Anybody shipping with FedEx!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody shipping with FedEx!!!

So as most people do, I decide to go "legitimate" and get FedEx certified to ship live animals. I'm at the end of the process and get sent the liability waiver (legally binding document). Get to item "F" of the agreement and find something utterly ridiculous: "Company agrees to waive any right to recieve adjustments, refunds, or credits under the Money Back Guarantee Policy as defined in the FedEx Service Guide in effect at the time of shipment." Now, I can understand them (FedEx) not wanting to be liable for the loss or damage of an animal in transit--if I wanted someone to be liable, I'd ship Delta Dash. But seriously, a shipping company not wanting to be even held liable for shipping charges when its their fault is just unacceptable! The next item (G.): "Company acknowledges hat shipments may be delayed in transit. Company agrees that the event of such a delay, FedEx may in its sole discretion determine that the shipment should be returned to Company. In the event shipments are returned to Company, Company agrees to pay the original applicable transportation charges without regard to the reason for the return of the shipment. Company further recognizes that FedEx has no obligation to monitor the transportation of any shipment or to return it to Company." Sorry, but this seems like quite the license to bend all us [reptile] shippers over! Pay us, if we return your package to you, pay us. If your animals die because of our decision, still pay us. If our packages are late, pay us. There are 11 items in this agreements and I find fault with at least 5 of them. Not to mention that item J: "Company acknowledges that all shipments tendered to FedEx under this Agreement are for Business to Business delivery only. No residential deliveries are allowed under this Agreement." So what the hell is the point of using their service then? Seriously, I see why people still operate under the radar. This is corporate exploitation at its best!
    Last edited by Haroldo; 06-25-2007, 12:27 PM.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Even worse, for people that think that "Hey, I don't use FedEx, this doesn't matter to me" You'd be making a fundamental and categorical mistake. Corporations and big companies take ques from others. If such a policy is deemed "acceptable" by the target group (us), then all of them (UPS, DHL, etc.) will follow suit and absolve any responsibilites to us as customers. This is no different then governmental regulation being proposed, except its not bounded to state lines. We need to bind up as a community and explicitly propose such provisions. I for one, don't think this is something we should be passive about. They (FedEx) make millions of dollors off us annually, if we stand "deep" enough, we can put them in a position of change...
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

GAH! I just typed out this big long thing, and it got deleted.

Thats really lame, and Im sorry. Recently, we have been using FedEx almost exclusively, and have found them to be VERY reliable. HOWEVER, last month, our Kinko's [the drop off location we use] suddenly decided one day, that they weren't going to ship out live animals anymore. We called up and yelled at them, at least convincing them to ship out THAT package, then we showed up and yelled at the manager in person. Because for 2 years, we have been using that location, WITHOUT any problem. So if they dont want our business, fine. Instead, we pay 4$ every time we ship something out to have it picked up directly from our house. I called around, talked to our "account manager" who was shocked that we had been shipping for all this time without being "verified" but that had NEVER ONCE been brought up to us.

We were directed to the TOS and what they do and do not ship. And they only ship live harmless lizards BUSINESS to BUSINESS, which, because we have a resellers license and business license is fine, we are a business, but all of our customers are not. In the last month we also received alot of boxes through fed ex, and it seems like people just arent labeling them "live geckos" or whatever anymore.

Seems to me, if they arent going to give us any benefits for registering through them, and we are just jumping through hoops for their amusement, why bother. We still ship through them, and just dont say what it was. Its not like the courier REALLY needs to know anywhere, no where are you supposed to state what it is, and as long as it isnt a danger to the handler [like something venomous] Then its not really any of their business.

It made me so angry I almost stopped shipping with them all together, but DHL doesnt go everywhere, and UPS just sucks.

I agree that we shouldnt be passive about it. It just sucks that they are more reliable then other couriers, and I am not so attached to it as to risk the lives of my animals.

