crested gecko picky about cap colors for food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crested gecko picky about cap colors for food

I have had a unsexed juvenile crested gecko for about a month now, i still cant tell his or her gender but i call it Rango, like from the movie .
    He settled in after about a week and was eating his cgd fine, i used one of those small clear water bottle caps to put his food in (and i cleaned it with declorinated water don't worry ) .
    And recently i decided to throw that one away because the food in it dried to a point where it was just gross and i couldn't clean it anymore, we didn't have any more water bottles so i replaced it with a diffrent colored blue cap, which had the same food in it, the only difference was the color. He refused to eat out of it ever since i changed the lid, i then decided to change it AGAIN to another lid, and he wouldn't eat out of it either!.
    I know cresties take time to get used to even simple things like different colored caps but is there any way i can get him to eat out of caps of different colors without having to take so long to adjust to them?
    I still make him eat by hand feeding it to him off my finger and i held the lid up to him today and he ate quite a but of it, but he wont eat it without help, it isn't the cgd that im using because i'v been using the same one and he loved it when it was in the clear cap, i only recently changed the lid about 3 weeks ago by the way, any advice would be appreciated!.

Also can someone tell me if he's underweight or ill?
    i got some pictures of him both fired up and fired down,i don't know his morph but i think hes just a harlequin
    Click image for larger version

Name:	11936439_878784755544993_56082819_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1098789

Name:	11928699_878784688878333_267452047_n.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1098790

Name:	11940649_878784625545006_97341521_n.jpg
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1098791

Name:	11921936_878784742211661_440845131_n.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1098792\

We will need a little more info... How old is he/she?
    How much does he/she weigh?
    What size enclosure do you have him/her in?
    Also, have you tried feeding crickets?
    Grippin Geckos Canada
    4.7.1⚥? - Correlophus Ciliatus
    1.1.0⚥? - Mniarogekko Chahoua
    0.1.1⚥? - Rhacodactylus Auriculatus... and MORE...

http://www.grippingeckos.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Grippin-Gec...9775225992793/

Comment

Originally posted by Grippin Geckos Canada View Post
      We will need a little more info... How old is he/she?
      How much does he/she weigh?
      What size enclosure do you have him/her in?
      Also, have you tried feeding crickets?
      I don't know his exact age but hes looks at least more than a month old, i have him in a exo terra, the one that's recommended for them, he's been doing fine in it and he finds his food fine despite what everyone else says about the cage size.I personally go by the rule of not feeding them any prey larger than their head and since he's so small i don't feel comfortable with giving him any crickets or live prey yet, at the store they never feed him crickets so i don't know if he would enjoy them anyways, but as he gets older i plan to feed him the occasional live prey.I don't have a scale for him yet because i never saw a reason into getting one and expected them to be more expensive than required, he's very active during the night and sometimes even during the day so i don't think he's actually ill.
      I think the issue is more of him not being able to adjust to different size and colored caps but if you think i should start feeding him live prey at his age i will if you have enough reasoning for it;
      Also excuse me if i spelled anything wrong.

Comment

Judging by the pictures, he looks to be around 10 grams. Well over a month old. A small scale goes for about $20.00. I think your animal is worth the $20 investment, to be able to monitor his weight/growth.
        From my experience, I've never had a baby gecko turn down pinhead crickets. They are animals and have strong hunting instincts. However, It tends to be adults that sometimes can't be bothered for live food.
        Also, I've fed a lot of geckos out of all sorts of lids, caps, dish's, etc. I highly, highly doubt that your gecko isn't eating because the lid is blue. If there is poop, he's eating.. Regardless, your animal looks healthy from the pictures given. I recommend purchasing a small digital scale ($20.00), and starting to feed crickets once a week. You will notice his rate of growth increase.
        Grippin Geckos Canada
        4.7.1⚥? - Correlophus Ciliatus
        1.1.0⚥? - Mniarogekko Chahoua
        0.1.1⚥? - Rhacodactylus Auriculatus... and MORE...

http://www.grippingeckos.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/Grippin-Gec...9775225992793/

Comment

Okay thanks for the advice!, next time i go out i'll make sure to buy a scale

Comment

Working...
          X