No announcement yet.

OPEN DISCUSSION #11 why crested geckos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPEN DISCUSSION #11 why crested geckos?

This is an open discussion about the things that make crested geckos so great! Feel free to share your first experience with them and talk about the things that continue to keep you interested in them... you know, all those great attributes!

The first time I saw a crested gecko it was at a dart frog breeders house. The pair was just something cool that he came across. They were four hudred dollars apiece at the time and we're an orangey buckskin color... but man! Those crests looked cool!!! I passed on them at the time because I was there to buy frogs and they would have taken more than my budget would allow.
    Now that I keep them... there is so much more to them than the cool crests.

'Cause crested geckos.
    ChrisP is crispy! Get it?

Comment

Hah... should.have been discussion #12... rough morning.

Comment

Like all of the other geckos that I keep, I am fascinated by all of the New Caledonia geckos.

Now, if I could only find a pair of trachys that won't empty by bank account....

Comment

The only reptile I had any experience with was my 15 year old ball python. Then someone gave me a screen cage. I was thinking of getting a chameleon but decided to look up other species that could live in a screen cage. Crested geckos kept coming up, so I did some research on them. I was struck by all of the colour morphs available, I also liked that they were listed as a beginner species. So of course I had to run out and get a high-end flashy morph from a breeder. Once I had one, I found they're like potato chips. They're fascinating to watch, intelligent, and easy to care for. So my screen cage is still empty, but I now have five adults and six babies (at last count).

Comment

I wanted a reptile of sorts. Spent many weeks researching each lizard and snakes out there. I decided on cresties mainly due to their smaller size and their nature and the no need to feed bugs. I felt they make a great beginner pet for me.

Comment

My first experience with crested geckos was at a reptile expo. I liked their color and their conformation, so the breeder took one out and handed him to me. I guess I originally fell in love with their sticky little feet and soft skin, and with how easy they are to care for. Once I'd had Jem (my first and silliest!) for a couple of days, I fell in love with their goofy, derpy natures. (Note: Jem fell on her head last night. Again. She's really too big to do some of the things she tries to do!)
              Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

3.3 crested geckos: Turkish, Sollux, Pyx, Buttercup, Dandelion, and Jem.

Comment

I chose to get a crested gecko because I learned that they don't need crickets, there were packaged diets available for them, and they are relatively low maintenance compared to most other lizards. I had to give all but one of my reptiles away years ago when I became disabled (and consequently poor). I'm a little allergic to crickets, but mostly I don't want to keep a cricket culture going. So I thought I was doomed to a sad, lizard-less life until one of my friends in the vet field told me about CGD. What an amazing revolution in lizard care! Within a couple weeks (after researching, of course) I had my first crestie. The fact that they are adorable, beautiful, look like miniature dragons, stay small, have simple requirements (compared to everything else I've kept), and most have calm dispositions also factored into the decision. They are definitely the "easiest" lizard species I've ever kept. I'm hooked! It takes a lot of self control to not get a second one.

Comment

I had been looking for an easy to care for lizard that was handleable and didn't require a ton of live foods. I had a Uromastyx at the time but geckos are sticky! Also nocturnal so I liked the idea of having pets that I could see in the day or night. After learning more about them decided to breed because they were really colorful, could get crazy patterns, and having more than one didn't cause a big increase in time or money. Compared to Uromastyx especially - those guys need big space and really chow down the salad.

Since then I've discovered that cresties are probably still under-rated in terms of their "pet" qualities. They are a lot less shy than other geckos, have a wide range of personalities and are so soft - except for their nails that give me welts. Their ease of care is also a relief, I don't have to worry if we need to go out of town for a weekend.
                  Specializing in Crested Geckos
                  Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                  Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                  Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I kind of fell into crestie keeping, honestly! My girlfriend-- at the time, just my friend-- had done some research into various reptiles and had decided she wanted to give cresties a try, definitely in part because of their ease of care for a herp beginner. But when the time came to make the purchase, she didn't really have enough to comfortably afford the setup, supplies, and both the geckos she wanted, so I bought one of the little critters for her. They both lived with her for a year, and were mostly her hobby when she first moved in with me.

Then I found a dal boy I just couldn't pass up! That time I paid for the set up and the supplies, and the two of us have been keeping them jointly ever since.

