Difference between Repashy foods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Repashy foods

It's time for me to get some more MRP but looking through all the types i am getting confused. There is MRP, Grubs n Fruit, MRP-classic, MRP-mango Super blend. Also i read there are version 1.0 2.0 3.0 3.1 3.1d and cant figure out which formula is on a specific bottle. I also read that the Day Gecko formula is the same stuff just different flavor.

Could someone explain the difference between the Types and how to identify the latest formula ( i read the 3 series is really effective ). And in your experience whats best. I have a slightly skinny gecko, but very healthy... jumps, walks, poops, no shivers just eats less and i want to seduce him with something new.

Just to note I am from Bulgaria and can't get a hold of Pangea Fruit Mix as an additive.

Thanks in advance.

Here's what I learned from a Repashy manufacturing representative and Allen Repashy himself a few weeks ago:

All the Repashy crested gecko diets currently on the market contain plants and fruits mixed with various protein sources.
    There are 3 crested gecko Meal Replacement Powders. The products are called (I'm typing what I see on the bottles I have on hand here):
    1) "Crested Gecko Mango Superblend", which has insect meal, whey isolate and egg and plant proteins as the sources of protein and fat.
    2) "Crested Gecko Meal Replacement Powder, "which gets its protein and fat balance from different plants. There's no animal-based protein source in this one, just plant-based.
    3) "Crested Gecko MRP - Classic," which has whey and egg as the primary sources of protein and fat.

There's also "Grubs 'n' Fruit," which isn't a meal replacement powder for cresties, but can be given to them periodically. Its main protein source is insects. It's 30% insects and 50% fruit.

As you can see, each of these MRPs has a slightly different nutrition/amino acid profile. For that reason, Allen Repashy recommends rotating between all 4 of the diets to provide ultimate nutrition and to provide some enrichment to the gecko (it's more fun to eat 4 flavors of food than just 1 flavor). However, I know some crestie experts who just feed their cresties one flavor of Repashy their entire lives and they're fine. I think the Mango Superblend would be best for that purpose, because it has the broadest protein and amino acid profile. But if you could rotate at least two kinds of MRP, that would be better.

I feed all 4 of these diets to my baby crested gecko in rotation. I give him each one of the MRPs for two nights in a row, then the Grubs 'n' Fruit for one night. Example: I give him Mango Superblend Monday and Tuesday, Meal Replacement Powder Wednesday and Thursday, MRP - Classic Friday and Saturday, and Grubs 'n' Fruit on Sunday.

Comment

That was really helpful, particularly the second part.
      So i am thinking of grabbing Mango Superblend (the latest formula I can get), sounds tasty and most importantly insect meat! If i can't find it will grab one of the others. But I won't be able to offer more flavors, its a tad expensive for me. Currently with MRP powder. Had been using this one bottle their whole lives ( with some insects once a week) , which I got from the breeder and its time for a change. I hope they like it.
      But i gotta say i love it when manufacturers and breeders, respected people, like Repashy pop up in the forums and share some great info.
      Cheers!

Comment

I'm a pro herpetologist, but I'm not affiliated with Repashy. But I'm very fortunate to know one of the best reptile vets in the world, who knows Allen Repashy very well and knows all about the 15+ years of research Allen Repashy has done while developing his diets.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the "versions" available. Anything newly packaged with an expiration date within a year or two will probably be the most recent. I also like using the Day Gecko Diet, all the geckos seem to like that as well.
          Specializing in Crested Geckos
          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Damn I love it when pros in the field answer my questions, awesome answers.
            And since you have a ton more experience than I do, got a bit of an off topic question. Should I worry about my gecko I mentioned above, healthy looking but skinny. His sister eats really nicely nice and round but not overweight! Separate vivs though, same conditions. Not sure if it helps but the male (skinny one) has rly large feet/sticky pads with better pronounced crests while the female has small ones.

Comment

Well i bought this for my little girl is a good product ? Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1067946

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbeast View Post
                Should I worry about my gecko I mentioned above, healthy looking but skinny. His sister eats really nicely nice and round but not overweight! Separate vivs though, same conditions. Not sure if it helps but the male (skinny one) has rly large feet/sticky pads with better pronounced crests while the female has small ones.
                Males tend to be lanky when young, and might not be as filled out as females the same age. As long as he's not losing weight, he should be fine.

Originally posted by Ciocioy View Post
                Well i bought this for my little girl is a good product ? [ATTACH=CONFIG]67937[/ATTACH]
                Yes, Pangea Fruit Mix Complete is a great product. Flavors and ingredients vary but for the most part can be used interchangeably. You just want to be sure to use the "Complete" as the main diet. There are other products that are just meant as a fruit treat or in conjunction with insect feeding.
                Specializing in Crested Geckos
                Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Ciocioy View Post
                  Well i bought this for my little girl is a good product ? [ATTACH=CONFIG]67937[/ATTACH]
                  This is a Pangea forum, and the folks here say that Pangea Complete diets are great. I went with Repashy because, I (and some of my peers) am confident in Repashy's long history of thorough testing. I know a little more about Repashy's research than Pangea's, which also makes me feel more confident in Repashy. As a scientist, I tend to feel more confident with more data. I know that Repashy has raised multiple consecutive breeding generations of cresties for 15 years on Repashy CGD without feeding insects with no problems. Their formulas have been tweaked and refined along the way.

BUT

That doesn't mean Pangea diets aren't great, too! Pangea diets are newer than Repashy, which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing. For my baby, I went with the product that has proven to be successful over a longer period of time and multiple breeding generations. That's just my personal comfort level. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. According to Matt, head honcho at Pangea, all Pangea diets are *also* tested in house before being released to the public. Here's what he said when I asked about whether Pangea had been thoroughly tested:
                  "Yes we thoroughly test and raise geckos on the diets before releasing them. I released PFMC to the public almost 2 years ago. I took what I learned from the Original version (released 2010) and upped the protein and fat levels to create the complete versions we have out now. Typically we start by using a formula exclusively in house and make minor tweaks until we have a working formula. We then bring in a PhD in animal nutrition to comb over everything and make sure it's good to go. Once that all checks out and we are happy with our in house results, we send it out to to our testers for feedback. The last step is releasing it to the public."

So it sounds like Pangea diets are also well-tested and good. I'll let others who have used Pangea diets for a few years now pipe up with their opinions (and maybe some data? I'd love to see some data). I'm being careful not to say "Repashy is better than Pangea." I don't know enough to make that claim. I've made a personal choice based on my comfort with the information available to me. Others have had success with Pangea so far, too, so I'll keep my eyes, ears and mind open about it.

Comment

I have always relied on a several food sources, supplements and gut load. When the Repashy CGD had a change in the formula, there were many hobbyists/breeders claiming to have breddsing/hatching issues within the year, if I remember correctly. Whether they were caused by this product or not, it seemed to loose the faith of many users... I have no opinion and had no issues because I didn't use it exclusively. I have used the PFMC since it has been available and even when there was the fruit mix for occasional feeding as a special.treat. That was out for many years before the PFMC. I never had any issues and now use the PFMC and insects for feeding. I am very happy with this product.
                    As for the Repashy CGD, I believe the public didn't have their demands met when the issues came up and now the market has many more formulas. Right or wrong, we have options now and I think it is great that others have stepped up and developed new formulas.

Comment

Working...
                    X