Quality Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Differences

This has had me curious for days now. A post popped up in the forum a few days ago about a lull in people purchasing High End geckos. In this thread, I seen mentioned that a lot of new breeders buy Entry Level Crested Geckos to begin with.
    I can usually spot what would be considered High End and some geckos are unmistakably Subpar but what is technically considered Entry Level? Is there a grand difference between a better looking Subpar gecko and an Entry Level gecko?
    I would super appreciate a detailed explanation or photos to demonstrate the difference between the three levels of quality.

I would think it's based on opinions? what one person may feel is high-end, I might not feel the same way and vice versa?

Comment

Its just opinionated based on price and appearance. Sense theirs no morphs the price and wether is a high end or entry level gecko is based on the general trend of peoples opinions which dictates which appearance of the geckos are in demand. Their is no definition or technical terms for ranking geckos. Unless the gecko is deformed I wouldn't consider it subpar. If I was going to categorize them it would be easiest by price: $1-150 Entry, 150-300 middle, and anything 300+ high end. Although to get into the really high end geckos Id say its 500$+, although its a small buyer/seller group at that point.

Comment

There is some room for personal opinion in all of this. Entry level are generally more dull or have less contrast overall and have just average structure. The price usually reflects all of these features as a whole. High end animals typically have good structure and are great examples, or high expression, of a particular trait or trait combination... or even a very clean looking animal with great visual balance. Subpar animals are more likely deformed, lacking structure and or are showing signs of husbandry neglect.
        We all have standards for our collection, so subpar, may be interpreted as less than what you want in your collection.

Comment

Oh, my god haha that makes so much sense now. Whenever I would see Subpar geckos mentioned, people would be adamant in suggesting that they never be bred. I always thought Subpar simply meant the animal doesn't have the most appealing appearance. Example being the appearance of any of my geckos. I purchased them cheap because I wanted pets. The female is the most patterned of them all and has not a single Dalmatian spot on her but compared to breeders, she has what I would call a very average amount of patterning and structure. I adore her and all of my geckos though so I'm not complaining about their appearance in the slightest but I never could figure out why people were so adamant about never breeding a gecko of their lesser quality patterning as long as the animal was healthy. I mean, I think a person should always attempt to breed the highest quality animal that they can. I can also say though, I understand not wanting to spend a ton of money on an animal you have never bred before and therefore do not know whether or not it is something you will love doing. Seeing the adamancy in not breeding Subpar animals always made me wonder how anyone new was supposed to begin with the price points of High End geckos.
          I had no idea Subpar is a term to describe a gecko with deformities, bad structure, of ill health or one kept in poor conditions! No wonder people say you should never breed a Subpar gecko.
          Thank you so much for the responses!

Comment

Well, for what it's worth, if breeding is the topic at hand, when I say "subpar" I personally do mean animals you shouldn't breed - whether for pattern being low-grade, or structure being lackluster, or there being a deformity.

If someone is just looking for a pet, I don't really comment on whether something is "subpar" because what an animal you just want to look at and enjoy looks like should not really factor into it.

The reason people are forceful about not breeding lackluster animals is because they can be difficult to sell. Which can make people breeding any-old-thing on a whim panic and sell or release animals for free when they start feeling overwhelmed. All of which only harms the market and can cause those who do panic to release animals to sub-optimal homes if they feel the pinch. If you're going to just keep your offspring for yourself, then, get on with your bad self.

Anyway, all of this is pretty much the same reason I wouldn't buy a $25 mutt off of Craigslist and breed it "just for the experience" with my neighbor's dog. There are already too many dogs being bred "just because," and I know picking up something cheap and mashing it up with something else cheap is going to cause me a lot of expense and effort.

When I comment about people breeding "subpar" geckos, it's not to cast judgment, but to really, really, ree-hee-heeeally encourage people to stop and think about all consequences. I do think there should be goals you set for yourself before jumping in, and I don't really think it's a bad thing if those with breeding plans need to save up a little more before jumping in :s
            JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Thank you for the input, Jaybee! As a breeder whom I have admired since getting into Crested Geckos, your opinion is awesome to hear.
              I doubt I will ever breed but if I ever did, I would spend the next few years really spending time with the ones I do have to better understand the species, do as much extensive research as I can and save up for a nice starting pair. In all honesty, a pair is all I think I could handle in terms of breeding and the amount of hatchlings they could produce each season. Saving up for two nice-looking ones wouldn't be so bad I still have a lot to learn though before even considering breeding.

Comment

Working...
              X