New to Cresties - Tank Placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Cresties - Tank Placement?

Hi there! I recently became extremely obsessed with Cresties, and have been doing a ton of research before actually purchasing my new little guy (that and I'm having the hardest time deciding on a few I have my eye on lol). I went out and purchased the 18x18x24 Large exoterra crested gecko "starter" tank. This is the one thing I wish I did more research on prior to purchasing, because I think I could have spent a lot less if I bought everything separately, and I'm not sure what size my guy is going to be yet. I guess worse comes to worse, I can return the tank and start from scratch.
    So my two questions are - is the tank kit I bought a "good" setup for a begginer?
    And the most important question is tank placement - are there any factors I have to consider as far as sunlight, noise, etc? There are a few areas I could potentially place the tank - one of them being next to my TV. My fiancé often falls asleep watching TV until 1-2am, so I'm concerned the noise and light from the tv may stress out the gecko. Tank placement is one thing I cannot find any info on, so any and all will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all and looking forward to jumping more into this forum!

So the 18x18x24 is good for an ADULT anything below 25 grams should be placed in appropriety sized tubs (2-10 grams in 6 qt container, 10-25 grams ib a 20-30qt tub 30 grams in an 18x18x24 is perfect) because you got the starter kid it comes with a few plants but you'll need a ton more, my rule is to always have at least 60% of the tank filled with plants and 40% open space for jumping/exploring, if you got a smaller one start it off in a container (based off the chart I did before on weight) and you need to make sure the tank is in a quiet room with not much traffic people/mammal wise (no dogs/cats in the room) I keep all my geckos in my room with the door shut, they don't need aditional lighting/heat unless you live in a cold place for 8 months of the year like me (Canada)

For substrate use paper towel for any thing under 20g because if you decide to feed crickets in the cage then while lunging at one the can get a mouth full of dirt which can cause impaction which often leads to death so I use paper towel for my geckos whole life as its cheap and easy to clean and I think it looks nice.

Feeding feed repashy or page as they are complete diets and you don't have to feed anything else the geckos whole life because their complete with everything the animal needs, most geckos grow out of eating crickets at around 20-30g. Mix the dry CGD(crested gecko diet)with water until the consistency of a thick smoothie.

Your gecko won't eat for about the first week after purchasing because they're stressed and need time to settle in, don't handle the animal for the first 2 weeks to reduce stress. If you bought a little baby don't worry if you can't see any food gone from its bottle cap because their tummies are tiny, 2 licks and it's full compared to some adults who eat like pigs (mine) and eat a whole milk jug lid full of CGD every night (their on a diet)

I hope I covered everything, if you have absolutely anything you're questioning or that confuses you just ask
    Sam
    C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
    Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
    Instagram: @sams_exotics

Comment

So the 18x18x24 is good for an ADULT anything below 25 grams should be placed in appropriety sized tubs (2-10 grams in 6 qt container, 10-25 grams ib a 20-30qt tub 30 grams in an 18x18x24 is perfect) because you got the starter kid it comes with a few plants but you'll need a ton more, my rule is to always have at least 60% of the tank filled with plants and 40% open space for jumping/exploring, if you got a smaller one start it off in a container (based off the chart I did before on weight) and you need to make sure the tank is in a quiet room with not much traffic people/mammal wise (no dogs/cats in the room) I keep all my geckos in my room with the door shut, they don't need aditional lighting/heat unless you live in a cold place for 8 months of the year like me (Canada)

For substrate use paper towel for any thing under 20g because if you decide to feed crickets in the cage then while lunging at one the can get a mouth full of dirt which can cause impaction which often leads to death so I use paper towel for my geckos whole life as its cheap and easy to clean and I think it looks nice.

Feeding feed repashy or page as they are complete diets and you don't have to feed anything else the geckos whole life because their complete with everything the animal needs, most geckos grow out of eating crickets at around 20-30g. Mix the dry CGD(crested gecko diet)with water until the consistency of a thick smoothie.

