Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time mom!

Hello!
    I have a newborn crested gecko. Literally popped out of his shell hours ago.
    I have baby in a small container with papertowel and pangea watermelon flavour food. How soon after hatching should baby shed? How soon after should baby start eating? I got to see baby come out of his little egg! So cute. :-) he was only in there 73 days though. Is that too early? Its so cute watching him lick his little eyeballs! When should he have his first poop?

Thanks in advance.

Hello! Just wanted to give a bump.
    Hatchling seems to doing well. Born last thursday. Havent noticed a shed yet. Nor any poo. I bought some tiny crickets to try and encourage the little dude to eat but havent noticed him chomping those either. (They are really small crickets) I boop his little snoot with pangea formula to ensure I see him licking a little off but so far havent seen him eat other then when I do that. Suggestions ?

Comment

I'm fairly certain they dont eat until after their first shed (of course you're putting food on its nose so it's kinda forced to eat) but otherwise I wouldn't worry about him not eating. They won't starve themselves and since it's a hatchling it doesn't take much to fill its stomach. Even when it's an adult you'll notice they wont eat for a few days or more prior to shedding. Crested geckos eat their shed so its possible it shed without you knowing lol

Comment

Originally posted by Roro27 View Post
        I'm fairly certain they dont eat until after their first shed (of course you're putting food on its nose so it's kinda forced to eat) but otherwise I wouldn't worry about him not eating. They won't starve themselves and since it's a hatchling it doesn't take much to fill its stomach. Even when it's an adult you'll notice they wont eat for a few days or more prior to shedding. Crested geckos eat their shed so its possible it shed without you knowing lol
        Hi! Thanks for your response and input. Most appreciated. He/she has finally had his first shed. I saw a little piece of leftover skin stuck to his thigh/bum area. Lol so last night at some point I guess as I check on him multiple times a day haha. I tried to weigh him today and my kitchen scale doesnt register his weight. It flips from zero to 2grams and back to zero again.

I have the tiny crickets in there but he just seems to run from them. I havent seen him eat any pangea nor repashy yet. It was a tiny little niblet I put on his mouth. Just dipped a qtip. Other then licking it off I havent seen him eat anything. But there was no shed strewn about the bin so I assume he ate that. (Unlike his father,who leaves his shed allover his tank!) He is alert and bright eyed though. :-)

Comment

After you had responded about the forced to eat bit I left him be. So it was only two tiny little tastes he got. :-)

Comment

That's awesome! He seems to be doing great. It's fine if you try to hand feed occasionally that's how he'll get used to you (:

They're so tiny at that age you'll need a scale that can weigh down to the nearest 10th (0.1g) of a gram for the most accurate weight.

Comment

Me experience has been they will not eat until after their first shed. They are still absorbing / getting nutrients from the yolk for the first couple of days after hatching.
              Also, 72 days isn’t bad for incubation. They will typically be a little on the smaller size if hatching at that time frame but overall should be fine.
              I wouldn’t worry too much about it eating Pangea right away. I would place a small amount in a cup, place it in enclosure with it and just leave it be. They WILL NOT starve themselves. Once they are hungry nature will take over and it will eat.
              Also, don’t forget their stomachs are TINY, so they might be eating such a small amount of CGD that you won’t really notice it. Good luck and congrats on your hatchling !!!

Comment

72 days is good. mine have been hatching around 60ish days, but mine do great. I don’t put food in for a couple days because i don’t think they will eat for at least a couple day’s. But I’ve had 100% hatch rate and no casualties since I’ve started last year breeding. Room temp eggs and same set up since I’ve started. I would love to do this bigger scale. I love doing this stuff. Replies are awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                X