Kink and knot in spine, not MBD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kink and knot in spine, not MBD?

Hi. My male crested gecko has recently acquired a slight curve in his spine, and it looks like a little bump or knot on the right side of the spine. His legs feel a little weak to me and he's a bit shaky but I might just be paranoid. He hasn't been eating as much, but it shouldn't be MBD because he's fed every day on PFM and dusted crickets twice a week. Does he have an injury or something? Any advice welcome.

Here are some pics by the way. Kind of hard to see. Again, I might just be paranoid. The bump is right above the leg.
    Attached Files

Comment

I suggest taking him to a qualified reptile veterinarian. S/he can determine if it's MBD, a tumor or something else. www.arav.org has a tool to help find a exotics vet.

Comment

I agree you need to see a vet.

Even feeding an appropriate diet doesn't always mean you're bulletproof against MBD. Some genetically might be prone to develop it. Looks like he has recent weight loss; his hip bones look like they are protruding, but the photos are blurry and my eyesight is poor. There does seem to be a lump further up his back where his ribs end on the right side. Is that what you are referring to? Could be an injury which led to weight loss or some kind of tumor. I think the poor appetite/weight loss is secondary.

What are you dusting with? Does it contain D3? Do you gutload?
        Specializing in Crested Geckos
        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Yes that is what I'm referring to. I don't know, his hip bones have always looked like that. He doesn't like to eat. I'm gutloading with flukers dry diet and dusting with calcium and d3. I live in Iowa so its really hard to find an exotics vet, but I could try one of the emergency animal hospitals.

Comment

What brand of calcium? It is important. Too much vitamin D3 can actually cause bony deposits on the skeleton, and this can mimic MBD. That's why it's important to have a reptile vet evaluate, taking xrays if necessary, to rule out hypercalcemia vs hypocalcemia, hypervitaminosis d, and soft tissue irregularities. The right food and supplements is also important. The good news is that if it is from over-supplementation it's less life threatening at lower levels.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Its zoo med reptivite with d3. I did not know the symptoms of over supplementation, so thank you. It sure does sound like that.

Comment

I just checked and it has 22,907 IU/kg of d3. I read its supposed to be around 4000 so that is not good. Am i correct in saying that? If so, no more reptivite for him.

Comment

Working...
                X