Humidity with coco husk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity with coco husk

OK, so I've swapped from paper towel to coco husk now my crestie is 23g. I don't feed live food so hoping digestion of the husk won't be a problem. My worry is the humidity. We swapped to the husk Friday evening. We then went away sat morning to Sunday eve. The humidity level was still 94 percent so too high consistently.

So, being new to husk, I had literally made up a whole brick and put this in. I'd also laid paper towel underneath. I regretted this almost straight away as I then realised this would constantly be wet.

I've just removed the paper toweling from under the husk, leaving the husk on the glass bottom with nothing under it. I've also scooped out I reckon over half of the husk, leaving a thinner layer of it, in the hope that this will begin to dry out quicker, thus lowering the humidity levels during the day until the evening spray.

Any advice?

Go get some plain organic soil. The problem with cocofibers is that when you hydrate it, it grows mold quickly because it takes forever to dry out. I would scoop some out and replace it with dry soil. So either you can use organic soil, organic peat moss, or go get some dry cocofiber from the pet store.

However realize cocofibers alone is not boiactive and the entire thing will need to be scooped out at least monthly. I would do partial changes every other week as all it is doing is growing bacteria. Instead I would do a bit of reading and set up the enclosure bioactive, at which case you wont want to use cocofiber as most plants dont like it. Once set up properly very little cleaning is required of a bioactive, basically cleaning of the glass, and occassional spot cleaning if needed, and replacement of leaf litter. The clean up crew of a bioactive is what keeps it clean.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Comment

I'm in Michigan and have been having the opposite problem lately with lower ambient humidity. I usually have some premixed coco husk that is dry on hand to mix in/replace as needed when I'm fighting high humidity. Also, air circulation makes a big difference. You could always use a fan in the room where your terrarium is. A mechanical timer can turn it on and off so you don't have to think about it, or worry about it constantly running.

Comment

Has someone else also got respitorial problems or even asthma from wet coco husk? I did. After speading it out at the glass bottom I a few hours later got clear problems breathing and got rinny eyes and it got even worse once I then opened the terrarium doors and inhaled it even more. It almost smelled moldy but was fresh new. It had to go! The fiber was not completely wet (50/50) to not get too high humidity in the tank. Now I only keep a good strong quaility of household paper to keep the moist and it works very well.

Comment

Working...
        X