Comment

Originally posted by bleeding_sarcasm View Post
        It made me so angry I almost stopped shipping with them all together, but DHL doesnt go everywhere, and UPS just sucks.
        I'm currently dealing with a UPS disaster; guaranteed delivery by noon but the package wasn't delivered until 8:00PM local time. Long story short, the animal died and I'm in the process of pursuing a claim. So far they've agreed that they were in the wrong, so we'll see what happens. This was the first negative experience I've had with UPS.

The kicker in this case is that they guaranteed delivery by noon on my end, but apparently that doesn't guarantee what the end-delivery hub will do... a fact they neglect to mention when you're arranging for shipping. If you use UPS, have them get on a phone and confirm that the delivery time they tell you is the delivery time you'll actually get. The whole shipping thing can be a real nightmare.

Christopher

Comment

UPS is the ONLY company I have ever had animals show up dead [when shipping out] I ALSO found out that their "tracking" is more like an "estimate" of where/when it should be there. not individual packages. so if you package is supposed to go out with "group x" then they change the tracking info in that whole group to show it as being on time. So if one is left out/lost/left behind, it will still show up with the correct tracking.

lame.

Comment

Originally posted by bleeding_sarcasm View Post
            UPS is the ONLY company I have ever had animals show up dead [when shipping out] I ALSO found out that their "tracking" is more like an "estimate" of where/when it should be there. not individual packages. so if you package is supposed to go out with "group x" then they change the tracking info in that whole group to show it as being on time. So if one is left out/lost/left behind, it will still show up with the correct tracking.

lame.
            I found this too. When I put in the tracking number it would have locations with times in the future. At first I thought maybe it was on eastern time or whatnot, but I had set it to Pacific Standard Time, which my time is. I haven't had any problems with UPS in my limited amount of shipping, but this irritated me every time because I didn't really know where the package was.
            Olivia
            "...Because what's more efficent than doing nothing?"

"...Doing nothing in a Hybrid?"
            -stephen colbert's writers

Comment

i am fedex certified and have not had any issues. in fact my reps think it is very cool that i raise geckos. when i am about to send out a shipment i contact my rep-via email, and give a heads up. things seem to go smoothly for me and my geckos. YES there are a lot of liability issues that go into this. they do not want to be held responsible for every animal that might be sick already or if the hobbyist is irresponsible, they do not want to be held responsible. we as reptile shippers do not have many options. i chose this route and i pray it works out. but all we can do is package the gex the best we can, feed them well before they leave, provide moist papertowels in the container, and heat or cold packs depending on time of year and destination.

as i have said once before, if someone started a transit system for reptiles, they would make a lot of money. get trucks that are humid and the right temps for snakes and also other reptiles.
              ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
              1.0.0 appaloosa horse
              1.1.0 jack Russells
              1. husband

Comment

Colleen, you "provide moist papertowels in the container"

Actually I use dry paper towels. Using moist in the container serves to magnify the external temps inside the container... for example, it's like being a kid and playing in the snow, getting all wet and then letting the outside air temps have at you. Conversely, if it is hot outside, the moist towel will act as a humidifier and raise temps inside the container. When saying "outside" I am referring to the temps in the box, so even if you use cold packs or heat packs, you'll still run into the same issues with exacerbating the temps and conditions inside the deli cups. While these temps may not prove fatal in most cases, they just aren't the most comfortable conditions to ship.

I use dry paper towels and stuff the cup so that the animal has room to move around but not so much that transit will unmercifully bounce them around. Again, moistening the paper towel makes it heavier and unable to maintain any form, so the geckos are also sure to be bounced a bit roughly. You might want to consider changing over. Also, I don't feed them the night they ship, but I DO mist them about an hour before packing just so they hydrate. Not feeding keeps them from travelling in their own poo.
                Mike
                www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

i think every gecko i have purchased online has arrived with a moist papertowel, so i thought it was better for skin conditions or if the package were to get lost. if i am sending to a hot climate, i would provide a cooling pack and if sending to a cool place, a heat pack. i just think a moist papertowel is better for them not getting dehydrated.
                  ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
                  1.0.0 appaloosa horse
                  1.1.0 jack Russells
                  1. husband

Comment

I also provide a moist paper towel, and then i spray it and the gecko in the deli cup for hydration issues. If it gets warm, then I actually WANT to increase the humidity. and throwing it into the snow isn't an accurate, because you have to take into consideration that they are in insulated boxes, mine are molded and 1.5" thick. I would also like to point out that I dont ship in "fatal" temperatures, even when I use heat and cold packs. I am very edgy when shipping over 80, and never ship over 85. With heat packs, which can reach temperatures of over 100 degrees, I wrap them in news paper, then use an additional piece of sytrofoam as a barrier, in temperatures that are like 55-65.

