Help with 10 year old flighty crestie not used to being handled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 10 year old flighty crestie not used to being handled

I inherited a creative (approx 10 years old)
    He was given to a family friend, at the time he was fine being handled and would climb on to hand (very quickly though and would climb up arm etc)

He hasn't been handled by them for around 7 months.
    I've recently inherited him as they realised they didn't know how to look after him properly.

I tried to get him out to clean, and he was running around the cage, jumping, but very nervous, it appeared as though he was freaking out.
    I left him, but I really need to clean out.
    I've tried just putting my hand in for him to get used to it, but he jumps and runs and will just jump at out the front of the Viv so I can't even have the door open as he will jump out.
    I talk to him to try and reassure him. He looks at me when I'm talking and will stay. Sometimes I can get his food changed, other times he will try and jump in a panic out the front of the Viv, and others he runs away scared.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him used to being handled again? I desperately need to clean it out as well, but in becoming jumpy now with his behaviour as I'm worried he will hurt himself- or get lost!
    He's very fast

Apparently he used to sir calmly on their hands and handwalk, but now I can't see how I can even get him out.

Thanks

At his age and with the changes he's had, it is going to take quite some time for him to get used to be handled again. Some of them never like to be handled. For now, can you try to get him into a Gladware-type container so that you can at least clean? If he climbs on a wall, try putting the container over him, and slide a piece of cardboard under it to get him in - or try coaxing him into a toilet paper roll, and then put that into a container while you clean.

I know, I have a very jumpy gargoyle, that I have the same problem with. Most of the time I just try to take out as much as I can to clean, and then carefully clean the glass around him. It can be challenging at times!
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Half a paper towel tube is a good size for an adult crestie. If you can persuade him to get into the tube, he should be easy to lift to another location when you have to clean his cage.
      3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Thanks so much.
        What would you suggest to pop him in whilst I clean? Is container wise.

Sounds stupid but I'm worried of him suffocating and lid wise?

I hate the thought of him being stuck in a tank for the rest of his life if I can't get him used to being handled again :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Serendipity View Post
          Thanks so much.
          What would you suggest to pop him in whilst I clean? Is container wise.

Sounds stupid but I'm worried of him suffocating and lid wise?

I hate the thought of him being stuck in a tank for the rest of his life if I can't get him used to being handled again :-(

You can put him in a Gladware container while you clean. He won't suffocate for the short amount of time it will take you to do that, but you can also poke holes in the lid and just keep it for future cleaning purposes - just poke the holes from the inside out, so it doesn't leave any sharp edges for him.

He won't mind being "stuck in a tank" if the tank is big enough and has plenty of room to hide and crawl around in. Some animals will just never tolerate much handling and will end up being display animals, but if you keep them healthy and feed them right, and have a good environment, they will be fine. It's more "our" problem than theirs.
          Eileen
          TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
          Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
          X