Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEY, Does anyone have any tips for a first time crested gecko breeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEY, Does anyone have any tips for a first time crested gecko breeder?

Hey everyone, i was wondering if anybody had any tips for a first time crested gecko breeder. I am very knowledgeable on crested geckos. So if anybody has any tips please tell me, and what do thinks is the best incubation substrate for crested geckos?

Please follow our reptile page on Instagram it's @CastReptiles

Thanks,
    Castreptiles.

I use vermiculite mixed with water in a 1:1 ratio in those little tackle boxes with one clutch per square to ensure mould doesn't get transfered over from clutch to clutch. If your female is a virgin, her first 2 clutches will most likely be duds but don't worry you probably already know about the separation and housing of breeding pairs and extra calcium suplement and such so I won't ramble about that lol. Eggs take forever to hatch and it's annoying lol, but so rewarding as a keeper, always have a nest box with the female because 1-2 breeding can produce 6-9 clutches a season so be ready for babies!!! As for incubating I like to keep my eggs around 70-73°, tho it takes longer for the babies to hatch, they will come out much larger and more developed with stronger bodies and larger crests and their survival rate is basically 100% unlike eggs kept at the 76-80° range, they hatch out smaller with almost no crests but come a lot quicker, usually around 60-70 days but survival rate goes down as the hatchlings are a lot weaker and smaller. Incubating at lower Temps usually takes about 80-100 days but the babies look a lot better I have an aggressive that's been sitting for about 150 days but the baby inside is alive and kicking XD so I've boosted the temperature from 70-78 over a 3 day period because I'm done waiting XD
    Best of luck for your first time! Remember to give the girl a cool down for at LEAST 2 months from laying, always provide a lay box for females that aren't breeding as they lay infertile eggs without ever breeding with a male (I call it a lizard period lol)
    Have fun breeding!!!
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Comment

I use vermiculite mixed with water in a 1:1 ratio in those little tackle boxes with one clutch per square to ensure mould doesn't get transfered over from clutch to clutch. If your female is a virgin, her first 2 clutches will most likely be duds but don't worry you probably already know about the separation and housing of breeding pairs and extra calcium suplement and such so I won't ramble about that lol. Eggs take forever to hatch and it's annoying lol, but so rewarding as a keeper, always have a lay box with the female because 1-2 breedings can produce 6-9 clutches a season so be ready for babies!!! As for incubating I like to keep my eggs around 70-73°, tho it takes longer for the babies to hatch, they will come out much larger and more developed with stronger bodies and larger crests and their survival rate is basically 100% unlike eggs kept at the 76-80° range, they hatch out smaller with almost no crests but come a lot quicker, usually around 60-70 days but survival rate goes down as the hatchlings are a lot weaker and smaller. Incubating at lower Temps usually takes about 80-100 days but the babies look a lot better I have an egg that's been sitting for about 150 days but the baby inside is alive and kicking XD so I've boosted the temperature from 70-78 over a 3 day period because I'm done waiting XD
      Best of luck for your first time! Remember to give the girl a cool down for at LEAST 2 months from laying, always provide a lay box for females that aren't breeding as they lay infertile eggs without ever breeding with a male (I call it a lizard period lol)
      Have fun breeding!!!
      Sam
      C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1

Comment

Sorry about the 2 replies...
        Sam

Comment

Working...
        X