Newbie please help asap!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie please help asap!!!

Hi everyone i just bought a crested gecko 2 days ago, he is a baby and looks like he was born maybe a week ago, im having a very hard time keeping the humidity in his terrarium stable, i have him in a tall container with holes drilled in for ventilation and the humidity keeps put between 80 % to 90 %, i was told this high humidity is not good for them for long periods of time and ive tried 2 different containers so far that didnt work, ive tried lightly misting, putting a paper towel down instead of moss, and i just bought a dehumidifier, i put it near the container for a little bit and the humidity stayed the same, the temp in the container has stayed from 70-72 degrees which i was told was okay its just the humidity that im having a hard time with, please let me know if there are any other enclosures i could purchase that would maybe help too and wouldnt be too big for my little hatchling, im stuck please help!

Exo Terra's and Zoo Meds are both good quality tanks. Look on Craigslist for one, or you can get them on Amazon, or at your local Petsmart/Petco. They have screen tops and ventilation holes, and are good and sturdy. If you have a baby, start with a small size tank - the biggest you should go right now is a 12x12x18, with two feeding stations. Plan on moving up to an 18x18x24 when he is grown.

What container are you using now? You can temporarily use a large Kritter Keeper if your baby is a hatchling (sounds like he is). Same thing - paper towel substrate, at least one hide, a vine of some kind, and some fake plants for now, while you look for a slightly larger tank.

You are doing right by using paper towel for substrate, and your temps are good.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
    X