Can baby cresties find there food on the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can baby cresties find there food on the floor

Hi guys, was just wondering as this is my first crested gecko. I know they spend all their time up high but I do not have a magnetic food holder yet and I leave the food on the floor so I’m worried that my gecko will not eat. I’m currently hand feeding him but do not want him to be totally waiting for me to feed him and end up starving as he doesn’t know where his food is. Any tips on what to do? Also any good tips in general for first timers, I just want to give him the best life.

Yes they will eat from the ground. Just make sure it’s not covered by a leaf or something and it could help by putting it just at the edge of something they can hide under so they can feel secure while eating. My baby’s rarely touch the top food except for a few. Most of them perfer the ground food. Try to stop hand feeding immediately at least until it’s steadily eating on its own for 2 months. Try to make the food about as thick as yougurt. They don’t like it too watery. A baby can go a week without eating and be ok. An adult can go a month. They don’t eat much sometimes and it can make you think they are not eating at all. Use a water bottle cap for the food and only put enough so you can see if it’s been touched. If you think it’s not eating then put 2 crickets in there just before you turn off the lights. That will usually stimulate their appetite. And you could always try different flavours and brands of food. What type of food are using now? I it’s best to stick with Pangea and repashy. There are a lot of new crestie foods popping up. Some might be ok but Pangea and repashy is tried and tested and works.

Comment

Gradually wean him off the hand-feeding, as they can get very dependent on that. Leave some food on the floor for now, and hand-feed every other day, then every 3rd, etc. When you get a magnetic or suction ledge, keep the floor feeder there for a while as well, until he learns where both are. They generally won't starve if food is available, it's just a matter of learning where it is.
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

All of my geckos are fed on the cage floor. We do not have any being fed up high. Also as stated, do not hand feed these guys. If you have him in a large enclosure you can reduce the size of that or put multiple feeding stations in the cage.
        www.geckohaven.com
        Cin

Comment

Cresties have a good sense of smell and will find the food wherever it is if they feel like eating.
          3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

ALL of my babies and many of my adults are fed on the floors of their cages. They've never had issues finding the food.
            http://www.facebook.com/parisreptiles

Comment

I feed him the repashy cherry bomb and I have the mango one as well. I’ll definitely put smaller pot dotted around the tank as the pot I have is a little bit big for him at the moment. If I put the crickets in would it be best to dust them in calcium beforehand? Thank you for your help!!

Comment

Yes, dust the crickets before feeding.
                Eileen
                TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
                Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Try Pangea. I used to think repashy was better but a lot of my geckos will refuse it now and only take Pangea. I think that speaks for it’s self. If you don’t want to buy one just to find the gecko won’t eat it then ask your local pet store(not a chain)if you could get a small sample of whatever they are feeding their geckos.

Comment

Working...
                  X