Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Crestie Owner!

Hey everyone!

Tomorrow Iíll be picking up my first crested gecko from a local breeder. Iím pretty well versed on setup and care, and I have experience with a leopard gecko as well. But the breeder Iím going to visit has multiple geckos available, ranging from a few days old to three months old.

Any advice on how to choose and what to look out for in a healthy gecko?

Thanks!

Doesn't look like anyone answered you in time. Did you pick one out? Tell us about him or her!

A heatlhy gecko would not have a kinked tail; would not have any stuck shed when you bring him home, would have bright clear eyes, velvety soft skin with no sores or open spots, and not be exceptionally overweight or thin.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

It's okay, the breeder I purchased from answered a lot of my questions and took great care of all his geckos.

His (or her) name is Winston (or Winnie). He's just under three months old, and he's a lot of fun already!

I've done a lot of research and feel extremely comfortable with him and his setup already, although I am trying to get the heat right. My bedroom stays around 72 degrees F, but his tank has been teetering in the high 60s (potentially just because the eco earth under his paper towel is starting to dry out). I just moved him from a kritter keeper (with a 5W heat mat) to an Exo Terra Nano Tall (8x8x12) and he's been exploring it well. I got the canopy for the tank, which allows me to use a light bulb. The 25W blue bulb I bought brings the temp up a little too much (I turned it off once it got to 83 degrees) so I think I'm going to switch to a 12W moonlight bulb.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to keep the bulb on overnight and then turn it off during the day while he's asleep, potentially dropping the temps into the high 60s?

Thanks for following up with me! I'm excited to be part of this community!

Comment

Keep the bulb on during the day, and turn it off at night. Remember they are active in the dark, and if you have the bulb on at night, they'll think they're supposed to sleep.

In the winter, my house temps are low-to-mid 70's during the day, and upper 60's at night, and my geckos seem to be growing and doing just fine. There should be a cooler period during the night, just as there is in the wild.

Congratulations on Winnie! Sounds like he's got a great home!
        Eileen
        TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
        Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
        X