urgent gargoyle help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent gargoyle help.

So two weeks ago i bought a gargoyle gecko hatchling, from a breeder here in Calgary who i had previously bought a crested gecko as well and had thought she was great. I was a bit wary because he was only 3 grams but took him home. I gave him the week with no handling just feeding cgd and mistingg, no poop no missing food but being small i thought maybe he needed more time so i continued the same excepting a sauna for stuck shed. Tonight he is very lethargic, even if i touch his back legs he barely moves. Im thinking he may be dehydrated? Though his humidity in his kritter keeper cycles. From 40-80, 40 being the lowest right before spray, when i touch his skin it bunches up and is very slow to move back to normal position. my boyfriend is currently searching the city for pedialyte Wich doesn't seem to be in Calgary at almost 1 am. Does anyone know of alternatives found at walmart?

The only other thing i can think of is mbd because he has a wavy tail, but i have read that in gargoyle hatclings that is common n normally corrects itself.

Sorry for the wall of text but this is my first rhac problem my other 4 crested have luckily been Problem free.

Also sorry for the spelling and grammar Im on my phone.

Comment

As a former Walmart employee, I remember that they sell Parents Choice which is a knock-off of Pedialyte. It's with the baby stuff, most likely.

Even a sauna without pedialyte in the meantime will do. Give him a quick 15-30 minute sauna and see if anything changes.
      2.0.3.0 Crested Geckos
      0.0.2.0 Gargoyle Geckos
      0.1.0.0 Leopard Gecko

RIP Houdini, Ruby, and Tabby

Comment

While waiting i did a plain water sauna for a bit he became slightly more responsive, managed to. Find the strength to gape n croak at me Wich at this point i am ecstatic to hear. Boyfriend managed to find the pedialyte so Im doing a soak in that i also have ny space heater on to bump the temps in a separate room for the gargoyle a bit as my house is normally around 68 and though that is safe a little warmer might help i thought.

Comment

The cooler temps will slow babies way down more so than juvies/adults. I try to keep my babies around 70-74 in winter so they are a little more active & eat a little better (still hardly see any missing food or poops, but the weight gain on the scales puts a smile on the face. Hope your little one just wants a tad warmer spot.
          Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
          www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
          www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

I hope so. Im a mess worrying over him, this is why ill definitely won't ever be a breeder, every dud or hatchling that didn't make it would make me bawl

Comment

Little one is at the vet now, he's staying there n they are trying to get food and vitamins in him. Apparently the breeder i got him from gave me bad info she said the exact same temps as crested geckos was fine, i trusted this even though i had read otherwise because she seemed so established. I guess this is a lesson that i wish i never had to learn. Thanks for your help all i can do now is hope.

Comment

Originally posted by kadreena View Post
                Apparently the breeder i got him from gave me bad info she said the exact same temps as crested geckos was fine
                No, they are fine, but as Hannibal said cooler temps will slow them down. Slower feeding, slower movement, etc.

Lower temps of 68 F are not extreme, they are decent winter temps, and should not be causing skin bunching etc. but slightly warmer temps can encourage young geckos to eat more.
                JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

I managed to get the dehydration better i believe as he urinated on the vet and his skin is no longer bunching, she said now is about nutrition Wich she believes got to be a problem because he was having a hard time digesting food due to low temps.

Comment

Sorry to hear that the little one didn't make it; you guys did everything you could and sought immediate treatment from a vet. Since this was a young baby, there is a possibility that it was born with a defect which could not have been foreseen by you or the breeder. You may want to contact the breeder if you have their information and let them know what happened. Some breeders will replace or refund since this was a recent purchase; it could also help the breeder as they can keep an eye out on the clutchmatch or other siblings from the pairing in case they start having issues also.
                    RIP sweet little one.
                    Andi - Gray Sky Exotics
                    www.iHerp.com/Hannibal
                    www.facebook.com/andi.vanzant

Comment

I did contact the breeder for just those reasons. I wouldn't want any others getting sick without warning. As for Money, its not important to me n if she didn't offer i could never ask. Since getting to news that he passed I've been reading stories on here about others hatchling troubles and itsunami a great resource to help me accept that sometimes despite the best efforts of all involved, these things happen. this was my first gecko to pass away so Im taking it a bit hard. Thank you all for your help and concern.

Comment

Working...
                      X