Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My gecko is almost 3yrs old and still isn't growing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My gecko is almost 3yrs old and still isn't growing!

My crested gecko is turning 3 this year and still is quite small and skinny. My gecko eats good and poops good but still doesn't seem to grow. He looks skinny but he is quite active and seems healthy. I would guess he is about 5 1/2 to 6 inches long. I feed him pangea and he eats quite a lot. I don't know what I could be doing wrong

How's his temps? Humidity? What's his tank size? Are you using substrate and if so what kind?

have you been monitoring his weight?

have you brought a fresh stool sample to your vet for parasite check?

Is he sickly thin or just lean? If he's male, you'll find that they don't really get very round and stay quite lean.

Slow growers are common... but unchanging for 3 yrs is a bit extreme.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

RHis temps stay around 70-72. I spray his cage 3-4 Times a day. He's currently in a 12x12x18 which I know is quite small I'm saving up for a new terrarium. He's currently on paper towels but just until I get more eco earth which is what he's usually on. I haven't been monitoring his weight because I don't have a scale but I will but one within the next week or so. He hasn't been to a vet before but I'm looking into taking him. He doesn't look sickly to me just skinny and he doesn't have any symptoms of mbd. I just remeasured him and he is around 7 1/2 inches so sorry about that. But he's still small right? the pictures I inserted didn't have many accessories because I was cleaning his terrarium he has many accessories so don't worry about how it looks in the photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1187.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1071274
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1184.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1071275

Comment

Length isn't a measure we usually use for cresteds because its easier to weigh then to get a length. Do you have a scale? If so how much does he weigh?
        Facebook: Avid Exotics

Comment

I don't have a scale yet but I'm planning on getting one soon.

Comment

I will definitely not said it's small and skinny. Are you feeding him with live food?

Comment

I don't have a scale yet but I'm planning on getting one soon.

Comment

No I haven't but I'm looking into it.

Comment

Hmm, he looks healthy from the outside. Not really skinny either, more like just a lean look.

Perhaps see if you can raise his temps a tiny bit. Around 75F (no higher than 78F) during the day. although 70-72 is ok, it's more of a 'cooler' temp and a summer night temp. Higher temps help boost their metabolism so it may help kick-start his growth in a way.

Yes, I would def invest in a scale. Its one of the best ways to monitor your gecko and weight loss is the first sign of parasites, so it's a good preventative measure in a way. Average adult weight is between 40-60 grams.

I'd get a stool sample to a vet to check for any abnormal amounts of nasties just to rule that out.

Your guy looks to be about my Malakai's size, if just a tad bigger(about an inch if i'm going of your hand photo), and my Mal is coming up on about a year old now. haven't weighed him recently, but the last time I did he was about 25 grams:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Malakai10.jpg
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	1071276
                  Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
                  Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
                  1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Okay thank you so much. I will definitely be getting a scale soon. And I will raise his temps. Thank you again for your help!

Comment

Don't they get 6-8" in length as adults? I wouldn't expect him/her to grow in length very much, and not quickly. Definitely get the scale to monitor it's growth as everyone has said.

Comment

I think getting a scale and weighing may make you less worried. Seeing your gecko every day makes it hard to tell just how much they are growing. I still feel like one of mine is small but them I put him on a scale and he is 40 grams! I also then look at his baby pictures from when I first got him a year and a half ago and realize just how much bigger he is. People will also come over sometimes and comment on how much bigger he is since they last saw him to which I don't believe them but the weight doesn't lie!

From the pics he certainly isn't dangerously skinny. He is a nice lean weight like my younger boy who is much smaller then my 70g male (Who is a huge monster of a gecko). When I compare those two it makes me worry that my smaller male is unhealthy or not growing but he is eating and gaining weight so I know he is fine. He will probably never get as big since he has a much smaller head shape and body structure but that is fine since that is just the type of gecko he is. If I always compare him to my big male he would never seem big or healthy enough.

Comment

Working...
                        X