Worried new Garg isn't eating-1 month after received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried new Garg isn't eating-1 month after received

I got an adult female gargoyle shipped to me about 1 month ago. I haven't seen any evidence that she has been eating. Searched her whole tank for poop and could not find any. There have been no lick marks in her food either. Yesterday I did offer her some honey and she took it, but other than that I have not seen her eat anything. She's weighs 42.6 g at the moment, and weighed the same a week ago, however. I was feeding her the version before repashy 3.0 before but am trying the peach 3.0 now.
    Her temperatures are around 72 with an 85 hotspot. I spray her in the mornings and evenings. She is in a 12x12x18 tank for quarantine. I only handle her to weigh her. Trying not to worry too much but it has been a month.

Here are some pictures of her I took 10 mins ago. Does she look alright?

Her setup:
    http://i.imgur.com/44RPfP7.jpg

Help much appreciated.
    0.2.2 Crested geckos- Nox, Vesper, Ghidorah, Pitaya
    2.0 Gargoyle geckos- Ridley and Serris
    1.0 Rosy boa- Mojave
    1.0 Leachianus- Helios
    0.0.1 Japanese Toad- Fushigibana
    A ton of bugs

Something I have heard suggested for finicky gargs is to try hand-feeding them Repashy for the first one or two times when you suspect they aren't eating. Sometimes this will encourage them to begin eating on their own.

That being said, a month without eating when they first arrive isn't unusual for gargs. Mine went three weeks without, and another local keeper's garg went for a month, and both of ours came from the same reputable breeder. However, the hand-feeding trick did work for mine - I simply held the cup of Repashy up to her face, waited, and then she started eating it.

You could also try adding more foliage or hides to the enclosure. If your garg doesn't feel secure enough, this can put them off eating as well.
    ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Don't own a garg * yet* but I gotta say that is a beautiful animal! As suggested above I would try handfeeding. I had a crested who was raised only on crickets befor I got her and she wojld touch the repashy until I hand fed her some. Good luck !!

Comment

I have had several gargs that were shipped take weeks/month before feeding. What has helped me is switching them into smaller tubs. The smaller space seems to make them settle in faster and feel more secure. Hand feeding also helped with all of them.

Comment

I'd perhaps lower the hot spot. They shouldn't be in temperatures that are too high, it's not healthy. As everyone else said, small spaces w plants and places to feel safe as well as hand feeding can help your problem. :]

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!
            For some reason I have been afraid to hand feed her because I thought it would stress her, but it sounds like a good plan. I will be trying the hand feeding tonight if she comes out. I will also be adding a little more foliage today and have added more branches.

Originally posted by Larissa Lurid View Post
            I'd perhaps lower the hot spot. They shouldn't be in temperatures that are too high, it's not healthy. As everyone else said, small spaces w plants and places to feel safe as well as hand feeding can help your problem. :]
            I thought gargs liked a basking spot of around 80-85? It is only that temperature in that spot the rest of her cage is 72. She seems to have been utilizing this basking area a good amount. Should I bump down the temps?
            1.0 Rosy boa- Mojave
            1.0 Leachianus- Helios
            A ton of bugs

Comment

The temps should never really be above 80-82. Prolonged exposure to higher 80s temps can kill them. Most people don't use any heat for them. 70-80 is a good range

Comment

If the OP is referencing Pangea's caresheet on gargs, then 85 is fine as long as it's not any higher, and they do have a cooler area to retreat to.
                ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

She doesn't look skinny or underweight by any means, may just need a few more weeks to adjust, take in mind that its "winter" so i find my reptiles tend to eat very little if any, seems like i waste more cgd then use it. In the warmer parts of the year i never can have enough cgd made. Just keep weighing her, and like above post said, i always hand feed the picky ones till they know where to find it. always works! Good Luck!
                  4.3.7 Crested Gecko
                  0.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Facebook
                  Rhacs Unlimited

Comment

Just tried hand-feeding...She will (unwillingly) takes one lick then immediately turn away :/
                    This happened when I tried it before.
                    1.0 Rosy boa- Mojave
                    1.0 Leachianus- Helios
                    A ton of bugs

Comment

best bet is to just let her be, when she is ready to eat, she will. Just check her weight if you notice a huge loss. then id start hard feeding it into her. Have you offered her bugs, might stimulate her.
                      4.3.7 Crested Gecko
                      0.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko

Facebook
                      Rhacs Unlimited

Comment

I have offered her a roach a few weeks ago but she was uninterested. I suppose I could leave one in her cage (in a dish). And yeah I'll leave her and keep an eye out for poo.

What's hard feeding?
                        1.0 Rosy boa- Mojave
                        1.0 Leachianus- Helios
                        A ton of bugs

Comment

Originally posted by cassicat4 View Post
                          If the OP is referencing Pangea's caresheet on gargs, then 85 is fine as long as it's not any higher, and they do have a cooler area to retreat to.
                          Agreed, just have to be careful in the summer when it naturally gets warmer and the hot spot could rise. Higher 80s is bad, low to mid at most can be ok. (and as you said, as long as there's also a cool spot)

Comment

Working...
                          X