Obesity in Cresties..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obesity in Cresties..

I've been looking at photos of cresties (not here).. and I was amazed to see how fat a lot of them were.. very thick necks with some rolls.

How can you tell if a crestie is too fat? Is obesity unhealthy in them? How can you find the ideal healthy weight if each crestie grows/weighs differently?

I would like to know since 2 of my gals are big. Can it also be from genes or herdity.
    Crested geckos 4:5:15
    Chewie. 0:1:1

http://www.facebook.com/cjgeckos

Comment

Jaybee made a video about this issue.
      3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Can you explain the video please? I am at work, can't watch it, and I have no sound on my home computer

Comment

It basically is a good visual guide on what the difference is in weight, especially with females. The third gecko shown in the video is overweight at 52 grams. You can see the difference in direct comparison at the end of the video with a male of around 35 (good weight). While each gecko can carry weight differently, a good guideline in grams is 40-45 for most geckos.
          Specializing in Crested Geckos
          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

thanks, that is helpful I skimmed the video (since I couldn't play the sounds) and saw the weight differences. I've seen geckos much bulkier than the video shows.

Comment

JB of JB's Cresties wrote an article recently on her FB page that does a bit better of a job explaining the issues with overweight females here. Check out the link to see her pictures of her geckos she mentions in the article. This is some pretty good info, I recommend reading it!

"Chubby Geckos.
              I kind-of-don't-want-to bring this subject up because it sometimes gets people riled, but I am feeling pressured to cover it again because with this being "gecko breeding season" I am getting more questions about it. Keep in mind while reading that -this is my own experience only- and some secondhand discussion with others and their experiences with vets during necropsies and the like, and I am open to discussion as long as people keep things civil. A lot of folks don't like to discuss their failures openly, so hoping you can learn from mine!

I have been keeping these guys for about a decade now. Diets have come and gone and "common knowledge" updates every few years. One thing I don't change much on, however, is "fat does not automatically equal health."

As people have been pushing harder for raising the breeding weight for these animals, some folks recommending as large as 60 grams before breeding (it was around 30 grams depending on who you asked when I joined in), I have to state that in my experience, this is not always the way to success - just as, I would assume, a lower weight is possibly not the other folks' way to success. So this is just something to consider before getting your feet wet!

Here's my deal - I feel that as with pretty much any species, there is a point where the amount of fat becomes obesity, and again as with most species, obesity can have deleterious effects on reproductive rates. I have been dealing with several previously well-producing females over the years who were allowed to get "fluffy" and essentially stopped, or nearly stopped, producing eggs.

Yes, some females have larger, longer bodies and can easily carry 60 grams! However, even kept on the same diet as every other female, even at 3 years unbred, some of my females do not hit 60 grams. Many top out around 40 or 45. And then... the "cute chub rolls" start to form.

Again, in my experience, I have had consistently poor laying seasons from females that begin to have thicker bodies with "underarm" fat deposits, rolls along the sides when at rest, and fat limbs.

Once they begin to drop some few grams (SLOWLY... no crash diets for my girls), their breeding seasons become more productive and eventually normalize once again to 2 eggs per month.

What can we do to promote healthy geckos?

First... do not panic, and keep in mind these are my experiences only. So you maybe don't want to do anything!

Second... I still don't recommend breeding females under 35 grams and around 2 years of age (this time and weight is about how long mine take to start dropping duds on their own without being introduced to a male). This is in cooler northern IL temperatures and longer winters, on a diet of essentially various kinds of Pangea diet, mixed fruits, and what I feel is very important - live food once weekly. I do recommend that only females which are healthy and have a healthy background be bred (no geckos which have been fed poor diets their entire lives, "recovering" MBD cases, etc.). Their bodies should be well-filled-out - no visible bones sticking out of the head, rib area, limbs, or hips.

Third... Something I have found that is working to keep my chubbier girls a little more slender: larger enclosures. Watering the food down, offering less food, offering fewer fatty feeder insects - none of that worked very well in getting my geckos' rolls down. What did work was giving them a year+ in a 55-gallon-or-larger enclosure. Putting food dishes in different places on feeding nights so they had to get off their butts to search for it. I do feel that in many cases, obesity is helped along by cramming critters into close quarters with the food always in the same spot. Why move if food is within reaching distance?

I have seen some awesome girls for sale that I would have paid disgusting amounts of money for... but because of their fluff-rolls status, I have passed on the purchases because I know their reproductive rates might be a crapshoot.

Again, I feel like I am saying this so many times to wrap myself in bubble wrap: this is my experience, and I have spoken to several breeders with similar issues. This post is not meant to attack anyone in any way, shape, or form, but to hopefully encourage discussion that higher weight alone should not be one's only goal when going into breeding. "
              Come say hi on the Shaky Tail Exotics FB fan page and don't miss out on our fun Instagram account!
              Instagram
              iHerp Account
              Pintrest

Comment

For what it's worth, JB of JB's Cresties and Jaybee here are the same person.
                3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

thanks for posting that! It's even better

Comment

Working...
                  X