I think the thing that appeals to me most about cresties to this day is how charming they are. I love how the diversity in their personalities and appearances makes each one a totally unique individual. I love the wacky antics they get up to-- I routinely find Thrust hanging upside down from the screen top of his viv by just a few of his toes! I love how soft they are, and that they're small enough to handle easily and with relative safety. I love how affordable they are, especially if you're just keeping pet-quality animals like we are. Their ease of care and simple environmental requirements are definitely a draw too! There are a lot of reptile species that I'd keep if I could, but I don't have the spoons or the funds to deal with the complex housing and care that some of the more demanding species require.
                    Cresties are just the right combination of affordable and appealing and I adore keeping them.

Here's to many more-- cresties and keepers alike!
                    3.3.3 Crested geckos (Dirge, Thrust, Cheetor. Hijack, Crita, Quakke. Rung, Blackout, Dragstrip)
                    2.0 Domestic shorthair cats (Riffraff, Binx)
                    0.1 Australian shepherd/chihuahua mix (Luna)

Comment

I never expected to own lizards. Years ago, my then-boyfriend bought a crestie after he got laid off. I thought it was a bizarre thing to do. Then he went on a multi-week business trip for his new job and I had to look after the gecko in his absence. I decided that her small cage with fake plants was inadequate so I put in some real plants and started taking her outdoors. She grew on me: I liked watching her react to the world and I enjoyed having a pet I could hold (unlike my fish -- I'm allergic to mammals and birds). I became very interested in learning about crestie requirements and behaviour, way more so than my boyfriend. We soon bought two more geckos, a male and another female. Those two had been kept together for a few years by their previous owner, but the female had never laid eggs and the male seemed uninterested in breeding, or so the owner said. (The previous owner was a kid who kept them in his bedroom with the blinds drawn all day. The tank was filthy and too dry, and didn't have enough hides). As soon as the tank was cleaned, a proper spraying routine implemented, and the geckos were among real plants and exposed to a normal day-night cycle, they did breed, and suddenly there were 6 hatchlings to deal with as well. At the end of my relationship, my ex kept the two adult females and I kept the adult male and the six youngsters. I still have all seven of them.
                      3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

i grew up on a ranch and always like lizards. would catch them if i could, but never knew enough on how best to feed or care for them so i would let them go after a while cause i didn't want to hurt them. i had never really researched various types of lizards sold in pet stores and just always though i wanted an iguana some day...just never really made the effort. then 1.5 years ago my wife was visiting a friend of hers that had a crestie. she thought he was really neat and about a month later she suggested we buy ONE. (emphasis added for my wife's benefit) I jumped at the chance because even though i didn't know much about them, i knew i really liked lizards! I then really studied them, joined this forum, and was up to 6 of them within a month of buying our first! (NOT my wife' idea...)

I decided I wanted to buy babies to grow out and breed for this year, but ended up buying some a little bigger since i wasn't sure my youngsters would be ready for this season. It's been very fun for me watching them grow and continuing to learn about the species. My wife has warmed up somewhat to my "gecko room" in the house, but I'm not sure she is really all that fired up about the breeding part, but she is a very good sport about it all and has a couple favorites. It's been a fun ride, have my first 2 babies now a couple weeks old, and am looking forward to more in the coming months!
                        3.4.13 crested geckos!!

Comment

I'm really enjoying all the stories! This really makes for a greater community here... thanks to everyone for sharing.

Comment

The way I chose my gecko was that he was the one who dangled off of plants in the weirdest way, like one back leg one front leg on the leaf, the rest hanging. Then, when we took him out, he pooped on me, so I figured he chose me too! (Little did I know that he would do this every time he was taken out). They're just so weird and easy to care for, and they come in so many beautiful morphs and patterns. Also they lick their eyeballs. That's always a plus.

Sent from my XT1042 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was really not expecting to get a pet, my friend has leos and cresties and I just fell in love with geckos. The only requirement to get it past the husband was that it not eat insects as its main diet so I researched and then fell in love with cresties and their gorgeous little faces.
                              From then, I asked my friend more questions and eventually held one of her cresties and my fate was sealed. Within a month we bought Rimbaud and I can honestly say that I will do everything in my power to make his life as fulfilling as I can.

I hope that by joining in with this community I can grow in knowledge and experience and have Rimbaud in my life for a very long time.
                              Rimbaud can be found at rimbaud.renton.es - if she feels like it!

Squiggle can be found surveying her kingdom, no website for this one though...

Comment

Working...
                              X