.e., provide supporting documentation of what you were paid for the live animal), but the insurance is supposed to cover whatever value you state, at least in the case of UPS.

It's the same thing as if you ordered frozen fish food and it was supposed to arrive at 10am and didn't arrive until 8pm and all of the dry ice was melted and the fish food spoiled (happened a number of times when I worked at a pet store). Damage done, carrier responsible.

Christopher

Comment

I also ship with dry paper towels and have never had an issue. (I've only ever lost one animal in transit, and that was due to gross neglect on the carrier's part.) In fact, now that I think about it, the vast majority of the animals I received also were shipped with dry paper towels... and those that were never had a problem. The problems occured in geckos shipped with moist paper towels... though whether it was the paper towel or just a fluke, I cannot say.

The risk of dehydration is low if you ship your animals well hydrated and keep a close eye on scheduling and temps. For example, do not ship on a Thursday, since if your package is delayed... your gecko could risk facing a LONG weekend with an unknown shipping outcome. Also, ship only when weather is in the "acceptable" shipping range. I've had animals get delayed in transit, and none have ever died of dehydration.

As Dragontown pointed out, dry paper towels do also have the added benefit of that "extra padding" during a box shift. Lord knows, I can't count the number of times I've seen crazy drivers flipping, spinning, and shaking the boxes around. Any additional protection in the face of box trauma is certainly beneficial.

Another concern of mine was the "poo factor". I would not feed my geckos for a day before shipping, but that doesn't mean that poo was completely eliminated. With poo in the deli cup, a moist paper towel was the perfect breeding ground for bacteria; whereas a dry paper towel would absorb the extra moisture and keep the cup "fresher" longer.
            ~Sarah~
            www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

I agree with DragonTown and CrestedLady regarding the let's-shake-em-up factor. Lately I've been experimenting with using coffee filters as a cup liner. These tend not to become totally saturated if a portion is moistened and retain enough of that pleated shape to make me think that maybe the geckos are a little bit safer. Of course they can still bounce off the lid....
              ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
              President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Comment

Lately I've been experimenting with using coffee filters as a cup liner.
                Very innovative. Interesting idea.

What size cups do you guys prefer to ship cresties (babies vs adults) in? Obviously something big enough that they can move a bit, but not so large that they get tumbled around in there with every bump and toss of the box.
                A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

Wow, what a thread! Here are my 2 cents, no change please, lol.

I also use moist paper towels, not dripping wet but moist to help with shed issues should any incur along the way. Those that have received a gecko with a shed "cooked" on the gecko, will certainly understand.

Like it has been said, NONE of the carriers want the liability of a live animal and Delta Dash is not always an option. How many of you look at the gecko's price and then ad the shipping cost and decide you can't or won't purchase?

The responsibility really falls to the shipper and receiver. The shipper to make sure that the animal is packaged properly just in case of a delay, and the receiver to ensure that they have wings on their feet to run and snatch the package upon arrival, lol.

Regarding writing live animal on the package, a lot of hubs (like Kinko's) won't accept a package that has a live animal, even though the sender is reptile certified. "Because we are not a division of FedEx/UPS/DHL...ect" I personally do not write Harmless Reptile or any other identifying marks on the package for that reason, and the reason of not trusting someone to steal the package to see what might be inside.

Bottom line, you find that carrier which you feel comfortable with and cross your fingers/hold your breath until the package arrives safely.
                  ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
                  1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
                  1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Comment

I agree with DragonTown and CrestedLady regarding the let's-shake-em-up factor. Lately I've been experimenting with using coffee filters as a cup liner. These tend not to become totally saturated if a portion is moistened and retain enough of that pleated shape to make me think that maybe the geckos are a little bit safer. Of course they can still bounce off the lid....
                    I know someone who put USED coffee filters in for shipping. The geckos ran mini-dashes when they arrived. It went on for hours and hours............
                    Mike
                    www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dragontown View Post
                      I know someone who put USED coffee filters in for shipping. The geckos ran mini-dashes when they arrived. It went on for hours and hours............
                      haha too funny. If only it were true...
                      A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

After receiving our last worm delivery via UPS I am frightened to ever have a live animal delivered. I spent an hour picking 500 worms out of the newspaper and corrugated cardboard box...the inner dli cups looked like someone had stomped all over them.
                        sigpic
                        0.0.2 Crested Geckos
                        1.0.0 Rankin Beardie
                        1.0.0 Corn Snake
                        0.1.0 Fat Tailed Gecko

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
                          After receiving our last worm delivery via UPS I am frightened to ever have a live animal delivered. I spent an hour picking 500 worms out of the newspaper and corrugated cardboard box...the inner dli cups looked like someone had stomped all over them.
                          I wouldn't go with UPS for animal transportation. If you're interested in a good pet transport service, Cargolution is my recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                          X