Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rescued garg gets DIYed new home (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rescued garg gets DIYed new home (pic heavy)

Mort has been doing very well, tail is growing back well now, has gone through all his/her doses of Panacure and gained a couple of grams already. When I first brought Mort home, it weighed 8g and now is tipping the scales at 11.5g just a few weeks later! No sign of a bulge as this point, though I haven't checked for pores, so we'll see if Mortimer turns out to be a Morticia.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Progression_mort.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1092890
    The tail has been growing back so quickly; Mort can bend/lift it a bit, which looks kinda silly right now but someday it'll be majestically long and flowing again.

Name:	Container_finished.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1092891
    Here's the 30ish quart, or 7.5 gallon, container I picked up to replace the quarantine tank (not a permanent home, but it'll get lots of use even after Mort outgrows it, as I have a few other growing babies) and melted some ventilation holes into.

Name:	plants_howto.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1092892
    Got some suction cups from Jo-Ann's and used dollar store fake leaves (looked over for loose parts/problems and then sanitized.) I have noticed that the fabric leaf edges are already fraying a lot of the time, hence the lighter. As Mortimer has gained some weight and cheapy fake plants are usually flimsy, I twisted the wimpy wire stems together into sturdier 'branches' for climbing.

Name:	mort_exploringNEWhome.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1092893
    Mort seemed almost awed at the space and view out of the new container; as you can see, those dollar store leaves a really nice and big.

Name:	Finished_tank.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1092894
    Mort spends an equal amount of time on the ground as well as climbing, so I attempted to arrange the foliage to provide adequate ground cover as well as enough for climbing. I will probably add another hide or something to the ground level, but this is a decent amount of cover, I think. It's almost impossible to see Mortimer in these pictures (which is kind of the point,) as s/he is already blending in well with the foliage and coconut hide

Hope you guys find the pictures to be interesting and enjoyable, if not educational!
    Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
    Instagram
    iHerp Account
    Pintrest

Love it!!

Comment

Thanks! Mort probably loves it more than you and I combined haha! S/he loves to find a nice big leaf hammock to drape and sun on. You know, I wonder if more people would put enough foliage in their setups if the bit about these guys being tropical or rainforest geckos was emphasized more.
      Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
      Instagram
      iHerp Account
      Pintrest

Comment

I personally think the more foliage there is the better humidity you have. More things for mist and droplets to hang on. The set up looks great, maybe add some horizontal branches or bamboo to rest on and open feet on...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
        1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Originally posted by JumpinJewels View Post
          I personally think the more foliage there is the better humidity you have. More things for mist and droplets to hang on. The set up looks great, maybe add some horizontal branches or bamboo to rest on and open feet on...
          You are probably right on the nose there (if that's the correct phrasing.) Mort freaks and runs for cover when s/he gets misted, don't think the pet store misted their gargs and he drinks mostly from the dish, so s/he appreciates the big leaves to hide under.

Thanks for the feedback on branches; I think I'm gonna try some black foam insulation ones as all the un-dyed, plain bamboo has dissipated from my local stores. He's actually missing more of his/her toes than I originally thought, so I think I'm going to make it easy on Mort and use easy to climb things. I wonder if foam is too slippery though...
          Instagram
          iHerp Account
          Pintrest

Comment

I have a cut to size pool noodle in one tank, it might be a bit slippery when wet. Maybe try it at a lower level at first. Since there are sticky toes missing, I would do some ramp like angles to move around on, cork flats can be cut and mounted easily enough... Just a thought! The new tail is coming in fast!
            My poor Keko is always getting misted unintentionally! He blends in with two of his branches in his tank too well! I don't see him til he raises his head and glares at me

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

You make a great point with the 'slippery when wet' issue; maybe I'll need to put up a tiny yellow caution sign when I mist. Now, I just have to teach Mort to read

I got a few different things to try for branches, finally found some undyed bamboo today (though it's barely as thick as my pinkie finger... sigh.) I did cave and buy some thick official reptile vines online as they have a lot of texture to them and are waterproof, so I'll try doubling it up to make it easier for him. I really like the cork ramp idea, I'm going to have to look into that!

