New Crested Gecko mom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Crested Gecko mom!

I'm worried my little guy can't find his food. He dosent seem to be able remember where his food dish is located. I have showed it to him multiply times and eats quite a bit when I put him in front of it but if I don't put him close to the food, the food isn't touched. Am I be worrying to much or try moving the food dish?

They can smell the food. I wouldn't worry Are you offering him the cup one day, and then the next day just putting it in and leaving him to find it? He could still be full from the previous day's feeding.

You could get a second food dish and put it in another area of the tank, so it's even easier to get to food if you want.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

I was going to suggest that too, two feeding stations, one high and one low. They don't eat every day. Sometimes not even every other day. If he's eating sometimes, and is not losing weight, chances are he will be fine. Add that extra feeding station if you are really worried.

Also, your subject line says New Gecko mom - when did you get your gecko? Sometimes it takes them up to a month to feel settled in enough to eat. Do you have a lot of plants (fake or real) in there so that he or she feels safe? If they don't feel safe, they won't eat either, so they more places they have to hide, the more comfortable they will be.
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
        They can smell the food. I wouldn't worry Are you offering him the cup one day, and then the next day just putting it in and leaving him to find it? He could still be full from the previous day's feeding.

You could get a second food dish and put it in another area of the tank, so it's even easier to get to food if you want.
        I know they eat very little and not often, I showed him the dish, pit him in front of the food, he tasted it a bit then ran off and hid. I let him be for a few days and noticed the food was not touched at all. So i once again put him in front of it and he ate a lot of it. I was surprised to he could even eat that much. Which is what worried me is that may be he cant find his food to eat when he wanted and may have been going hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by TAD View Post
          I was going to suggest that too, two feeding stations, one high and one low. They don't eat every day. Sometimes not even every other day. If he's eating sometimes, and is not losing weight, chances are he will be fine. Add that extra feeding station if you are really worried.

Also, your subject line says New Gecko mom - when did you get your gecko? Sometimes it takes them up to a month to feel settled in enough to eat. Do you have a lot of plants (fake or real) in there so that he or she feels safe? If they don't feel safe, they won't eat either, so they more places they have to hide, the more comfortable they will be.
          I have had him for about 2 weeks now. He was a friends of mine that passed away and my friends mom didnt know how to tale care of it. I kept him in the same home and everthing just moved him to my house. He has plenty of fake plants which he loves to hide in. I am working on getting more climbing things for him. Maybe i should put an extra feed station in his hiding area?

Comment

An extra food station might be helpful for a while. Thank you for taking your friend's pet. I hope he thrives!
            Eileen
            TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
            Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
            X