My boxes look like this :

Comment

Originally posted by ColleenT View Post

as i have said once before, if someone started a transit system for reptiles, they would make a lot of money. get trucks that are humid and the right temps for snakes and also other reptiles.
                      I would imagine the cost of such a system would heavily deter the vast majority of people shipping small harmless reptiles. If you consider the cost of the vehicle & continued maintenance, a salaried employee (at least one that is, and likely at least one part timer for times the regular can't make it in for illness, emergencies, etc..), the cost of gas, etc etc etc...

Imagine even the largest shipper like Matt, repashy, and the like, really aren't shipping out enough geckos on a day to day basis year round to make a ventue like that worthwhile, not to mention all the people that ship out maybe one gecko or two a month, and those that receive maybe one or two a YEAR. The cost to drive said vehicle (to deliver one gecko) from point A in michigan to point B in california would be ridiculous. Even if other geckos needed a ride along the way, more than likely they would all be going to totally different points of arrival and the time needed to deter off the main route to pick them up, and respectively drop them off at their new destinations, would drive the cost of everything up.

There are just so many reasons something like that would not work....

Just shipping with worldwide carriers like fedex costs upwards of 40/50 bucks a pop. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to ship with a reptile specific carrier that was driving across the country to deliver one little gecko.
                      A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

not to mention trucks would take forever, and one truck could only keep the temperature and humidity requirements for one species, so you couldnt ship a leopard gecko and a uroplatus together, 1/2 of them would die, and it WOULD just cost way to much.

The fact is, that with any courier like UPS, FedEx, DHL, you are taking a risk, NONE of those couriers guarantee live arrival. The ONLY courier that does, is Delta Dash, and that costs what, $80? And is only airport to airport, so you still have to drive to pick it up/drop it off at the local airport. Which, for certin shipments, where animals are worth more then a grand, its worthwhile. For others, its not cost or time effective not to have it delivered to your door, and so they take the risk.

I am in the middle of having a package delayed through fed ex as we speak. Was supposed to show up here about an hour and a half ago.

What I can say, it still shows that its in TN [needs to be in CA] so the tracking info is right, and the phone staff are being helpful. I hope that because the temperatures are mild, the animal will show up alive.

Comment

Honestly Indycrestie, do you think of ways to put people down?

Yes it would be somewhat costworthy, and there aren't people lining up to ship reptiles, but many people ship animals. Do you really think that there would be only one truck, and they wouldn't use an airplane?

Perhaps instead of starting a whole new business, a plan could be proposed to collaborate with an existing shipping company, UPS perhaps, to bring in a few reptile safe trucks to each facility.

This way, there may be one or two trucks with temperature and humidity controls at each central hub, and verified shippers of reptiles would automatically use that truck.

I strongly believe this would be more cost efficient, safe, and likely to work.
                          2.2.0 crested geckos

1.0.0 phelsuma quad. CB!

Comment

Originally posted by jackxc925 View Post
                            Honestly Indycrestie, do you think of ways to put people down?
                            What're you kidding me?? Two people reply - both of us stating logical reasons why that would not be cost or time effective, and you single me out and accuse me of "putting someone down."

Good grief!

Comment

Originally posted by jackxc925 View Post

Yes it would be somewhat costworthy, and there aren't people lining up to ship reptiles, but many people ship animals. Do you really think that there would be only one truck, and they wouldn't use an airplane?
                              Why didn't I think of that. Of COURSE an airplane would be less expensive than a truck. (if you're wondering, yes, this reply was intended to be sarcastic, while my reply to colleen was not).

Comment

Working...
                              X