Why don't their tails grow back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't their tails grow back?

It seems that most (or at least many) species of lizards have regenerating tails...

Are there any reasons anyone can think of as to why a crestie doesn't grow its tail back? It seems as though it's a "one shot deal" and the benefits of having a tail outweight the negatives, so one would *think* that nature would have evolved for them to regrow it back.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

[QUOTE=IndyCrestie;75037 It seems as though it's a "one shot deal" and the benefits of having a tail outweight the negatives, so one would *think* that nature would have evolved for them to regrow it back.[/QUOTE]

And that may very well be your answer. Depending on the needs of the species, expending the energy to grow back the tail may indeed be more of a negative than a positive. Since the majority of cresteds studied in the wild were tail-less, one would assume there's no real survival advantage to having a tail. There may in fact be a survival advantage in not having a tail that's not immediately apparent.

Gary
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Comment

I agree with what Gary said - there must not be an advantage to expending the energy to regrow a tail. Although any answer given would just be a guess as natural selection/evolution hs not been kind enough to write a manual for us!
      Dale
      "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Comment

I'm less puzzled by their inability to regrow tails than I am about why they can drop their tails in the first place. Considering they're prehensile and have an adhesive pad at the tip, they seem like pretty specialized appendages. If you look at chameleons, prehensile tailed skinks, or most other lizards with tails that act as fifth limbs, not many (if any) of them can severe them to begin with. They wouldn't have developed such functional tails if they weren't useful, so I'm inclined to believe that it's pure coincidence that they don't regrow them.
        http://www.facebook.com/appalachian.ectotherms

Comment

That's exactly why I would think they would evolve to grow it back. I know they can move around, adjust, etc..to not having one after dropping it, but you'd think it would be an advantage for climbing in the wild.

Not to mention the obvious advantage of being able to drop it twitching and distract whatever may be pursuing them so they can make a clean get-away.

Interesting that there may be an advantage to not having it...it makes sense coming from an evolution standpoint. I would think, though, that they would have evolved over time to not have one at all if that were the case, but who knows!
          A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Comment

I wish they could grow their tails back so I didn't have to worry so much about my babies dropping theirs. I think their tails add to the cuteness.
            1.3.1 Ball Pythons, 1.0.0 Black Roughneck Monitor, 0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa, 1.1.0 Burmese Pythons, 0.0.2 Crested Geckos, 0.0.1 Desert Horned Lizard, 0.0.2 Savannah Monitors, 1.0.3 Sulcata Tortoises

Comment

And humans, supposedly the most evolved creatures, can't regenerate any limbs.... nor can any other mammal for that matter (can anyone think of one?) It's definitely a reptilian quality! Perhaps the fact that the crested gets along perfectly fine without a tail is the reason why it's deemed unnecessary by Mother Nature, but you would think that being a very useful appendage would qualify it for regeneration.
              Mike
              www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dragontown View Post
                And humans, supposedly the most evolved creatures, can't regenerate any limbs.... nor can any other mammal for that matter (can anyone think of one?) It's definitely a reptilian quality! Perhaps the fact that the crested gets along perfectly fine without a tail is the reason why it's deemed unnecessary by Mother Nature, but you would think that being a very useful appendage would qualify it for regeneration.
                so does that mean Cresteds are the most evolved Geckos?
                ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
                1.0.0 appaloosa horse
                1.1.0 jack Russells
                1. husband

Comment

What gets me is that Chewies can regrow theirs, but only if it is at a certain place...
                  ~Christa~
                  Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Comment

I've never been a fan of the regrown tail look anyway... though I do prefer cresteds have tails than not!
                    Mike
                    www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

reptiles arent the only animals that can regenerate. for example: Axolotls can regenerate any limb [arms, legs, etc] and those are amphibians.

Comment

Working...
                      X