very energetic juvenile crestie, Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very energetic juvenile crestie, Please Help

Okay, hello! I briefly owned a gargoyle gecko for a bit over a year, and he was calm but energetic and healthy, and I could handle him comfortably and safely from the very beginning. I did hand-walking, let him climb up my shoulder, and he only hopped onto the ground a couple times ever.

I have recently gotten a juvenile crested gecko. Last time he (unsexed) was weighed, he was about 11 grams, back in June on the pangea website. I haven't been able to weigh him again for reasons that will become apparent, but he is around nine months old.

I began handling him three days after getting him, which was probably a bad choice and I should've waited longer, but I just let him hop from hand to hand inside his tank without taking him out.

The four times I've handled him since (I got him a few weeks ago) outside of the tank were so stressful and scary because he's super fast and jumpy, more than I've ever seen a crestie when researching them and watching handling videos. He almost escaped into a nearby closet a few times, and honestly that's my actual worst nightmare, and I'm sorry if this is all super dramatic, but I'm really stressed about this and I don't know if he'll get more used to me or grow out of it, but how do I possibly clean his tank if I can barely handle him safely? Today I did clean the tank and put him in a critter keeper in the meantime, and it was nearly impossible to get him inside and, surprise, he tried to scurry off twice in the process.

I think I'm going to give him two weeks of no handling to fully settle in like I should've in the first place, but what are some tips to safely handle a super jumpy young gecko? Will he grow out of it with time, or could this be his personality? I'm really worried about this, please help, thank you ! Sorry this is so long.

He will hopefully eventually outgrow it, babies and juvies tend to be a bit flighty and generally they settle down with age. So just give it time, keep working with him. Just remember they arent really delicate, you can man handle them a bit with no issue (just dont hold down on the tail). Eventually they learn youre not a threat
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Comment

Originally posted by Sublime Reptiles View Post
      He will hopefully eventually outgrow it, babies and juvies tend to be a bit flighty and generally they settle down with age. So just give it time, keep working with him. Just remember they arent really delicate, you can man handle them a bit with no issue (just dont hold down on the tail). Eventually they learn youre not a threat
      Thank you!! I did have to grab him once when he went for the closet, and it was gentle, but my hand was around him and he did Not appreciate it! He was trying to wiggle free and i felt so so bad and was scared he'd drop his tail, but it turned out okay. I just felt super bad for stressing him like that. I also see people gently put a finger on a crestie's back when holding them, and he leaps immediately at any contact. I guess he's just a bit flighty and not used to humans.
      Thank you so much though! That is reassuring.

Comment

Working...
      X