Looking for some breeding advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some breeding advice

My male is massive: 85 grams (includes tail), meanwhile my female is putting on weight very slowly and is now at 52 grams without a tail. I have had my male since he was a 3 gram hatchling in August of 2012. The female I purchased at Tinley in October of 2016. She has put on about 20 grams in that time. She is very shy and I only see her if I dig her out of hiding spot or if I check her cage in the middle of the night, after she thinks everyone has gone to bed. I don't force it often though. The male I don't handle a whole lot, but he is pretty calm and not shy at all. He's never hard to find and good with guests. They have been housed completely separate in the year and a half I've had them both. When I first got her, she dropped 2 infertile eggs within the week.

Picture for reference of the first time they actually met face-to-face, today. Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-03-01 21.23.16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1106398

They both eat Pangea CGD. The female refuses insects and bug burger. Any ideas to fatten her up? Do you think her slow weight gain is problemsome?

Most importantly, do you think she will be safe if I cohabitate them? Or do you think I should give her another year? I know that she is technically plenty big to breed, but he's just so much bigger than her.

(If it matters, I am an adult with the means to take care of a dozen baby geckos and/or a vet bill)
    current status:
    humans 1.1
    cats 1.2
    crested geckos 1.1
    leopard gecko 1.0
    and a dubia colony

I'm not breeding mine, so not that knowledgeable, but...I have always heard on here that two shouldn't be together unless they are close in size. So I'd wait the extra year. Have you tried the Pangea Breeding Formula food for her? Although it wasn't developed for that, I've heard that it can help put weight on a smaller gecko. My TAD is 7 years old and has topped out at 42g. I think he's just meant to be a smaller gecko. Your guy would be more than twice his size! Wow!
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Originally posted by TAD View Post
      I'm not breeding mine, so not that knowledgeable, but...I have always heard on here that two shouldn't be together unless they are close in size. So I'd wait the extra year. Have you tried the Pangea Breeding Formula food for her? Although it wasn't developed for that, I've heard that it can help put weight on a smaller gecko. My TAD is 7 years old and has topped out at 42g. I think he's just meant to be a smaller gecko. Your guy would be more than twice his size! Wow!
      I actually saw the Breeding Formula earlier today and ordered it, along with another flavor of regular Pangea. I'll set up a buffet for her and see what she eats most of. Yeah, my guy is huge, I'm a little worried that she won't be able to get too close in size. Thanks for your response.
      current status:
      humans 1.1
      cats 1.2
      crested geckos 1.1
      leopard gecko 1.0
      and a dubia colony

Comment

So last night I decided to put them together. He has the biggest terrarium, so I moved him into a kritter keeper, cleaned his terrarium, let her chill in it for about an hour and then put him back in with her. I set up a camera and streamed it to make it easier to watch later and watch from bed. Several times I checked in on them via camera, worried. He's SO much bigger. Could she fit in his mouth? I didn't catch anything too interesting live.

I found out a few things skipping through the video today: 1. They move very very slowly most of the time. Seriously, like sloths. I've had him for 5 and a half years. They are always so quick when you're handling them. 2. They stick out their tongues A LOT. You would think they were pretending to be skinks or something.

Anyway, I skipped through the video, and what do you know, my male, Eros, was a perfect gentleman. Alice, however, attacked him!! She ambushed him at least 3 times, and at least the first 2 times he pushed her off and awkwardly walked away. The 3rd time I could not see all of, so I'm not sure if they mated or not. After watching, I immediately checked him over and there's not a scratch on him. I'll sleep better tonight though!

Here's a video clip of the first and shortest incident.

current status:
        humans 1.1
        cats 1.2
        crested geckos 1.1
        leopard gecko 1.0
        and a dubia colony

Comment

Wow, that looked like a nasty eye-bite! And she really hung on - youch!!
          Eileen
          TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
          Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Yeah she's kind of mean, huh! I was surprised I couldn't see any evidence on him.
            current status:
            humans 1.1
            cats 1.2
            crested geckos 1.1
            leopard gecko 1.0
            and a dubia colony

Comment

If she is attacking him shouldn't you think about separating them? She must not be interested in breeding if she is being aggresive at the male and he is running away from her. I don't breed but that seems like concerning behaviour.

I assume the are sticking their tongues out alot because they are smelling each other everywhere and it is not normal for them to smell another gecko in their enclosure (especially one of the opposite sex). Also that is likely why they are moving slow. Slow movements are harder to notice and track, which allows them to better avoid the notice of their new tank mate. It's just like how cats slowly stalk their prey before rushing at the right moment to pounce.

Comment

Originally posted by Orchidilia View Post
                If she is attacking him shouldn't you think about separating them? She must not be interested in breeding if she is being aggresive at the male and he is running away from her. I don't breed but that seems like concerning behaviour.

I assume the are sticking their tongues out alot because they are smelling each other everywhere and it is not normal for them to smell another gecko in their enclosure (especially one of the opposite sex). Also that is likely why they are moving slow. Slow movements are harder to notice and track, which allows them to better avoid the notice of their new tank mate. It's just like how cats slowly stalk their prey before rushing at the right moment to pounce.
                Biting is normal breeding behavior. I think she was actually trying to initiate mating.

The sticking out tongues and moving-slow aren't really odd behavior, it's just behavior I hadn't noticed because being nocturnal, I don't usually watch them much in their active time. Same with the biting, most people probably have no idea what exactly their geckos are doing to each other at night; I only know because I recorded them.
                current status:
                humans 1.1
                cats 1.2
                crested geckos 1.1
                leopard gecko 1.0
                and a dubia colony

Comment

I thought the male was the one to bite, in order to get a good hold on the female for mating. The female biting would be more to keep him away I would think but then I'm not a gecko and maybe they don't follow the typical mating procedure.

I never suggested the other behaviour was strange, I was just suggesting why they may be doing it when other times they don't. My geckos tend to move faster then yours when they move around their cages (though not as fast as don't handle me speeds!) and the tongues only really come out when I handle them or put fresh food in the enclosure (new things to smell). Mine start being active in the later evening so I can watch them move around sometimes.

Comment

Give them a few more monitored time together in the tank, my scenrio was opposite, my female was larger than my male, and the first time I put him in there, she went after him like urs, and for a couple weeks, every few days or so Id put him in her tank, and then they ended up mating at the end of january and I already have a fresh new clutch incubating! I think maybe if you slowly introduce them for like 30 mins or so depending on behavior she will become receptive
                    Stay Sticky Friends - Crested Gecko 3.2.4 Bearded Dragon 1.0.0 Leopard Geckos 1.1.0

Comment

Definitely monitor them when they're together, the female biting the male is not a normal part of breeding as it is the male who initiates the breeding process by biting the female.
                      0.1 Correlophus ciliatus
                      1.0 Phelsuma grandis
                      0.1 Testudo horsfieldii

Comment

Originally posted by Revasius View Post
                        Definitely monitor them when they're together, the female biting the male is not a normal part of breeding as it is the male who initiates the breeding process by biting the female.
                        I knew it! I was sure the female shouldn't be attacking the male if she wanted to breed, but since I don't breed myself I wasn't 100% sure and the OP seemed to think they did. I wonder if maybe she is being so aggresive due to the size difference? Maybe he is so large she feels threatened more then wanting to mate.

Comment

Working...
                        X