One of the reasons I rescued Mort and the recovery has gone so well is because it seemed like there was a good chance of bouncing back. Mortimer still had some meat left on him/her, and was being fed Repashy at least some of the time. I have learned the hard way that by the time an animal looks very ill, its sometimes too late and the stress of moving them and treatment may end up doing them in, too.

They really do blend well, don't they? He gets lost in all the foliage and I sometimes have to look pretty hard for him to make sure he hasn't escaped. That's hilarious that Keko can glare at you; a sassy garg must be quite entertaining.
              Instagram
              iHerp Account
              Pintrest

Comment

Nice job!! What do you use when you sanitize your dollar store finds?
                5.4.9 Crested Gecko
                1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
                1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugwinkle View Post
                  I first go through and check/fix any issues I see with the foliage (sharp or frayed edges, wires sticking out etc) and fix it, then I start by rinsing in boiling water, a 10 min soak in F10 (or a weak bleach solution but now I have the other stuff,) rinse in hottest water. Then I use Dawn soap, scrub really well and then a final rinse and dry.

EDIT: I should mention that the boiling/hot water is also to help determine whether the dye bleeds or not. If it does, it doesn't get used.
                  Instagram
                  iHerp Account
                  Pintrest

Comment

Originally posted by OctopusMafia View Post
                    You make a great point with the 'slippery when wet' issue; maybe I'll need to put up a tiny yellow caution sign when I mist. Now, I just have to teach Mort to read

I got a few different things to try for branches, finally found some undyed bamboo today (though it's barely as thick as my pinkie finger... sigh.) I did cave and buy some thick official reptile vines online as they have a lot of texture to them and are waterproof, so I'll try doubling it up to make it easier for him. I really like the cork ramp idea, I'm going to have to look into that!

One of the reasons I rescued Mort and the recovery has gone so well is because it seemed like there was a good chance of bouncing back. Mortimer still had some meat left on him/her, and was being fed Repashy at least some of the time. I have learned the hard way that by the time an animal looks very ill, its sometimes too late and the stress of moving them and treatment may end up doing them in, too.

They really do blend well, don't they? He gets lost in all the foliage and I sometimes have to look pretty hard for him to
                    make sure he hasn't escaped. That's hilarious that Keko can glare at you; a sassy garg must be quite entertaining.
                    He is such a sweetheart, but that glare is something else. By the expression I am sure he's thinking "Human! Hello!!! "In the face, really?"

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Originally posted by Pugwinkle View Post
                      Sanitizing is extremely important as mentioned. I also use dawn dish soap (unscented and no anti bacterial additives). Distilled white vinegar and very hot water. Rinse a ton to get any residue off. I only use bleach in any amount on things like glass and plastics. Never on wood, cork or other materials that the bleach can penetrate and leave hidden residue. Also drying in direct sunlight is a good sanitizing practice.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Sanitizing is extremely important as mentioned. I also use dawn dish soap (unscented and no anti bacterial additives). Distilled white vinegar and very hot water. Rinse a ton to get any residue off. I only use bleach in any amount on things like glass and plastics. Never on wood, cork or other materials that the bleach can penetrate and leave hidden residue. Also drying in direct sunlight is a good sanitizing practice.
                        Thanks for going into more detail about bleach, Jewels! I should maybe be more specific when I talk about bleach I should amend my cleaning process here to add that I do the super-duper sanitizing with F10 or bleach the 1st time on non-porous stuff and then gentler stuff for regular cleaning. If its something porous, I have used Chlorhexidine, though its not as strong/maybe not as effective. Vinegar is really great for cleaning as well and I think it's very underestimated as a cleaner. That and the sitting out in the sun is another great, cheap way of sanitizing!
                        Instagram
                        iHerp Account
                        Pintrest

Comment

I have F-10 as well and use it instead of bleach...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

I have to tell you, your avatar freaked me out the first time I saw it! Very clever, thought I was imagining things when it moved

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

I have to tell you, your avatar freaked me out the first time I saw it! Very clever, thought I was imagining things when it moved
                              Haha! Yeah, that's actually why I did it I saw another avatar on this forum a while ago, it had a Dr.Seuss character running across it and I thought I was crazy at first, seeing something moving out of the corner of my eye. I figured I'd have a little fun with people...
                              Instagram
                              iHerp Account
                              Pintrest

Comment

Working...
                              X