No announcement yet.

chahoua x crested cross breeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would try to breed them but i dont want to be viewed that i dont care about the health of my geckos.
    Josh
    1.0 cresties (zeus)

Comment

There's a bunch of controversy surrounding hybrids. As long as you take care of your animals and represent your stock correctly... I don't have any issue with hybrid breeders. In fact, I'd love to try breeding some of my own! There are always going to be people that tell you you're wrong... no matter what you do. People have their opinions and believe that it's "law". I just smile, flip them the bird, and go about my merry way. I say, breed them if you want to, just represent your stock accurately, don't mislead anyone, and don't do anything to harm your animals.
      ~Sarah~
      www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Comment

yeah

good attidude to have, and there nothing like flippen the bird.
        -Eli
        "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Comment

As long as its not misrepresented I don't have a problem with others doing it, I personally wouldn't bother however as who can say how an animal I produced would be represented further down the line?
          www.midwestherpetoculture.com

Comment

Hybrids...Hmmm
            I still not real sure where I sit on this.
            On one hand I do think some are very cool looking. On the other I have to ask myself is it really with the best interest of the animal or the hobby for that matter. Some of the crosses I have been seeing are not even from the same habitat types. Although the animal looks OK on the outside you have to ask yourself "WHAT IS GOING ON THE INSIDE?"
            This hobby as become so competitive that I think people are becoming impatient to be the first to produce this or that. Without fully thinking about the long term effects on the animals or the hobby. With the state of things around the world we don't really know what is going to be cut off next. I know there are tons of Leopard Gecko breeders that would love some fresh blood lines but can't get them now. Will some breeders misrepresent the animals? Probally will happen. If interest is ever lost in this or that hybrid I am sure someone will be misleading to unload animals. Also do you not think that a "NEW" color phase or pattern of Crested Geckos wouldn't fetch a high dollar? If you can make the cross and then cross it back and have a result that looks crested but has a different color I could see someone misrepresenting the animal. Then there is the thought of someone releasing one of these hybrids, I know cresteds wouldn't have any effect on any native species, but what about those crosses that are happining? What happens if they get released into the wild?
            Well enough of my soap box.

P.S. I do think natural hybrids are OK.
            Glenn Bishop
            G & M Geckos
            http://gandmgeckos.4t.com/

Comment

I have one of these and it is BY FAR my favorite gecko. It is the calmest Gecko I have and it is only about 10 grams. It has never tried to get away or poop out of fear, etc.

I see no problem with these hybrids. I am not saying I approve of doing this, but if you introduce a hybrid that is 1/10 chahoua into the wild, what trouble will that cause? They most likely all came from a common ancestor. eventually the chahoua genes in it will be almost completely lost. But i do dissapprove more of kingsnakeXcorn hybrids........bc of different habits. Soon you will have cannabalistic cornsnakes which could mess things up.

Eli,
              My hybrid was about the same price as a nice juvie crested and quite a bit cheaper than a baby chahoua.

This is my first post on this forum. I had just discovered it

Comment

There is no doubt that the hybrids are cool looking. The hybrid debate is a very heated debate in some circles. I know from seeing people debate this topic, that not everyone is ever going to agree about this. I personally will not breed hybrids or buy any geckos from breeders who breed hybrids. But regardless of your stance on the subject, let me say, that releasing a hybrid into the wild (and with rhacs the hybrids may not be sterile) would be very bad. Yes they all came from a common ancestor and fairly recently in terms of evolution, however it has still taken millions of years for the different species of Rhacs to radiate out into slightly different niches in the environment. If this new hybrid can somehow out compete the other species and infect their gene pool at the same time, then it would be only a short time before all that was left was the hybrid. Definitely hypothetical, but possible, and something to think about. Obviously nobody is going to release a hybrid in New Caledonia. 8)

Comment

If you dont mind me asking, how much was it and where did you get it?!

Comment

I guess sense the Crested Gecko is so common in captivity we are starting to forget only 7 years ago it was thought to be exstinct. Any polluting of the gene pool in the wild would be a tragedy. Do I think it will happen no I doubt it. But with their obvious troubles in the wild is it really wise to pollute the gene pool we have in captivity. The fact that you didn't pay that much more for it makes it even scarier.
                    Glenn Bishop
                    G & M Geckos

Comment

Is the wild population of cresteds small? I didn't think it is.....I thought that that they would be a slightly abundant species.

Comment

Yes it is small and is being decimated by introduced rats and ants. They may not make it much longer at all in the wild.

Comment

well its good to know that there are so many cresteds in captivity.
                          Josh
                          1.0 cresties (zeus)

Comment

The main island that they are from is only 250 miles long by 40 miles wide. Not much to start with. There are six (I think) other smaller islands close by. But still not much especially with the introduction of rats and ants as Matt mentioned above.
                            Glenn Bishop
                            G & M Geckos

Comment

I say try it and great hybrid you got there.
                              SWEET and SOUR like a TANGERINE fresh like a box of KRISPYKREMES!!!!!Powerful words for 3 Mc's and one Dj (Beastie boys)!!!!!!!

1.0.0 veiled cham
                              0.1.0 leo gecko
                              0.0.1 crested gec

Comment

Working...
                              X