Garg Breeding Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garg Breeding Question

I'm getting ready to start my gargoyle breeding project. I've worked with cresties for a few years and have been waiting unpatiently for my gargs to be of breeding weight.

My question has more to do with difference in breeding weights. What is considered by breeders to be an acceptable difference in weight for gargs? My female is about 40g and my male still has some growing, but he's currently at 22g. I know my female is a good healthy weight, but my concern comes from females being more aggressive during mating and my male is already smaller to begin with. I'd hate to have something bad happen to my male when they're so hard to come by (cheaply, that is).

That being said, do I want my male to weigh more than the female or is there reasonably safe difference (eg. 40g v 30g) that I might be able to squeak by with? I'm not worried about the male's original tale, he's already on #2 from being raised by the breeder in a group.

I can post a side-by-side pic in that will help...
    Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
    ROC Geckos
    Geckos of Madagascar and New Caledonia

Male is far too small to be breeding in my opinion. Besides the likely aggression between cagemates, males typically care less about food than breeding (so he might drop a few grams anyway during the breeding season). I'd hold off until the male is at least 35 grams for giving him a go. I've been breeding 'goyles going on my 5th season and it's just conventional wisdom. I've got several harems and size difference between cage-mates in some instances is noticeable. It's more about all animals in question to be of acceptable/healthy breeding size and weight for me...
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Comment

Thanks! I wouldn't have bred him before 30g minimum, but it's nice to have a goal in mind. 35g it is!
      Coleonyx-Correlophus-Eurydactylodes-Mniarogekko-Paroedura-Phelsuma-Rhacodactylus
      ROC Geckos

Comment

I'd wait until at least 40g. My male this last season dropped a huge amount of weight. The males tend to be the ones who get bet up in gargoyle relationships. For instance, the male I'm speaking of his had his tail ripped off by his mate the day before they were scheduled to be split for the cooling season.

Comment

That's what has me nervous! My girl has seemed good-natured, but she's always lived alone.

I'm very curious to hear more from the other garg breeders out there. These guys passed up cresties as my favorite months ago, but the big personalities are a double-edged sword!!
          ROC Geckos

Comment

Working...
          X