New to breeding crested geckos need advice on how to keep the eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to breeding crested geckos need advice on how to keep the eggs

Need some advice on breeding crested geckos any tips or tricks any one has would be appreciated.I have two eggs at the moment they are on a coconut fibre substrate in a small container with some holes in the lid I’m going to open and mist the lid once a week for humidity/air don’t no if I should switch them to a vermiculite substrate or just leave them be I candled them the other day and they look red with like a weird pattern on one side and the other side of the egg is see through so I put the eggs in the substrate with the red side facing up without rotating them don’t no if that was good to do or not and if the eggs hatch any advice for keeping the baby’s thanks a lot

Vermiculite is way easier than coco fiber. You don’t have to worry about misting. I haven’t misted the same vermiculite in over 90 days and it still is fine and so are the eggs. And no holes in the container. Just open once in a while, once a weekish. Just wet the vermiculite til it clumps and no water squeezes out. I’ve had zero problems. Hope all goes well

Comment

And also when I dig the eggs up i put a mark on them and put the egg in my vermiculite with the mark upwards. When they hatch i put them in a 6 quart sterilite tub with a piece or cork bark, fake vines, small bamboo stick, and I just started putting a small cereal bowl with moss in it for a little extra humidity. And then I just give them the same small plastic feeding cups I give the adults but just a tiny amount of cgd. I’ve had no problems with babies except a few tiny shedding problems.

Comment

I personally keep min on aquatic pond soil, which is basically hatchrite. I prefer this to other means because you can easily tell if the substrate is trying out or not as it changes color. Im not a fan of soil or cocofibers because they can often discolor eggs. Generally if set up right, you rarely need to add water, and misting once a week will cause too much humidity. With the soil type substrates its hard to tell if it needs more water or not, and it can grow bacteria pretty quickly. APS and hatchrite are re-usable and easy to clean (just boil). You may or may not need an incubator, all depends on your temps. You want to incubate between 68-73 degrees, personally I shoot for 70-74. 74+ tends to cause the eggs to incubate too quickly, causing the babies to hatch out smaller, and weaker. When eggs push that 80+ days of incubation they are much larger, robust, and often have better crest structure. So if your house is on the warmer side, if you have a basement put them down there. If not you can always make a homemade incubator if youre not wanting to invest in an actual cooling incubator. That can be achieved by using a small cooler, cool water bottles, and phase 22 packs

Some eggs appear fertile by having what appears to be red veins. But they should have a distinct red "cheerio", or a bulls eye in it.
        lets just say I have a lot of stuff
        www.sublimereptiles.com
        Facebook
        BOI

Comment

Working...
        X