Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JumpinJewels
    replied
    Your very welcome. I can only share what my girl does. She does get a bit cranky prior to laying as well. I am sure they feel full, the eggs are so big! I use a mixture of chopped sphagnum moss and peat moss. It holds the moisture well and stays nice and fluffy. It doesn't stain the eggs which is good. Although, she literally kicks the soil out, I can hear it flinging out during the night. I don't mind unless she lays right after I clean her tank, which has happened a couple of times! Wish you luck

Leave a comment:

• JayGarg1372
    replied
    Thanks for all your help in both of my threads recently. There is such limited material out about gargs that I prefer to just ask the people who have experienced it. I have a mixture of eco earth and reptibark at about a 3:1 ratio and I stir it everyday. I will remove the lid when I get home and see if that makes a difference for her. She has seemed a little uncomfortable and uneasy the pass few days so hopefully I have some eggs coming. She has not had a burst of weight gain but it's been progressively growing at a rapid pace.

Leave a comment:

• JumpinJewels
    replied
    If your girl is digging at the paper towels I would think she may be trying or wanting to lay. I don'y put a lid on my lay boxes either. You might remove it, make sure the substance is moist, not soggy. Also, what is in your lay box? I always give the boxes a stir and misting when I see signs of digging. Most females will dig for several days prior to laying. My Garg lady makes a great mess of her tank a few nights in a row before she finally lays. There's still plenty of time for eggs to be laid. They retain sperm and can produce fertile eggs for the entire season. they don't lay as often or as many as crested geckos do either. Good luck

Leave a comment:

• JayGarg1372
    started a topic A couple of questions

A couple of questions

Hey guys, I wanted to seek some answers to a few questions I had in my mind.

First, I was wondering... Do all females lay dud eggs when they reach maturity? Is there something that triggers this to occur?

Second, I caught my female in the corner of her cage last night scraping at the paper towels. It looked as if she was trying to dig but I don't want to convince myself that she is going to lay eggs. Is this normal behavior? She has a laybox just incase but it only seems as she uses the lid of it as a toilet.

Third, I know most animals breed based on a change in the temperature/barometric pressure that comes with seasonal changes and other factors, does this also affect gargs? Is there a certain temperature that triggers them to say ok it's time to breed?

Maybe I'm being really tough on myself but I feel as if I failed because I haven't had any eggs or any signs of them at all. I just want to figure out what I did wrong or what to do to possibly still get a clutch or two.
Working...
X