Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for getting my leach to eat / gain weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for getting my leach to eat / gain weight?

BACKSTORY: My leachie is a yearling, Moro x GT, weighs 72 grams. I previously posted about her being underweight and ended up downgrading her tank from 18x18x24 to 12x12x18 and changing her bulbs to one's that produce more heat (my house is cold). That same day, she cleaned her bowl.

Ever since then, she went back to her old eating habits. It really kills me to see her b/c she is so skinny! Does anyone have any tips on how to make her gain weight?
    Attached is an image of her: https://i.gyazo.com/3f8b27f361e07978...bc5033b5d8.png
    NOTE: She doesn't look too skinny b/c of her current position.
    Last edited by jubalbus; 01-17-2018, 04:49 PM.

What are you feeding her? Is she getting any live food as well as the staple diet? What are the temps now with the new bulbs?

In the photo she looks good... Do you have an exotics vet that you could take a poop sample to check for parasites?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

I am feeding her Pangea Complete Diet.
      She is getting live food (superworms) once a week.
      The tempurature is apx. 80F during the day and apx. 70F at night.
      The image I put of her may not look that bad b/c of her position. I'll put an updated photo once I find her lying straight on a surface.
      I do have a local exotic vet. Would you recommend having her checked for parasites? Apx. how much does a parasite checkup cost?

Comment

If you are worried about her weight, yes, I'd recommend having a fecal done. They might be able to do that without seeing her, which might reduce the cost. I've never had to take mine in, and prices vary by region, so you might just call your vet first to ask about cost, and if you can just bring in a poop sample.
        Eileen
        TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
        Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Is that what you would suggest is making her not eat too much?

Comment

Use a CHE for heat and leave it on at night. Dav Kauffman did a series of videos where he went to New Caledonia and found leachies (and other geckos) in the wild. He monitored temp and humidity and found that temps stayed close to or at 80f all day / night.

My leachie is in a room that drops no lower than 75f (in winter) and is typically around 77-79f.

Leachies will go off food when in new environments, mine did so for about 1 month each time it has been upgraded to a new cage.

They can also be picky with food. Try offering a different flavor of pangea, adding a drop of honey into it, etc. and see what results you get.
            0.2 Crested Geckos, 1.2 Gargoyle Geckos, 1.0 Leachianus Gecko, 4.1 Boas (BCI, BCA, BCL), 0.5 Ball Pythons, 1.0 Jag Carpet Python, 0.1 BRB, 0.2 KSB

Comment

Originally posted by TAD View Post
              If you are worried about her weight, yes, I'd recommend having a fecal done. They might be able to do that without seeing her, which might reduce the cost. I've never had to take mine in, and prices vary by region, so you might just call your vet first to ask about cost, and if you can just bring in a poop sample.
              Is that what you would suggest is making her not eat too much?
              It's only one possibility, and I would consider that if she has not eaten for an extended period of time in familiar surroundings, or is losing an inordinate amount of weight.
              Eileen

Comment

Working...
              X