Gargoyle or Crested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gargoyle or Crested

This has been done a few times but the last one I found was 2 years old.

Which type of these 2 rhacís would work best for this: I am looking to raise a juvenile of either I spend a lot of time sitting at a desk and would want one a can place in a 20 gallon next to my desk. I am hoping to have a gecko tame enough to hangout (sit on my hands or desk) periodically. I know the care is generally the same. I am planning on doing a bioactive setup with live plants.

Also, what are the generally prices? I thought they were the same price but I keep seeing $400 gargs. Iím going to the Raleigh repticon so hopefully theyíll be less expensive there.

Iíve owned leopard geckos and a bearded dragon (sadly had to give her away) and loved both but Iím moving to a small town and getting a solid supply of live feeders is going to be difficult.

I don’t have any cresties so I can not advise on them. I have sold & donated a couple gargoyles that are used for educational programs teaching young children about reptiles. I would say it is more of a personality trait you have to look for; some geckos like human interaction more than others (even within the same species of gecko). If the gecko wants to interact then wonderful, but if they don’t want to interact & constantly want to get away from you then don’t force it as it is stressing them. Gargoyles pricing can range from $100 up to $1000+; it all depends on coloring, pattern, horn structure, sex, lineage & other genetic traits.
    Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
    www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
    www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

I agree with Hannibal. I have only cresteds, (4/6 in bioactive setups) but each one has a distinct personality. One loves to hang out, another likes to explore outside his cage, some like to sit and stare at me all day (which can be a little disconcerting!) and others are fully unconcerned with being interactive or clearly hate it and try to run away if approached. Most sleep all day but a few are more likely to be awake during the day. Unless you get an adult with known behaviour, it's hard to say what the personality of a given gecko will be.

Prices depend on age, sex (breeding-age females tend to be more expensive) and colour/pattern. Many geckos that have less vibrant patterns have great personalities and can be purchased for around $100. Juveniles are often less expensive, but you won't know their final personalities until they are mature (puberty does weird things to some geckos, just like it does to humans!) For your purposes, you would probably do well with a male so that you don't need to worry about lay boxes, extra calcium, etc.
      3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Thank you both for the responses!

Good points about the individual personalities mattering. My two leopard geckos were the same way. I think I will plan on going to the expo with an idea of getting either a crested or a gargoyle and see which gecko fits more.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies! I am going plan on going to the expo and seeing which one stands out

Comment

I vote chahoua! Lol

I own both species and they both have their qualities. I find my gargoyles to be a bit more shy, they aren’t horrible to handle, babies can be flighty. But I find them to sleep more hidden away than my cresteds.

The cresteds are a bit goofier. Clumsy, curious, will try to eat your shadow. Every animal has a different personality though. Some tolerate handling really well, others I don’t bother to handle at all unless it’s for a weigh in.

I would say it comes down more to what you’re looking to accomplish with the set up. Gargoyles do better when kept warmer, cresteds like it a hair cooler. Gargs do well in the upper 70’s/lower 80’s for a basking area where as cresteds thrive in the mid 70’s, but tolerate 68-78 well. So for gargs I normally recommend a small heat source for them.

Honestly if you’re looking for a really cool pet though, although price don’t dismiss a chahoua. Chahouas IMO make the best display pet out of all the NC species. Like the gargs they do best when kept warmer (78-85, but tolerate well down to around 72). I always find mine basking and sleeping out in the open. They often wake up in the day to rearrange their sleeping position. They are super smart too, they know when you enter a room, they learn an afternoon feeding routine fairly well. Mine pop out in the afternoon during feeding time and will wait towards the bottom of the enclosure for the insects. I find ML to be a hair more shy than PI, but unlike cresteds chahouas aren’t real jumpy. But chahouas can be costly, cheapest you may be lucky to find would be around 350, 400+ is more common for ML.

But I would recommend going to a show and handling a few. Realize they will be flighty as they have been in cups, but it will give you a chance to spend a little time interacting.
            lets just say I have a lot of stuff
            www.sublimereptiles.com
            Facebook
            BOI

Comment

Chahoua....yes!!! Chahouas would definitely make a better displaying & have the best personality out of the 3 NC species.
              Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
              www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
              www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

Working...
              X