Question about tank and soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about tank and soil

I recent bought a new Exo terra tank bundle. It came with a hide, temp/humidity gauges and soil. It looks like they hot glued the packaging to the bottom of the tank so when I removed it it left some hot glue and small pieces of cardboard stuck to the bottom. Would it be ok to put substrate directly over this? I can't get it off.

My other question is the substrate that came with it is exoterra plantation soil. Is this suitable for cresties and do I just follow the directions on the packaging? (Soak in water, press into tank). Can I put my created in immediately after that or do I have to wait? I'd post pictures of both but can't figure out how to post from my phone. Thanks!

Also is there anything I need to know about soil substrate? I've only ever used carpet /paper towels. Ive heard about spring tails and that they can be beneficial but are they also a nuisance?

Comment

Well if it's a baby or juvenile (anything under 20g) then use paper towel, if it's grown up then yes it will be fine to use the soil, just make sure to squeeze out access water before putting it into the tank, make sure to add loads of plants because those crested starter kits are pretty terrible in my opinion, not nearly enough foliage. Anyway, should be fine, sprint tails/isopods will eat poo/mould and die within a day after being outside the cage so their fine
      Sam
      C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
      Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
      Instagram: @sams_exotics

Comment

Yeah! I got him some hides and extra (fake) plants. I bought the bundle cause it was a good price and I liked the tank. He is 26 grams and an adult. I don't plan on feeding him live food.

Comment

Nice! Post a photo once it's setup!
          Sam
          C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1

Comment

Try to scrape of the glue with a razor

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 9.29.19 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1068697
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 9.29.11 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	1068698
              Ok this is what I'm working with so far. He can climb into the tree and i have some more vines to hang up I just have to get some suction cups from the store. I also might get a log or coconut hide at some point but I don't want to crowd it? Is there enough soil in there? (its about 1.5 - 2 inch, compacted). I have the rest of the soil in a bag, can I seal it and use it for later or does it need to be thrown out?

Edit: Sorry, i don't know why the images came out so small x:

Comment

It looks good!
                Sam

Comment

Dollar stores have suction cups or you can pick some up from craft stores or Walmart.
                  “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
                  1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
                  1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
                  0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
                  Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata

Comment

Working...
                  X