No announcement yet.

Cleaning the Enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use unscented dawn dish soap to clean everything in my reptile enclosures and the enclosure itself. I only do a full cleaning of my cresties tank (replacing all substrate and washing everything) 2-3 times a year. I spot clean about once a month which includes removing any feces and cleaning any plants/hides with feces on them. Crested geckos are very low mess animals and you should definitely not need to clean every 2 weeks! As for mold, I had problems with my coconut fiber substrate getting moldy. In that case I removed all the substrate and replaced it. I have since switched to zilla jungle mix and it hasn't gotten mold yet. If you get mold I would do a full cleaning of the cage. If you use something like paper towel for substrate that would need to be replaced more often than 2-3 times a year.

Comment

thank u Eileen...super helpful! I just want him to b as happy as possible...I appreciate ur time and knowledge
      Mrs.Shud
      3 CG
      1-2 minature pinschers
      2 children(3)

Comment

Thanks! I have found a couple small mold spots and have removed all substrate in that area. Just found another today and decided that I would replace all the substrate tomorrow and use less and make sure it gets stirred up...if that doesn't fix problem, we will switch substrate! Thanks so much again...I am so grateful for this forum!
        Mrs.Shud
        3 CG
        1-2 minature pinschers
        2 children(3)

Comment

Originally posted by mrs.shud View Post
          Thanks! I have found a couple small mold spots and have removed all substrate in that area. Just found another today and decided that I would replace all the substrate tomorrow and use less and make sure it gets stirred up...if that doesn't fix problem, we will switch substrate! Thanks so much again...I am so grateful for this forum!
          I have switched to using F10 disinfectant, and when used at recommended solution, it is very safe and works very well. A little goes a loooooong way!

Driftwood will mold. I wouldn't use it in a humid environment.

Yes, best to replace your substrate if you are having continuous problems with mold.
          Eileen
          TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
          Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
          X