If garg is underweight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If garg is underweight

So I wanted to see if anyone can help me figure out if my gargoyle gecko is underweight or if he is ok. Besides using a scale don't have one yet have had him do couple weeks now but he's just a baby so don't know if he is below average. I haven't tried feeding any insects just pangea. Also he is in a 10 gallon terrarium he's my wife's and she didn't want to use a shoebox plastic bin so he's in theterrarium. Humidity is good heat is good usually have him at 50 to 70 percent during the day and spray once at night so it gets to about 80 heat is always between 70 and 80 usually at 75 when I check. But haven't noticed him eating except when my wife hand feeds him

They grow at very different rates, so it would be very hard to know if he is underweight unless you are weighing him consistently and keeping a journal. It sounds like you are doing everything right - except - hand feeding - DON'T DO IT! They learn to get very dependent on that, and then won't feed on their own, and that can cause problems if you ever have to be away for any length of time. Wean him off of that as soon as you can. They're so small when they are young that you probably won't notice lick marks in a bowl, but if there is poop, they are eating. They generally won't starve themselves, but it may take a while to get him to eat from a bowl now. Have your wife move the spoon (or whatever she is using) close to the dish whenever he's fed, until finally it's IN the dish, so he has to go there to get food.

Pangea is a complete diet, so he doesn't NEED insects, they are mainly for enrichment for your gecko. The terrarium is just fine, and is preferable to a shoebox anyway - better ventilation, easier to clean, etc. Make sure he's got plenty of vines and branches and foliage so he feels safe, and offer two feeding stations, one high and one low. Keep misting as you are. Temps and humidity sound fine.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Ok sounds good she has only hand feed him twice and he definitely has lots of vines and fake plants to hide I have 2 feeding dishes up high on the glass he is always up high never on the ground so I put both up where he hangs out more I haven't seen his poop really we use paper towels as substrate but I've noticed the white that usually is with the poop on leads of fake plants just not the rest so figured that he has been pooping since I've seen the white ill half to look better in his terrarium we've only had him little over 2 weeks now

Comment

Ya I just looked in his cage there are signs of poop do u need to spot clean there cage. I have a bearded dragon and a crested gecko as well always spot clean with the bearded dragon just didn't know for sure if your suppose to with the geckos to

Comment

In general, they won't starve, but it might take some time to eat them in a bowl right now. Let your wife move the spoon near the plate when she is fed until it finally gets into the plate, so she should go get some food. Pangea would be a good choice, Make sure it has plenty of shrubs, branches and aluminum foil to keep it safe and has two feeding stations, one high and one low. helps you to pay your fines.
          Last edited by orianajonathan; 10-10-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

If you don't have a bioactive tank, it would be a good idea to spot clean when you need to.
            Eileen
            TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
            Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

The terrarium is okay, and is desirable over a shoebox at any rate - better ventilation, simpler to clean, and so forth. Ensure he has a lot of plants and branches and foliage so he has a sense of security, and offer two taking care of stations, one high and one low. Continue moistening as you seem to be. Temps and mugginess sound fine.
              adobe zii 2020 download

Comment

Working...
              X