Cresties and gargs - differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cresties and gargs - differences?

I know the care for both is very similar. But what are the major differences between cresties and gargoyles, other than size?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

how you set their tanks up.

They squash plants, so you'd need very broad and THICK leaf-ed plants that are very sturdy if you want to put plants in there, or at least plants that can handle the abuse of a chunky gecko lump flopping on them nightly.

Thicker branches as well. I don't know about other gargs, but mine does not like vines, they're just not thick enough for her. I suppose if you twisted them together they would be okay but you'd cut the length of the vine in half. Outside of that, the same. :P
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Do they like to hide in plants as much as cresteds do? What kinds of plants work well for them?

What about temperaments?

I'm thinking I would like a gargoyle in addition to TAD, but it will be next May or June before I could get one. So, would like to start "collecting" items for a tank - and what size works best for them? 18x18x24? I would get an older one; because I'm not so concerned about color, it could be one that's not "perfect" that might not sell, but is healthy and just needs a home.
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

no, they're more of a 'hallow bark hide' gecko. So either hollow logs or cork rounds would be needed.

I had a large bromeliad (now just 2 pups growing) in my garg's tank, along with 2 small dracaena plants (when they grow they develop thick 'stems' but mine are very small and on the ground so my garg doesn't bother them) and Wandering jew, although it's not a sturdy plant, it grows SO FAST that being abused by my female doesn't bother it, so if she yanks off a chunk of plant, it's just ganna be back in a month anyways).

sansevieria would be a good choice, the more broader leafed one, they're really strong and sturdy. Outside of that, if you wanted more plants, they'd have to be fast growing, like the wandering jew, otherwise you'd end up with a very sad looking plant. lol

they're not much diff than cresties in temperament, my garg I find acts much like a tame adult crestie, just a lump on your hand (or shoulder in her case).

yes an 18x18x24 would be perfect, it's what my garg is in right now and she enjoys it.

Honeybear was a pet store save. She had a thick ring of shed on the tip of her tail, and would have lost her tip and it probably would have turned necrotic had I not saved it. It's recovered and has motion, but the dark skin colored scar will always be there. She was in a nasty tank with repti-carpet, poop everywhere, and huge live crickets runnin all over. It was sad @_@ but she is beautifully colored, so much color on her (browns, creams, this salmon pink strip, and black of course) and she lays AMAZING dud eggs, that I'm very confident if I found a nice male, she would make amazing babies.
        Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
        Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
        1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

I think gargoyle geckos can actually be quite different. Different enough that they are my preferred species to work with. I always have a ton of cresteds because they are fun and have just so much variety. I also have a love/hate thing for it always being a surprise as to what can come out of their eggs. But gargoyle geckos are so smart, stoic, intelligent and large - they are my first love, and after working with dozens of species still one of my absolute favourites.

My gargoyle geckos, after becoming used to their surroundings, tend to sleep out in the open during the day. They are far more aggressive to conspecifics, eat more, tend to be more vocal, and overall less flighty and jumpy than cresteds. For example, if I have a responsible visitor who really would like to see a reptile - it is always a gargoyle gecko I take out.
          They do regenerate their tails, seem to learn pretty quickly, and are intense predators on vertebrates. I've learned not to keep my gargoyle gecko enclosures next to my cresteds and mourning geckos without a visual barrier between said enclosures...their intense stalking freaks the other guys out.

But regarding care - all the above is correct. Thicker branches, sturdy plants, and cork hollows all make for a great enclosure. They are prone to getting fat (not just large, but fat) but will use every inch of space provided. So a large enclosure with plenty to climb on is ideal to help with that.

Feeding is roughly the same, but I find that quite a few of them will ignore crickets and smaller insects, preferring dubia, hornworms, etc. In the breeding season I offer my females pinky mice once or twice and they are very happy to have them.

Comment

Do they primarily eat the CGD as well, and do they NEED the live food in addition? Or are those (worms, etc.) basically a treat?
            Eileen

Comment

My gargs do a way better job of my cresteds of cleaning their bowls of CGD. And I very rarely have a picky individual - all aside from one that I've ever had will eat every type (all Repashy and Pangea flavours and all possible mixes of them).

I suppose technically they don't need live food, but this isn't a practice I agree with. Even for cresteds, their diets are quiet insect heavy in the wild. It provides exercise, a natural diet, and a source of environmental stimulation. They also grow at a far better (normal) rate. Super slow growth is not normal or ideal. But this doesn't mean you needs tons of insects! I feed my growing juvies insects every other day, and CGD is always available. Once adult, I feed live food 1-2x a week.

Comment

Working...
              X