Cats and Gecko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats and Gecko

Hi , I’m still a newbie when it comes to gecko , I have a gargoyle gecko and we’re about to have 3 months since I got him , I really dedicated time for him and made him pillow forts and although he’s a gecko and they don’t much I had him outside for a pretty long time , recently I got a cat ( a stray ; I wasent expecting it) and since he’s basically solo pet I spend more time with him than my gecko , I know the whole “ geckos can’t / can love you” is controversial but what do u thinks that my gecko thinks when he sees me (and he really does bc their both in my room) with my cat more ? Does he just not care or idk . And for those worried about my gecko , I still hand feed everyday but now we only spend like 10 mins max . Sorry if I sound so dramatic it’s 2am and I need sleep!

Geckos don't "love" or bond with their owners, and your gecko probably couldn't care less if you spend more time with your cat. In fact, most geckos just tolerate handling, they really don't thrive on it, so if you're good with just giving your gecko good care and having him for a display animal, that's just fine.

As an aside, I would say to wean off the hand-feeding of your gecko, though, as they can become very dependent on that, and then won't eat if you don't hand-feed them - which makes it very difficult if you are gone for a few days, to have anyone else feed him. Make sure that he can eat on his own, with no assistance. Are you giving him the Crested Gecko Diet (powdered food + water) plus insects once in a while?
    Last edited by TAD; 02-26-2018, 12:39 PM.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Even if he dosent care , I still feel bad about it lol , and yes I’m feeding him Pangea food and about 2 weeks ago I fed him his very first baby crickets . And for hand feeding , how would I stop ? Do I just put his little bowl and offer him some while he’s out or do I completely stop offering him food and just leave it in his enclosure ?

Comment

You can just leave the food bowl in his enclosure, and change it out every other night. You can just add a teeny bit of water to it on the second night so it doesn't dry out too much. I'd stop the hand-feeding altogether. It might take him a little while to start eating from the bowl, but it will be better in the long run for him to be able to find food on his own.

You can still handle your gecko now and then (with the cat out of the room), but don't worry about him missing it or being jealous. That doesn't happen.
        Eileen
        TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
        Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

I agree with stopping the hand feeding. It can get them into a bad habit of not eating on their own. Which is not a good thing and can make it impossible for you to travel since it won't eat with you gone. Just leave the food bowl in the cage all the time and make fresh food every second night. It might take a bit for you to find the perfect spot in the tank where your gecko feels safe and comfortable to eat from but it will eat.

Also your gecko doesn't care about attention and such. Honestly you could never handle it again for the rest of it's life and it would be plenty happy as long as you kept it fed. They don't need human interaction like a lone cat or dog does. They are solitary animals in the wild so living on their own is what they are made for. Don't humanize your gecko too much, there is no need to feel bad as long as you still care for its needs.

Comment

Working...
          X