Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crested Gecko concerns (mostly about substrate)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crested Gecko concerns (mostly about substrate)

So my male crested gecko is about a year old, and I've recently converted his habitat from one with no plants and flooring made from construction paper, to a moist habitat with coconut fiber substrate (produced by zoo med eco earth), a few fake plants along the walls, and I switched his diet from fluker's crested gecko food to Repashy. He kind of seems freaked out by the new substrate and has even kicked some of it into his water and Repashy, so I was wondering if he is at risk if he eats the substrate, or if he gets it in his eye, and also if I should be careful about how much I mist his tank, because I've only just started doing it.

The main concern with housing a Crested on a coconut husk-based substrate would be them consuming the long strands of coconut fiber, which seem to be indigestible and are passed whole. If a small amount is consumed, it should be passable but if a lot is consumed, it may cause impaction.
    You could add a layer of leaf litter to act as a sort of barrier.
    I think females are at a bigger risk of impaction due to the amount of substrate consumed while digging to lay eggs. If you purchase a female in the future, I would suggest using a different substrate for her.
    If you choose to include insects in his diet, offer them outside of his enclosure to prevent a mouthful of substrate.
    You could also try purchasing an elevated, magnetic feeding ledge to prevent him from getting substrate in his CGD. Here is a link...
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/31714

or you could use one of these to both feed and water him...
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/30879
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/30600
    http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/30599

In regards to misting, just ensure that his enclosure does not remain too moist, too often. If it does, it can cause mold growth, issues shedding, skin infections and/or respiratory infections. Misting is important though. Some Crested Geckos do drink water from their water dishes but much of their water consumption is from the water droplets throughout their enclosure produced after misting.

Comment

Well first off, even though it's not the end of the world, it bothers me. Your gecko's food/water bowls shouldn't be on the ground. They should be on a ledge (pangea sells magnetic ledges, i LOVE mine).

He's in a new tank now, so he's probably getting used to things. You say he's a year old, how much does he weigh? People usually don't like putting babies on substrate cus they're so small and they worry their bodies aren't big enough yet to pass the substrate should they end up eating some of it. But if your guy is over a year old and over 20g (i would say is a safe weight to not have to worry about that stuff at all) I don't think you need to worry, and getting dirt in their eyes isn't a big deal either, they just lick it off, and they're more than capable of spitting out dirt too.

You should be misting his tank at night and getting up pretty close to 100% humidity and over the day letting it dry out to around 60-70%. If it's drying out too fast, you can try misting a little heavier at night, or misting lightly in the morning.
      Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
      Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
      1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Ahh yeah, I think putting his food on a ledge would definitely solve the problem. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the tip, I'll look into getting him a ledge asap, and I think he weights at least 50g, so it shouldn't be a problem, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post
            Well first off, even though it's not the end of the world, it bothers me. Your gecko's food/water bowls shouldn't be on the ground. They should be on a ledge (pangea sells magnetic ledges, i LOVE mine).

He's in a new tank now, so he's probably getting used to things. You say he's a year old, how much does he weigh? People usually don't like putting babies on substrate cus they're so small and they worry their bodies aren't big enough yet to pass the substrate should they end up eating some of it. But if your guy is over a year old and over 20g (i would say is a safe weight to not have to worry about that stuff at all) I don't think you need to worry, and getting dirt in their eyes isn't a big deal either, they just lick it off, and they're more than capable of spitting out dirt too.

You should be misting his tank at night and getting up pretty close to 100% humidity and over the day letting it dry out to around 60-70%. If it's drying out too fast, you can try misting a little heavier at night, or misting lightly in the morning.
            Yeah, thanks for the tip, I'll look into getting him a ledge asap, and I think he weights at least 50g, so it shouldn't be a problem, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mechanical8Dragon View Post

Ahh yeah, I think putting his food on a ledge would definitely solve the problem. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitive View Post
                The main concern with housing a Crested on a coconut husk-based substrate would be them consuming the long strands of coconut fiber, which seem to be indigestible and are passed whole. If a small amount is consumed, it should be passable but if a lot is consumed, it may cause impaction.
                You could add a layer of leaf litter to act as a sort of barrier.
                I think females are at a bigger risk of impaction due to the amount of substrate consumed while digging to lay eggs. If you purchase a female in the future, I would suggest using a different substrate for her.
                If you choose to include insects in his diet, offer them outside of his enclosure to prevent a mouthful of substrate.
                You could also try purchasing an elevated, magnetic feeding ledge to prevent him from getting substrate in his CGD. Here is a link...
                http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/31714

or you could use one of these to both feed and water him...
                http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/30879
                http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/30600
                http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/#/product/30599

In regards to misting, just ensure that his enclosure does not remain too moist, too often. If it does, it can cause mold growth, issues shedding, skin infections and/or respiratory infections. Misting is important though. Some Crested Geckos do drink water from their water dishes but much of their water consumption is from the water droplets throughout their enclosure produced after misting.

Comment

Ah jeez I'm such a train wreck
                  This is the first forum thread I've ever posted in my life omg

Comment

if hes just a year old and already weighs 50g hes a freakin fatty, lol. y breeders are 3 and only weigh 45g! that is a pretty fat gecko. lol.
                    .1.DOG Jiggles
                    1.1.CRESTED GECKO Phantom & Lovely
                    .1.YBST Cloveth
                    .1.MINIPIG Judy(food&belly rub is kinda apig deal)
                    1..RAT CoconutRatMinneapolis RIP
                    1.0.2COCKATIELS

Comment

Working...
                    X