Go by age or weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go by age or weight?

My 1.3 goyles are only 13months old. they are all near 40 grams(1.2 36 .1 32) should I wait till they are 40 and breed them or just breed them when they reach the age? I have read ovulation may be triggered by intorducting a male, so should I put them together or jsut wait a few more months. They are all super healthy and fat!

Thanks

I'd say go by weight. Even if they're all old enough it's better to have them at a safe weight than to deplete them by breeding them early and take a step backward. If your male really gets busy and impregnates all three of your girls then you'll have plenty of eggs in no time once they've hit 40 grams :wink: .
    -Marina York-

4.3.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (B)
    1.0.0 ball python
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.2.0 leopard geckos

Comment

so only a few more grams to go!

Comment

I disagree, gargoyles mature a bit slower than cresteds....I would wait until they are around 16 months to breed. I know you're anxious, but an older and bulkier animal will have a more productive season. BTW, I don't know if you talked to Loren about this, but he suggests about the same and does so with his own gargoyles. Just my 2 cents.
        -Harold
        CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

I did, but other people say just breed them at 40 grams. I was planning on waiting until at least 15 months. Someone else said they breed them at 8 months, but that is rediculous!

Comment

I would say to go by both age and weight. If they meet the typical weight requirement by an earlier age, then wait until they get old enough.
            It's just not worth it to riskyour investment and more importantly the lives of your animals and their potential offspring by rushing things along. True they may be ABLE to breed in just a few more grams, but is a few months time worth it just to have eggs sooner and possibly cause detrimental results to your females in the long run? Why rush things and possibly end up with females that are "laid-out" in just a few years. Yes the agrument that in the wild they would probably be breeding as soon as they are sexually mature is true. But most animals do live longer when in captivity than they do in the wild. And this happens because we control their environment, food sources and practice selective breeding.
            Laying eggs takes a huge toll calcium wise on any organism that is oviparous. Any growing vertebrate also requires more calcium than a fully mature adult. When you add those 2 needs for calcium together, youre just asking for trouble in my opinion, especially in reptiles where the balancing act of making sure they get just the right amount of calcium to make them thrive is so troublesome.
            Having to wait can be difficult, and everyone gets so excited about getting to breed their animals and see the eggs being laid and see the babies when they hatch. But the true mark of a responsible breeder (no matter what type of animals you are raising) is to wait until full maturity before letting them reproduce. These animals are captive bred. Their health and well being is now your responsibility for the rest of their lives. Do what is best for them, not what fits best in your own timetable.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for listening.
            Nell Rux
            a.k.a. Frozen Gecko
            Just Ice Reptile

Comment

thanks, I think I will be waiting at least a few more months for them, probably until they are near 18 months or so. They are just too cute and so cool! I love Gargoyles!~

Comment

Working...
              X