Leachie Aggression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leachie Aggression

What is the best/easiest way to tame a new baby Leachie? I've read they can be cage aggressive, or just aggressive in general, and I want my 1st one to be friendly. So besides frequent handling, is there anything else one could do to maintain the tameness of a leachie?
    Mike
    1.1.2 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    Desert Storm.Domino.Phoenix & Chopper
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Nuu Ana Leachianus
    Achilles

Handle it for short periods every day. It might still become territorial of its enclosure once it hits maturity though, some leachies just get that way.
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

Comment

Oh, another thing. Don't start handling it regularly until it has settled in and is gaining weight (a sign it is eating and thriving/not super stressed). Made the mistake with our first leachie that we put it in too large of an enclosure to start with. Didn't eat for a week, as soon as we downsized him into a sterilite tub he began to pig out and grow like a weed.
      www.Gracious Geckos.com
      Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
      Facebook!

Comment

Thanks Misty. Yea I have him/her in a Large KK right now. First night I brought him/her home he/she polished off the full bottle cap of CGD. So we'll see how it goes. I'm gonna give it a week to settle in and then start handling it a few days a week. So if it does get cage aggressive, whats the best way to feed and take it out for handling etc.? Thanks.
        Mike
        1.1.2 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
        Desert Storm.Domino.Phoenix & Chopper
        0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Nuu Ana Leachianus
        Achilles

Comment

Leather gloves (their bites are *nasty*) for handling/put something in front of the gecko when putting food in/out of the cage. Had to do it with my leachie (now sold) when he hit puberty. And I had handled him a lot before then, so I don't know how much that matters with certain geckos. I didn't let him get away with his cage aggression though and he's a big sweet, calm slug of a gecko now! Good luck with your new kid!
          .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Comment

Working...
          X