Soon to be first time owner, little frustrated and need help setting up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soon to be first time owner, little frustrated and need help setting up

Hi everyone. I just stumbled across this site and thought I would share my story with you and see if I could get some help and/or suggestions.

I came across an exoterra at the local goodwill for $10 and you can bet I scooped that sucker up. I've cleaned it out and have it ready to start setting up - but that's where the problem lies.

It came with a bit of decor, namely a big wooden piece but I think there's been bugs in it because it's practically falling apart. I had thought at first it would be usable but it's really not so I started searching for other options.

I came across a thread where pipe insulation was suggested so I bought some of it. It came rolled, though, and the whole thing is bendy and just not working. The thread said they used nothing to hold it up, just cut it a little bigger and stuck it in but that's not working for me. Since it's not straight, it won't stay up and I don't want to do anything permanent with it because I would have to clean the stuff.

I've also come across many threads where they use bamboo but that, again, isn't possible for me. I've checked every local store in my small town (home depot, lowes, canadian tire, walmart, dollar stores etc.) and can't find anything except those cheap bamboo fences for gardens that are already put together. I can't cross the border into the states, either, and I'm pretty sure you can't bring that stuff back across the border anyway since you can't bring 'plant material' over.

I picked up a couple climbing vines from the petstore ($20 each!!) but AGAIN, those are not working! The stuff on them sheds everywhere and the suction cups just aren't staying up - with nothing on them.

I am just at a loss here. Does anyone have any DIY tips that could help me out with climbing stuff? I'm trying to be budget-friendly with this as I still have to buy the actual gecko. I did buy a whole bunch of plastic plant vines from the dollar store that will work amazingly, but I have nothing to wrap them around/hang them on.

Hey would you upload a pic with you.re terrarium in this actual stage???

Comment

Originally posted by Ciocioy View Post
      Hey would you upload a pic with you.re terrarium in this actual stage???
      There is absolutely nothing in it right now. It's just sitting empty!

Comment

Well i can show you how my terrarium looks like....if you want

Comment

Originally posted by Ciocioy View Post
          Well i can show you how my terrarium looks like....if you want
          Sure

Comment

Ok this pic i.ve made it 5 mins ago

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1067909

Comment

Ups you have to turn it ) well i have some plants a woos some sticks ans vines .....coconuts for hidding and paper towel as substrate

Comment

If you cut some thin pvc pipe about a quarter of an inch shorter than the span across your tank, put the black isolating foam oxer it, cut about 1 inch wider than the span across, it will act like a spring when you compress it and hold itself up.

Comment

You can get bamboo in the craft section of Dollarama and use toilet paper rolls and/or paper towel rolls for the hides. If you have small juvenile geckos, the brown paper coin roll things from Dollarama are also excellent hides for them.
                  3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Originally posted by Treebiscuit View Post
                    You can get bamboo in the craft section of Dollarama and use toilet paper rolls and/or paper towel rolls for the hides. If you have small juvenile geckos, the brown paper coin roll things from Dollarama are also excellent hides for them.
                    I have already checked all of the Dollarama's here The only thing they had were wooden dowels and they weren't very long at all and pretty thin.

Comment

It might not be the prettiest, but the cardboard rolls inside paper towels, toilet paper, or wrapping paper can be cut and stacked. My initial setup had one wedged from one wall to another on one side of the enclosure. Then a smaller roll was balanced on top of it, leaning against the wall, and my cresty enjoyed sleeping inside of it during the day. I should mention that my gecko is still a small juvenile.

Comment

I'm not sure what part of Ontario you're from, but if you're in the Toronto area there are reptile expos in Downsview every couple of months. The next one is July 12 I think. They're a good place to find discount reptile supplies including cork bark curls and bamboo. You can google Reptile Expo and find their website with a list of places and dates. If you have a Big Al's shop near you, some of them also carry reptile supplies. Gardening and hardware stores sometimes carry bamboo for use as plant supports.

I can't remember the name of it now, but I use black "vine" from one of the major reptile manufacturers. It looks like a black hose, but it has a rough surface and stiff wire inside to let you bend it to shape. It can be cut as well. My geckos love climbing and perching on it for some reason, and it's good for shedding.

To fix things to the side of the cage, you can use suction cups, the bigger the better. You can get them at dollar stores or hardware stores by the piece, in different sizes. The trick is to moisten either the suction cup OR the glass (not both) when you stick them on, not too much water, just a drop or two. And use the biggest cups you can find. The little ones tend to fall off after a while.

Cork bark is excellent as a climbing/shedding surface. You can find it at places like Home Depot as well as reptile suppliers. Just make sure to rinse it well before putting it in the cage. Some people also prefer to heat it in the oven at low temperature to kill any parasites. I only do this for the hardware store stuff.

I buy rolls of black plastic mesh gutter protector, again at Canadian Tire. They can be cut to size, then you can thread plastic plants through the mesh (or tie them to the mesh) and then affix the whole thing to the cage using suction cups and/or fishing line. If there are any sharp/pointy edges you can melt them with a lighter. I tie plants to them and then bend them into a tube which I tie with fishing line. The geckos love to climb on them, and to go inside the tube as a hide.

Comment

If you have exotic bird stores they might have more attractive dowels or actual branches. They usually have screws for attaching to wire cages but you could turn it upside down and put that end in the substrate. Be sure to cover the sharp screw end with a cork or something so it doesn't damage the glass.
                          Specializing in Crested Geckos
                          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Creepella View Post
                            I'm not sure what part of Ontario you're from, but if you're in the Toronto area there are reptile expos in Downsview every couple of months. The next one is July 12 I think. They're a good place to find discount reptile supplies including cork bark curls and bamboo. You can google Reptile Expo and find their website with a list of places and dates. If you have a Big Al's shop near you, some of them also carry reptile supplies. Gardening and hardware stores sometimes carry bamboo for use as plant supports.

I can't remember the name of it now, but I use black "vine" from one of the major reptile manufacturers. It looks like a black hose, but it has a rough surface and stiff wire inside to let you bend it to shape. It can be cut as well. My geckos love climbing and perching on it for some reason, and it's good for shedding.

To fix things to the side of the cage, you can use suction cups, the bigger the better. You can get them at dollar stores or hardware stores by the piece, in different sizes. The trick is to moisten either the suction cup OR the glass (not both) when you stick them on, not too much water, just a drop or two. And use the biggest cups you can find. The little ones tend to fall off after a while.

Cork bark is excellent as a climbing/shedding surface. You can find it at places like Home Depot as well as reptile suppliers. Just make sure to rinse it well before putting it in the cage. Some people also prefer to heat it in the oven at low temperature to kill any parasites. I only do this for the hardware store stuff.

I buy rolls of black plastic mesh gutter protector, again at Canadian Tire. They can be cut to size, then you can thread plastic plants through the mesh (or tie them to the mesh) and then affix the whole thing to the cage using suction cups and/or fishing line. If there are any sharp/pointy edges you can melt them with a lighter. I tie plants to them and then bend them into a tube which I tie with fishing line. The geckos love to climb on them, and to go inside the tube as a hide.
                            I wish I was near Toronto! It's unfortunately not an option for me to go there. But thank you for the ideas. I love the mesh idea! I think I'm going to try that

Comment

I too am in Ontario...I was able to find bamboo stakes in the gardening section in the Dollaramas
                              Michael's is also a great place to find bamboo, and plastic/silk plants.

Comment

Working...
                              X