Pore sexing leachies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pore sexing leachies

So I know the basics of how to pore sex a leachie... my question is when? I looked at roughly 30 gram tonight and saw nothing. I would love to think she is a she, but she is an unknown mix (I know it's an Island/GT mix and out of a pinkie line). Steve at Leapin Leachies expects it to be a big one (and I hope he's right, at 30g she's already a screamer), which is great, but I expect it to take longer for pores to come in.

Any ideas when pore sexing is a safe bet for leachies? I saw 80g somewhere, but that is relatively large (especially for some of the smaller locales). I'd believe it for some of the true giants though.
    My reviews!
    Arachnoboards
    Fauna BOI

My iHerp
    Facebook: Tiger Reptiles

I have been able to see pores with a 30x loupe usually by the time my Leachies reach about 3 months of age. Some I have seen pores on a couple weeks after hatching. I think the general size for pore sexing is 3 inches snout to vent on leachies. You may just have a Female like you wanted.
    http://www.afterduskreptiles.com

Comment

I saw defined pores on my male at less than 10 grams, only a couple months old...i have a hatchling now i see no pores on soo we will both keep our fingers crossed ehh
      ~ Cheers,Mandy

www.crestedjunkie.com

Comment

I've done it on large hatchlings 5-6g. Get a good loupe and should be no problem. Up to 3 rows of pores and it can be a girl 3 or more and its male. When they get older the pores will become pitted and glossy so if you have a questionable one wait a bit. You should be good at 30 grams.
        Sarah & Jake
        LunarGecko.net
        Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
        You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Comment

I actually just had a long conversation about this with a local breeder last night that has been keeping leachies for around 11 years. He said he is still surprised by their pores, until about a year old. Since even the females have them it can be difficult to know the sex, at least for most people. The advice above about how many rows of pores the little one has is something I will have to look into, very cool. I think I will try this technique and wait a year before actually knowing the sex to be sure. Giant Geckos has some great information on their website about sexing them as well, give it a read if you haven't already.
          Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

Comment

I've read the advice on Giant Geckos and Leapin Leachies, very good but they didn't really give a time/weight frame.

On this "girl" though I just didn't see anything. Another try is warranted though.

Oh and I mis-judged her weight. A happy growth spurt has her closer to 40 than to 30
            My reviews!
            Arachnoboards
            Fauna BOI

My iHerp

Comment

AGH stupid v-bulletin making a double post.
              My reviews!
              Arachnoboards
              Fauna BOI

My iHerp

Comment

Working...
              X