URGENT FIRST TIMER IN NEED OF INFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT FIRST TIMER IN NEED OF INFO

Okay guy so yesterday I went out to an expo and got my very first crested gecko (first reptile as well). We got him home safe and stress free and got him in the terrarium. Now I'm not sure if something spooked him or the stress of the move got to him? But without touching him, a couple hours later I saw him in the terrarium without his tail . Now I know this is perfectly okay, but this little guy is only 4-5 months old and pretty tiny. The gut suggested every night when I feed I should take the flat dull end of a wooden skewers to dab a bit of food on his nose to make sure he had atleast a little every night. He is SUPER flighty when I get near him, even if it's just the end of the long skewer. I'm considering just letting him be for a week or two to completely let the stress die down and allow him to settle in. Just putting a water bottle cap of pangea in every night. But I mean. Without knowing if he's finding it and eating it, how long will this guy be okay with no food worst case scenario?? Also should I wait longer than two weeks in this stress situation to handle and when I do handle how should I go about getting him used to my hand up near him and get him on? Thank you for any responses, I'm really freaked out about this and I want to make sure he'll be alright.

How big is his tank? How much does you're gecko weigh? Anything under 10 grams I wouldn't keep him in anything bigger than maybe a medium kritter keeper. If he's in something bigger and weighs under 10 grams I'd get him in a kritter keeper, and if you dont' know wut he weights, go get a gram scale from targert (or walmart, etc.) you can get a cheap one for like $10. A scale is the #1 way you'll be able to know if your gecko is eating or not. Make sure you get one that measures to the nearest tenth of a gram. Babies will often grow in tenth of grams bit by bit, rather than growing a full gram each time you weigh em. So it just makes it a little easier to find out if they're eating, etc.

It doesn't surprise me your gecko dropped his tail, moving is very stressful, just some handle it better than others. You're little guy wasn't one of em

I would definitely leave him alone, even with the skewer. Leave the bottlecap of food in his enclosure and let him be. You can check his food bowl when you go to replace it with new food, but I wouldn't constantly peek in to see if he's eating, you'll only stress him out more.

Getting a gecko used to handling is nothing but time and patience. Offer your hand slowly in front of the gecko and hopefully he'll walk on it. If he takes off in the other direction I wouldn't really chase him around the tank. You can also sit and chill beside his tank for awhile. Talk, do stuff. If you do manage to get him on you're hand, be careful cus he may leap around like crazy so have quick hands or he could hit the floor and take off running. You can try and get him into a small container and then take him into a room without any places to hide or crawl into so that if he does get away from you, he's easy to track down. Can't tell you how many times I had my gecko leap out of my hand and take off under my bed (he was calm on my hand but out of the blue he'd just decide to take leaps of faith lol). He was easy to get back, but sure gives ya a short little heart attack hehe.
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

I think a small plastic spoon (such as for babies) is a better option for hand feeding but I would not suggest that unless the animal is refusing to eat or is unable to feed itself.
      Unless your enclosure is too big, he will be able to find his food on his own. It can be stressful on the owner, wondering if the new addition is eating or not but human interaction is stressful on the gecko. In the wild, hatchlings must find food on their own, humans do not assist them and their parents do not remain with them.
      A tail drop can sometimes happen within the initial week after hatching. I have seen quite a few posts of breeders going in to change the food in a hatchling bin, the hatchling takes one look at the giant human staring down at them and bam! Tail dropped.
      If you are not keeping him on paper towels, I suggest you keep him on them until his tail nub is healed up.
      I 100% recommend letting him be aside from misting him and changing his food for these next couple of weeks.
      Once he has settled, some people place their hand near the gecko and let them get used to their presence for a while before actually handling, some scoop the gecko out of the enclosure and some encourage the gecko to walk onto their hand to remove them.
      To encourage him onto your hand, place one hand in front of him and use the other to tap him from behind so he walks (or jumps) forward.

Comment

If I just set the food in there and for some reason he doesn't find it and eat how long would he be okay?

Comment

A new addition not eating much or at all can be thought of as "normal" for the initial couple of weeks.
          I once read of a Crested not eating for six weeks upon being shipped to her new home. The owner said she later began eating again and bounced back just fine.
          Point is, they can survive for a while without eating if kept hydrated. I have not yet come across a thread of a gecko starving itself to death (unless there was an unresolved health issue causing lethargy and/or lack of appetite).

Comment

Working...
          X