Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquisitive
    replied
    — You could also use a wood burner to create an entrance into the DIY humid hide —

Leave a comment:

• Inquisitive
    replied
    — DIY humid hide —
    Choose a plastic container big enough in size that your Crested could easily move around in. Create an entrance point by cutting a hole into the lid of the container or on it's side. Place some damp paper towels or Sphagnum Moss inside to hold the humidity. Before placing the humid hide into the enclosure, check the entrance to make sure there are no sharp edges that could damage or tear your gecko's delicate skin. If there are sharp edges, you could try smoothing them out with sandpaper or a file.
    You could also purchase a reptile cave humid hide if you want something prettier or more naturalistic.
    Last edited by Inquisitive; 08-11-2015, 05:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rocheles23
    replied
    How can I make a humid hide? I will try this tomorrow while Im at work and see how the temperatures are when I get home.

Leave a comment:

• Jaybee
    replied
    If the animal was overheated and dehydrated, getting it to a cooler point is more important in my opinion... if your temps are 80+ I would turn the air on, mist lightly in the morning, mist heavily at night, and if you are super, super concerned about humidity (drops to 50% are fine during the day - as stated, being sodden the entire day causes problems with respiration, shedding, and skin health), you can provide a little humid hide if you want to.

Leave a comment:

• Inquisitive
    replied
    Unfortunately, no haha I'm still searching for a highly accurate brand too. Seems like each one I look into, a good portion of the reviews claim inaccuracy. I think the best ones to look into are digital hygrometers with probes.
    I'm not sure what would happen if the humidity dipped below 50% for a while but I do know these little guys can't tolerate heat well.
    If Jaybee pops back in here, I'm sure she could shed a lot more light on this topic than I can.

Leave a comment:

• rocheles23
    replied
    the lowest Ive seen the humidity drop is 65. The heat rises though and it worries me a lot that if I turn the air conditioning on that the humidity will drop below 50 . I have a exo terra hygrometer in the tank, I was thinking of investing in a new one just to be safe. Any recommendations ?

Leave a comment:

• Inquisitive
    replied
    I provide a water dish, although I have never seen them actually drink from it, and give the enclosures a heavy misting at night — each location will differ though. If you have a good hygrometer it might be easier to gauge how often you need to mist. Humidity shouldn't dip below 50% throughout the day. During the night though, humidity should rise to about 80% and higher.

Leave a comment:

• Inquisitive
    replied
    Yes, there needs to be a dry portion of the day or there could be respiratory infections, skin infections and troubles shedding — not to mention mold growth in the enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• rocheles23
    replied
    I heard only 2x a day but I do it maybe 4? Im worried its too dry but then some people say it can dry out during the day if you mist in it in the morning and heavily at night but then I read that it always has to be moist but if its too wet it can cause problems

Leave a comment:

• Inquisitive
    replied
    How often do you mist the enclosure?

Leave a comment:

• rocheles23
    replied
    I have a standing fan for the room and I can turn the air conditioning on Im just worried about it sucking out the humidity ?

Leave a comment:

• Jaybee
    replied
    You just got the gecko a couple days ago, and it's been allowed to get too hot/dehydrate. Don't expect it to eat much until you get these things situated... they don't eat very much on their own and they really go off food when they are stressed by environmental factors. Your temps really need to stay low though or you will end up with a dead gecko. This is not a species to keep in a home you cannot cool...

Can you invest in a fan for the room? Or air conditioning? Even placing a frozen water bottle on the top of the tank can bring temps down a little bit for a couple of hours.

Leave a comment:

• rocheles23
    started a topic worried about my new juvenile !!!

worried about my new juvenile !!!

I just got a new juvenile crested gecko from the reptile expo in southern california on saturday
    well by the time I got home from the expo , my crested gecko was seriously dehydrated and almost died
    I was able to get her okay again with water , and she seems to be doing fine . But I'm seriously worried about her eating, I haven't seen her eat much. I always see her licking droplets but never see her eat, Im currently feeding her repashy but I think I might buy pangea. yesterday she was awake and i put some food on the end of a spoon and she licked some off, but Im worried she isn't eating on her own. I have her in a 12x12x18 right now and plan on getting a bigger tank in a few months. Her humidity is really good but Im having some problems with her temperature Im trying really hard not to let it go over 80 but when I came home from work today it was at 82 and it worries me it'll be hotter for the rest of the week how can I tell if she's eating on her own and keep the temperature down?
Working...
X