Biggest Difference from a Crested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Difference from a Crested

Hey guys I was wondering what the main differences in care there is between a gargoyle and a Crested? thanks!
    1.0 Crested Gecko (Twister)
    2.0 Dogs

Nothing really other than being a bit more nippy towards each other. And they are more secretive and hide more than cresties. Otherwise they are awesome.

Comment

Ok cool thanks, after getting a couple cresties Im planning on picking some of those up!
      2.0 Dogs

Comment

Not really that much of a difference besides crested geckos have crests and gargoyle geckos don't because they both come New Celdonia

Comment

I dont have any Gargoyle geckos myself but I have heard they are more likely to utilize a basking spot than crested geckos. Anyone care to shed light on this?
          Aum

Comment

Mine have never basked, but do spend more time out in the open during the day. The biggest difference is they are not "social" the way cresteds are. You have to pay much more attention to them to see is tank mates are getting along. Females are notorious tail eaters especially when breeding.

I've noticed mine prefer slightly warmer temps than my cresteds as well. Also, some gargs just refuse bugs.
            Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
            ROC Geckos
            Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Comment

How do you provide them with the sightly warmer temps? For my crested geckos I am going to just keep them at room temperature without a uth or heating lights since my house during the day stays 75-78*f
              2.0 Dogs

Comment

75-78 is fine for gargs, don't worry about it. If you try to breed them and don't get any eggs, then try an UTH or light to up temps.
                Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
                ROC Geckos

Comment

Ok great thanks!
                  2.0 Dogs

Comment

can gargoyles stick to glass like cresteds?

4.3.3.6-Crested Geckos
                    1.1-Bearded Dragons
                    1.1-Pitt Bulls
                    2.0-Fancy Rats
                    1.0-Mali Uromastyx

Comment

Originally posted by newlyson View Post
                      Yes. Some people claim they can't stick as well, but I've found mine sleeping vertically on the glass when they have silk plants and cork rounds are other options.
                      ROC Geckos

Comment

The main difference I can tell is that they are a wee bit more nippy(Towards other gargs and people). That being said, every animal is different.
                        0.0.1 R. ciliatus
                        1.0 R. auriculatus
                        0.0.1 R. leachianus

Comment

Mine loves to sit as close to the light as possible, his tank sits closer to 78 degrees where the cresteds are closer to 70. I find he is more active and eats better at that temp.

Comment

Gargs do have some pretty sharp claws on them compared to cresties. Cresties claws don't really come in contact with surfaces as much as their toepads, making them 'softer' to handle.

Other than that I honestly don't see too much of a difference. Cresties are a little more active, gargs find a favorite spot and stay there for a long time.
                            www.Gracious Geckos.com
                            Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
                            Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Terradas View Post
                              Also, some gargs just refuse bugs.
                              Same thing with cresties - some of them ignore bugs, and some are even deathly afraid of them.

Gargs like their bugs BIG. A lot of them will ignore relatively small crickets for example.

Originally posted by newlyson View Post
                              They can, but not as well. They have smaller toe pads, and tend to have much more robust bodies as they mature, which makes it harder to cling (more weight, less surface area).
                              3.7.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus [Crested Gecko]
                              0.1.0 Rhacodactylus auriculatus [Gargoyle Gecko]
                              1.1.0 Eublepharis macularius [Leopard Gecko]
                              1.0.0 Hemitheconyx caudicinctus [African Fat Tailed Gecko]

Comment

Working...
                              X