Tons of Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tons of Questions

This post is going to be a little long and I apologize in advance but I have a lot of questions and you guys have been so incredibly helpful. I've been doing a ton of research but there are still a few things I haven't found the answers to. First up, I have an egg that was laid 16 days ago that has turned partially black inside and has started to flake. Should I keep incubating it anyway since it hasn't started to mold? According to my hygrometer the incubation box is at 73.2% humidity. Should it be higher? I'm using an old deviled egg container as an incubator and perlite as the substrate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	egg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1105775
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170630_184737.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1105776

Next question, I now have 3 females laying viable eggs and I've read that they can lay up to 10 times from a single pairing. Is that always true? If so, should I provide all 3 females with a lay box instead of continuing to let them lay in the eco earth that is their current substrate? They are all in (partially) bioactive vivariums so the lay box would have to replace their cork hollows which they all love and spend a lot of time on/in. What is the best thing to use for a lay box as far as substrate and even the box itself? I have everything on the calendar for when they should lay next so I know when to check for more eggs.

Lastly, once babies start hatching they're going to need homes. I plan on using paper towel substrate and small pieces of mopani wood as well as some fake flowers and vines. Is that too much as far as decorations? What exactly should I house them in? I don't have much space so I was thinking I could use a system like some people use for leopard geckos with these boxes https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...-Unit/10401060 Or should I stick to single, non-sliding ones like these https://www.walmart.com/ip/Iris-5.7-...934#about-item ? If I use the non-sliding ones is it safe to drill small air holes in the sides so I can still stack them?
    1.0.0 Scorgi "Winston"1.1.0 Cats "Mr. Mustache, Daenerys"1.1.0 Mountain Horned Dragons "Charles, Charlotte"
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragons "Mushu, Thorn"1.3.6.6 Crested Geckos "Noctis, LunaFreya, Artemis, Pandora"
    More fish than I care to count including clown fish, damselfish, angelfish, gourami, loaches and cichlids.

The egg doesn't look great, but just incubate it until it either hatches or stinks.
    My gargs and crestie lay in their substrate. I weigh them regularly and when someone drops 5-8 grams, I start digging in the enclosure. You could try a lay box and see if they use it.
    To house my garg hatchlings (and the first 2 cresties I produced) I use 6qt (shoebox size) tubs that I can get at Target or equivalent for just over $1 each. Each box has a paper towel substrate, a coconut shell hide, a piece of cork bark laid diagonally over the hide for something to climb on, water bowl and food bowl. I have a lot more experience with gargs. They tend to sit on the cork bark and occasionally try, usually unsuccessfully, to climb the sides. The cresties swarm up the sides and are a lot more active, so beware!

Aliza

Comment

Hi there!

I have only just started dealing with breeding, so I will try my best with these questions. I agree that your best bet with the egg would be to just let it be unless it has obviously failed. If you are unsure, but think it is failed, you can always freeze it before disposing just as a reassurance.

I can't attest to the right humidity for the incubation box, as opinions vary. I would do some research on that and create your own opinion (I am still doing research on that myself!)

If you are comfortable with searching for the eggs, then I don't see why you need a lay box. I have one in my bioactive enclosure, and my gecko ignores it and lays her eggs directly into the soil. I missed two eggs in there once, and they both hatched, so it apparently was not an issue! I'm also still trying to figure out the best material for the lay box, but the eggs that hatched in the terrarium were buried in ABG mix soil, so that might be something to consider. I would reccomend taking a look at this video for ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDpM7E6Bzhk

Crested geckos can lay several clutches from one instance of copulation, so it wouldn't surprise me if they lay 10 times. Obviously each animal is different and this may not always be the case, especially if you mimic colder conditions (keep the lights on for a shorter period of time, keep the house or tank colder, etc.) so that they stop laying.

I also use the 6 quart shoe-box type containers for my hatchlings. I put plenty of holes in the sides with a drill (make sure to drill from the inside out so that the plastic doesn't hurt the geckos). These can be stacked, and are lightweight and durable. Inside I put some fake flowers that you can get in bunches at many department stores; just make sure to check for sharp edges. I like these because they tend to have wire in them, so I can bend them into a such a shape that the gecko can climb and jump. It also has less foliage, so I am able to see my geckos and check up on them without disturbing them. I personally do not provide much more than that, besides a rough, but not sharp rock (to aid in shedding) and my hatchlings seem very happy.

