Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take a Gargoyle to grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take a Gargoyle to grow?

I've had this little guy since April 14th of this year, and he is still a tiny little guy. He eats CGD and I do see some poop, but it's so hard to find! Haha. I can't tell if he is growing or not and it's starting to worry me.
    The first picture was taken today, and the second picture was taken about a month ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby G.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1077525Click image for larger version

Name:	Baby G 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1077526

The million dollar question with gargs. They grow in spurts so it's not always a simple answer, but it is a good reason not to worry. 2 things seem to be important factors: temperature and bugs. Gargs like it a little warmer than cresteds, maybe mid-80's. Some gargs just show no interest in bugs. How much does it weigh?
    Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
    ROC Geckos
    Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

I don't have a scale, but I am going to pick one up as soon as I can. I would love to know his weight and monitor it so that's the first on my list of things to do.
      His temperature goes from the mid 70's to low 80's. I have a small 50 watt bulb to raise the temp when needed.
      What would be a good sized bug for a baby? I would do small crickets but I heard that they like larger insects.

Comment

Your gecko may or may not take insects. I have many gargoyles that have absolutely no interest in eating anything but CGD. The span of time between hatching and 12-15g can take a fantastically long time for some gargs; a year in some cases. As long as your animal is actively eating and pooping you can be assured that it is healthy and growing; albeit slowly perhaps.

Comment

Yeah, I'm assuming he is just a slow grower. I put in a cricket and he showed some interest in it and when I looked back in there, he was near the cricket hanging upside down, haha. I also found some more poop so I am a bit relieved now

Comment

Every garg grows at their own pace & sometimes the more you wish they'd grow it seems they purposefully defy you. My Vesper & her daughter Vala are great examples of this. Vesper was at adult breeding weight by the time she was 1yr (but didn't breed her until she was 20mos). Vala will be 1yr next month & finally hit a growth spurt putting her at 9.0g now.

As long as your garg eats/poops then don't worry, they'll eventually grow up.
            Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
            www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
            www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

Give them time They'll grow when they want to lol Best of luck! ~

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowKorin View Post
                Your gecko may or may not take insects. I have many gargoyles that have absolutely no interest in eating anything but CGD.
                My female garg that I have had for almost a year now has never once showed any interest in bugs. I've tried crickets and dubias of all different sizes and she wont even look at them. Fortunately she absolutely smashes cgd. I just recent purchased a male for her from philippe and he goes crazy for dubias. I find it so interesting how each gecko can be so different.
                2.4.1.4 Ciliatus
                1.1.0 Auriculatus
                0.1.0 Leachianus Pink Brosse FF line
                0.1.0 Leachianus GT type B x Isle of Pines
                0.0.1 Chahoua Isle of Pines

Comment

how mch do they eat daily???????

Comment

if they won't eat insects, decapitate a cricket or roach, and offer on tongs. rub the goo on the mouth of the gecko. this will usually get them to chomp on it, then they usually will eat insects after that. Insects can really help with growth.

Comment

My garg has never wanted anything to do with bugs either, but she LOVES Pangea, in any flavor, but I started giving her more of the insect-included ones to help with the growth. I give her about a tablespoon in a feeder ledge every other day, and she'll eat half to almost all of it over the two days. She was a slow grower, and didn't really have a growth spurt until she was about 8 months old. Then she started eating really well, and is a healthy weight now.
                      Eileen
                      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
                      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
                      X