Your gecko won't eat for about the first week after purchasing because they're stressed and need time to settle in, don't handle the animal for the first 2 weeks to reduce stress. If you bought a little baby don't worry if you can't see any food gone from its bottle cap because their tummies are tiny, 2 licks and it's full compared to some adults who eat like pigs (mine) and eat a whole milk jug lid full of CGD every night (their on a diet)

I hope I covered everything, if you have absolutely anything you're questioning or that confuses you just ask
      Sam
      C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1

Comment

I keep mine in the dining room, we have no other rooms in the house that are big enough or suitable(one has a messed up vent so no heat or AC) and he does just fine in there. I have a noisy and clumsy 6 year old and it doesn't seem to bother him, I also stay up late at night watching tv or playing around on my computer and I still see him lurking about. A hatchling/juvenile would be more jumpy with loud noises but adults seem to be more relaxed and could care less.
        “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
        1.0.0-Leopard Gecko Ziggy
        1.0.0-Crested Gecko Axel-The Frogman
        0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie
        Various insect breeding projects-B.dubia, T. molitor, M. quinquemaculata

Comment

I agree with adults caring less, I've been in a martial arts class for 2 years now and my geckos don't get their lights turned off until around 9:30-10 pm 2 nights a week but still come out in the open and eat and do other gecko things like they would in the dark. But babies are more sensitive, I have no heating in my room but my geckos are kept there as there is a day care in the rest of the house so my room is the safest, I just use 60 watt house light bulbs from RONA to heat them in the winter, if you're like me and have no heating you can use a small heating pad with a good thermometer on it under the babies container to heat it, I find with containers that heat mats do heat the air in the enclosure
          Sam

Comment

I have heat in the rest of the house, just that one room that doesn't get heated or cooled, duct work is messed up.
            “I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?”-The 11th Doctor.
            0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie

Comment

Lucky, our entire house is screwy with heat so our house stays around 60 in the winter, we have horrible insulation too, thankfully were moving next September!
              Sam

Comment

We just bought our house literally the 30th of December in '14 and it's a 1960's house so the insulation is good but it still has cold spots in various areas. The dining room was a later addition to the house so it gets a little chilly in there on the really cold nights.
                0.1.0-Guinea Pig Brownie

Comment

Ha, you two (Jess, and Last Creature) are both lucky, our house is almost 100 yrs old (built in 1920) which equals horrible insulation! AND the heating/cooling pumps are complete junk. I have kept our gecko in the dining room since he was around 15 grams, he's now 28 grams. He does great in there, and we have a dog, cat, preschooler, and other kids in the household. Gets very loud sometimes but he does okay with it. The tank gets a little direct sunlight through the blinds in the morning for an hour or so, and the sun doesn't really bump up the temp much. Gecko doesn't seem at all bothered. Just my thought.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the tips! I ended up purchasing a juvenile that is currently close to 5 grams, he will (fingers crossed with no storms) be arriving on Wednesday. I am going to purchase a very small 3-5 gallon glass aquarium, keep it pretty basic with paper towel substrate, plants, and a hideaway - with a heating lamp as I live in New England and my apartment can get quite chilly during the day while I am at work. Is this an okay setup? I know you all recommend keeping them in plastic shoe box type bins, but I'd rather just do the glass aquarium as it makes me nervous placing heat on a plastic container. I will be placing the setup on a shelf in my living room that is high enough where my cats cannot get anywhere near it.

I purchased hm/her from L.A.C. Herps - here's a photo!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	12698191_781993011928912_2636820790796812792_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1068708

Comment

Thank you all so much for the tips! I ended up purchasing a juvenile that is currently close to 5 grams, he will (fingers crossed with no storms) be arriving on Wednesday. I am going to purchase a very small 3-5 gallon glass aquarium, keep it pretty basic with paper towel substrate, plants, and a hideaway - with a heating lamp as I live in New England and my apartment can get quite chilly during the day while I am at work. Is this an okay setup? I know you all recommend keeping them in plastic shoe box type bins, but I'd rather just do the glass aquarium as it makes me nervous placing heat on a plastic container. I will be placing the setup on a shelf in my living room that is high enough where my cats cannot get anywhere near it.

I purchased hm/her from L.A.C. Herps - here's a photo!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	12698191_781993011928912_2636820790796812792_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1068709

Comment

Sounds good! What a cute little gecko!! As long as about 60% of the tank is plant cover, it'll be just fine
                        Sam

Comment

about the houses my house was made in the 1860's but my dad insulated it

Comment

Working...
                          X