I hope I was helpful, and good luck!
      If I have been of any help to you, please consider hitting that "Thanks" button!

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply but we've had a crazy few days and are now getting ready to move after looking at houses for the last 6 months. The new house has a reptile room which I am super excited about! That egg has turned completely black on the inside so I'm thinking it's probably time to throw it out. It hasn't grown at all and the entire outside has started to peel and flake off. For now I've separated it into a deli cup because I just don't have the heart to put it in the trash yet.

We have decided not to use the pull out drawers because we don't want to accidentally hurt one of the babies since they do love to climb. We have an order in for the shoe boxes that have the locking handles. They're a little bit more expensive than the regular plastic shoe boxes but they seem a lot safer with a toddler around. Thanks for the drilling advice DoGecko! I never would have even thought of that. I've been saving all of our milk jug and gatorade lids to use for bowls. Will they need anything bigger than that at first? We've also ordered a few different pangea flavors, 5lbs of cork flats and hollows, and 5ft of fake vines that we can cut down and add suction cups. What kind of rocks do you use? We have a lot of local pumice stones. Would those be ok if we sanitize them?

I've done a lot of research and it seems like no one can agree on what they humidity should be so I'm going to leave it as is for now. The eggs seem to be developing nicely so I'm not too worried.

I love to get my hands dirty so I really don't mind searching for the eggs. They all laid their eggs behind their cork hollows the first time so I'm thinking that should be a good space for them to continue laying. It's a secluded space so they seem to be comfortable with it. We use a homemade bioactive soil mix that has been going for almost 2 years now. We originally made it for our Mountain Horned Lizards and we've never had any issues with it. It seems like the soil that most people use in their lay boxes is similar to our soil mix that we have in the terrarium already. I'm much less worried about a lay box now that I've watched a few videos actually.
        1.0.0 Scorgi "Winston"1.1.0 Cats "Mr. Mustache, Daenerys"1.1.0 Mountain Horned Dragons "Charles, Charlotte"
        2.0.0 Bearded Dragons "Mushu, Thorn"1.3.6.6 Crested Geckos "Noctis, LunaFreya, Artemis, Pandora"
        More fish than I care to count including clown fish, damselfish, angelfish, gourami, loaches and cichlids.

Comment

They definitely do not need anything bigger than bottle lids; they eat very little, understandably so, because they are so tiny.

I personally just use the flattest and roughest stone I can find, without sharp pieces. I haven't ever heard of pumice being dangerous for geckos. Again, just make sure nothing could cut your gecko and you should be fine.

I am glad your mix for the bioactive setup works, because mine was a failure Anyways, it sounds like you've done a lot of good for your geckos and hatchlings. I wish you the best of luck with your geckos and with the move!
          If I have been of any help to you, please consider hitting that "Thanks" button!

Comment

You've come such a long way in such a short time! I'm so proud lol. Glad you chose that option of plastic containers. My experience with the pullout ones were not good for living animals- always had a space at the top of the drawer, idk though maybe they are different kinds. Good luck with your move. I wish you the best with you cresties and crestlets. Post pictures when they hatch!
            .1.DOG Jiggles
            1.1.CRESTED GECKO Phantom & Lovely
            .1.YBST Cloveth
            .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
            1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis RIP
            1.0.2COCKATIELS

Comment

We've collected a bunch of pumice for our other lizards and they love it. Our beardie always rubs his back and head on it when he's shedding so that's why I thought it might be good for the geckos. We mixed it over 2 years ago in a big tub in our shed. We go and scoop some out whenever we need it and we've never had to do anything else to it besides adding leaf litter every 6 months or so for the springtails. We also mix it and water it every few weeks so nothing settles on the bottom and it doesn't dry out.

Yeah, after we went to really look at the pull out ones we decided that they are way too much of a hazard and we don't want any of he babies to get hurt. I'm so excited to move! Everyone is finally going to have their own space and the TV can go back in the living room! lol. I'll definitely post pictures as soon as they start hatching.

I want my animals to be as happy and healthy as possible! This forum has been so informative and everyone is so helpful. Thank you guys so much for your help! I really really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
              X