New leachie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New leachie!

Got a new little friend at a reptile show today! My first leachie, I currently own two crested geckos, but i'm super excited to see how she grows!! I'm thinking we're naming her Penelope.
    Attached Files
    1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
    1.1 Harlequin Crested Gecko
    0.1 Moonglow Crested Gecko
    2.1 Leachianus Gecko
    0.1 Pinstripe Crested Gecko

Congrats!
    You'll fall in love quick with these guys be careful :P

Comment

Haha, thank you! I've already fallen for her. She's already eating like a champ, too!!
      1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
      2.1 Leachianus Gecko

Comment

Wait until she gets older. My 170 gram and still growing male eats around 1.5 oz of CGD every other night. They are little porkers!

Comment

Congrats on the new addition!

Comment

Thanks, everyone. Haha, that's a lot of food, but she ate a crap ton last night and she's already starting to bark at me. Can't imagine the attitude this one's gonna have!
            1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
            2.1 Leachianus Gecko

Comment

Penelope looks awesome!! Congrats

Do leachies bite more than the Cresties and the Gargoyles? From reading around I notice that they tend to be a lot more vocal in voicing their displeasure and wondered if it carried through to biting

Comment

Thanks! I've heard they can be more territorial, so you gotta be pretty quick to get them out of their cages. The lady I was talking with yesterday at the show said that her large female screams bloody murder when she's taking her out, but once she's out she's fine. My female crestie has bitten me numerous times, but at least she's small and she just think's she's Godzilla.
                1.0 Flame Crested Gecko
                2.1 Leachianus Gecko

Comment

As mine has gotten older hes gotten more vocal. Only recently have I gotten bit by him. I'm learning to only take him out during the day when I handle him because hes way too territorial to handle at night. He'll gap and figit around if you try and put your hand in his cage at night.

Comment

With them being so much larger than the Crested I just wondered whether their bite also grows in proportion....... I really like the leachies, I like where they look soft and pudgy, kinda like the Pilsbury dough man disguised as a lump of wood
                    One of my Cresties has a dicky fit when you go into the cage, you kinda have to nudge him 2 or 3 times before he even wakes up and then he's off!! Like a bat out of hell! Very slow off the mark but a good finisher. This doesnt bother me in the slightest but I am sure it would if I was going to get bitten (hard) for my troubles.

But I do love the size that the leachies grow to..........

Comment

Originally posted by llurgy View Post
                      With them being so much larger than the Crested I just wondered whether their bite also grows in proportion....... I really like the leachies, I like where they look soft and pudgy, kinda like the Pilsbury dough man disguised as a lump of wood
                      Yes, their bite also grows in proportion . a leachie bite is not fun at all. They have really sharp teeth and since your first reaction is to pull away, it'll just make it worse.

Edit- i feel like i made them sound too evil. They are very very nice lizards

Comment

Originally posted by demise View Post
                        Yes, their bite also grows in proportion . a leachie bite is not fun at all. They have really sharp teeth and since your first reaction is to pull away, it'll just make it worse.

Edit- i feel like i made them sound too evil. They are very very nice lizards
                        I get where you are going, and thanks for the honest answer
                        So......If I were to equate the bite.....?
                        Crestie = Plastic knife
                        Leachie = Steak knife

LOL

Comment

I would say crestie = spoon
                          Leachie = fork >

Comment

Honestly despite how 'scary' they can be because they are so much larger, at least my 5 adult leachies seem to do more posturing and vocalization when they are angry instead of flat out biting. Usually when we're worried one will bite, they very often (if we don't get our hand away in time) bump our hand with their snout instead of actually bite.

There was only one time my husband or I have been bit so far. My husband was bit once and that was after I warned him 'she's going to bite' because one of my females was protecting her eggs. It wasn't really a bad bite, bled just a tiny bit.

One of my males recently had surgery though, and now he is a huge grumpy face ever since then. He lashes around and barks loud and whistles and 'grunts/growls' and WILL try to bite with his mouth open. Still hasn't got us yes though, we just pick him up with some leather gardening gloves just in case.

Even angry leachies are fairly easy to control once you get experience dealing with them
                            www.Gracious Geckos.com
                            Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
                            Facebook!

Comment

Congrats baby Leachianus are awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X