Likelihood this hatchling stays red?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Likelihood this hatchling stays red?

I'm thinking this little one might be a solid dark red one. It first hatched very dark looking, but then a got a couple pics now that it's a few days old that still seem pretty red to me. (more than just "hatchling red" I guess is what I'm saying) Thoughts from more experienced breeders on whether it stays red?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ELBL15.03 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1098586

Name:	ELBL15.03 3.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1098584

Name:	ELBL15.03 2.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1098585
    3.4.13 crested geckos!!

More likely than it turning green

Seriously though, I would say it's pretty likely that he/she keeps up the red coloring.

Visit us at facebook.com/ejreptiles! We're building an audience so we can begin our weekly auctions

Comment

Ha! too funny, I thought it was highly likely since the red is so strong to begin with. The pics aren't great...the red color is a little more obvious in person. I was pleasantly surprised as I sort of thought it was likely to be more of a dark brown/buckskin solid color after it first hatched. Looking forward to watching this little one grow in the coming months!
      3.4.13 crested geckos!!

Comment

Very nice! What do the parents look like? That can give a good indication whether it will stay red, and what type of red it will be - firetruck red vs brick red.
        Specializing in Crested Geckos
        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

The parents look nothing like this little one! The sure is a dark Halloween with little side pattern and the dam is a pretty Harley with creamy pattern, but not as dark a base color. She has a bit of a red-ish tint to her sometimes and has the blushing trait. Neither have much in the way of spots.

I've had 2 clutches hatch from them so far and each time there was one that looked like the sire and a solid that didn't look much like either....buckskin one first then this little red one.
          3.4.13 crested geckos!!

Comment

Hopefully, I get them facing the correct direction - these are the parent pics for the little guy above. Either wasn't fired up last night, or the red has faded a good bit...time will tell i guess!

dam

Name:	IMG_0036 ellie.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1068048

sire

Name:	IMG_0100 blaze.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1068049
            3.4.13 crested geckos!!

Comment

Looking at the parents I would guess the red will turn brown. Might surprise you though.
              JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

thanks JB, that's what it was looking like last night when I checked in on the little "red" one.
                3.4.13 crested geckos!!

Comment

Working...
                X