Driving to Alaska thru Canada - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving to Alaska thru Canada - HELP

We're trying to take our Cresties with us as we move to Alaska. I posted a thread about this several weeks ago and thought I had it all figured out, but now a few things have changed.

We're driving from Washington State up through Canada and into Fairbanks, AK. I have checked with border patrol and the Alaska laws for lizards - I printed out the Alaska animal/exotic regulations from their government website (non-venomous reptiles are allowed & not regulated). So at least I have that information. The Canadian border patrol is a LOT more difficult to get information from.

I did end up getting ahold of Canada on the phone after trying for several days and the Agriculture department said they don't regulate reptiles, except for tortoises, their eggs, and NO endangered species of course. That's it. But of course the regular border patrol people didn't know this. They just have info on their site that says 'reptiles are restricted, contact the Agriculture department.' So of course I worry that the regular border officers will be like "It says they're restricted" and not let us through without quarantine and all of that. We have kids and cats in the car too. I really, really don't want to go through that.

I have NO idea how to prove that it's okay for our Cresties to go through Canada. Do I print out information proving that Cresties are allowed, not venomous, and not endangered? Getting ahold of their border patrol is rediculous and we're leaving in less than 2 weeks. I've thought of printing out their website info that states the details of restricted reptiles, and also a Crestie info sheet from wikipedia... though that states that people are trying to get them on the 'endangered' list. That wouldn't help my cause.

ALSO, regarding car travel...

I do have two critter keepers, and I am going to add some fake plants and paper towels in there, I already have a thermometer, we're bringing the house thermometers we use now so we can monitor the car, and we're bringing a misting bottle. It should take about 4 days to drive to Alaska. Will they be okay that long? I rigged up a securing system with a deep tomato box and bungee cords so their tanks won't slip around. I am also probably going to tape paper on the sides of their keepers so they don't get scared - but I might not do that. It might freak border patrol out, lol!

ANY advice you have would be great. I don't want to deal with issues with the borders in and out of Canada, and I don't want to leave our babies behind. :-( Oh I should say we're travelling with a sub-adult and a juvie. They are both tough little buggers, and both boys.

I'd recommend you see if you can get the Agriculture bureau to send you something in writing on official letterhead that the cresties are permitted. See if there's a contact person they can reach at the office if there's a problem. Try to make sure you're crossing the border during business hours. Alternatively, arrange to have your geckos mailed to Alaska next day air after you arrive.

Aliza

Comment

I took 7 geckos across the country--20 hours of driving split over two days. I kept them in tupperwares with holes with paper towels at the bottom that were slightly damp. I kept these tupperwares in a cardboard box so the lizards wouldn't have to see road flying by or have my cats bug them.
      2.0.0 Cats (rescued: domestic med hair, and ragdoll--Podraig, Otemma)
      0.2.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli (High white Pine Island and Pine Island (x Bayonnaise) )
      1.0.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (GTA x Mt Khogis)
      0.2.0 Correlophus ciliatus (yellow flame, halloween harley, Eggs, Bacon)
      1.1.0 Mniarogecko chahoua (Pine Island)

Comment

I would have to agree with ACPart, if you cannot get ahold of the "Right person", just have them shipped.
        From what I have read,
        You will have to pay Canadian duties on the animals. Aside from that, the animals have to be inspected by " Fish and Wild Game", which makes almost zero sense. This inspection I believe is $50.00, and must be booked in advance because there isn't always one of these personnel on duty.

hooray, did you have to get your animals inspected? did you book this and pay fees?
        Grippin Geckos Canada
        4.7.1⚥? - Correlophus Ciliatus
        1.1.0⚥? - Mniarogekko Chahoua
        0.1.1⚥? - Rhacodactylus Auriculatus... and MORE...

http://www.grippingeckos.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/Grippin-Gec...9775225992793/

Comment

I didn't cross any border it was all within the US...so I don't help on that front
          2.0.0 Cats (rescued: domestic med hair, and ragdoll--Podraig, Otemma)
          0.2.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli (High white Pine Island and Pine Island (x Bayonnaise) )
          1.0.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus (GTA x Mt Khogis)
          0.2.0 Correlophus ciliatus (yellow flame, halloween harley, Eggs, Bacon)
          1.1.0 Mniarogecko chahoua (Pine Island)

Comment

Its probably safer to have them shipped than 4 days of driving. Plus it would save you a lot of hassle. If you can find a reptile breeder in you area to ship them once you arrive would be the easiest. Best of luck.

Comment

You don't need to ship them. Here's the Canadian government website that explains how to import pet reptiles into Canada (or bring them through Canada to an outside destination)

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1326658911065

You don't need to worry about special permits unless they are on CITES. Crested geckos are not on CITES.

Comment

Working...
              X